• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by br.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Overtime at work question
  • handyman153
    Free Member

Afternoon STW.

Just a quick work related question, as I can’t work out my overtime entitlement at work.

My companies overtime policy is as follows –
    – Any overtime worked between 6am and 10pm can be claimed back via hours in lieu
    – Any overtime worked between 10pm and 6am will be paid back at 1.5 x time

My contracted day is 7.5 hours.
    So if i work a nightshift which goes from 8pm – 6am, what exactly am i entitled to?

This might just be me thinking too much about it, but I can’t work it out.

Thanks in advance!

perchypanther
    Free Member

2.5 hours at x 1.5

stgeorge

2.5 hours,less breaks, at x 1.5

slowoldman

If it’s shift work then I would hazard a guess that your 8pm – 6am is paid at standard time (with a 30 minute break thrown in). Any ADDITIONAL hours will be in lieu or as paid overtime depending on the time of day. Or night. Do you get a shift allowance?

handyman153
    Free Member

Cheers guys.. My initial thought was the same. But wanted it clearing up

the-muffin-man

Is it a proper nightshift, or just you working late?

A nightshift isn’t overtime, it’s a night shift. I would have thought there would be a pre-agreed rate.

handyman153
    Free Member

Slowoldman – I don’t usually work shifts at all, we had a project at work meaning I had to work a stint of nightshifts.. Hence it being an unusual thing for me to work out.

nealglover
    Free Member

In that case, your 7.5 hours will be paid as normal, and you will claim 2.5hr @ 1.5x rate.

Less breaks etc.

br
    Free Member

I don’t usually work shifts at all, we had a project at work meaning I had to work a stint of nightshifts.. Hence it being an unusual thing for me to work out.

Surely the correct thing to do was ask at the time you were asked, and ask the person ‘responsible’ for authorising your pay.

Anything else is irrelevant…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Overtime at work question’ is closed to new replies.