Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)
  • overt displays of affection in public
  • SaxonRider

A couple was apparently ‘humiliated’ when told by a security person to stop snogging in the middle of Cardiff’s international food festival this past weekend, and the photos taken of the ‘incident’ show that they were being pretty ‘in your face’ about the whole display of affection.

While I, personally, would not have found it offensive, it does seem to me that there are some lines of decency and respect for others, related to ‘where and when’, that these two people crossed.

I would not think that an out-and-out, faces-pressed-together, bodies writhing, extended snog* is the most appropriate behaviour for the daytime, all-ages, festival crowd.

Hand-holding? Yes. A light kiss? Sure. A hug? Of course. Anything more, and I would say, save it until the evening.

Thoughts?

*Description could be exaggerated.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

So long as no one gets their wanger out I’m fine with it.

jools182
    Free Member

I agree

Think of the children

Honestly though, I don’t really want to see it in a public place, wait until you get home

mark90
    Free Member

So long as no one gets their wanger out I’m fine with it.

No one involved in the snogging had (has?) a wanger.

D0NK

Just smooshing faces together I can’t see a problem with*. Any associated “fumbling” is not really for public consumption tho.

I reckon that’ll be the cause for alarm

* altho being in close proximity eg train carriage, the sounds of slobbering would probably be quite off putting

mark90
    Free Member

I’ve no objection to it in public in more approprite setting (18+ music festival for instance), but at an event with families/children around then it should be kept within pre-watershed limits of decency.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

In the name of taste, decency and consideration for the under-aged middle-aged…

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

In that case at least one of them has something more to worry about. Unless of course they are both laydees in which case there’s no chance of wanger exposure so as you were.

More seriously, I honestly have no problem with public displays of intense affection. Normally makes me smile and think how wonderfully lucky those two (it is normally limited to two) people are.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Thoughts without pictures? Even though you specifically mention pictures of an ‘incident’?

Piss poor STW manners there SR, please have a think about what you’ve done 😆

bearnecessities

I’m happy to engage in arse slapping, fondling and kiss chase in public.

However a kiss lasting any longer than 3s is where I draw the line.

All bets are off though if I actually know the woman.

SiB
    Free Member

You mean a couple were actually together kissing rather than doing it via social media and texts?? Absolutely disgraceful behaviour

C’mon, you were surely young and in love once….

Houns

Ffs what depressing reading!

Cougar

The subtext here is “two girls kissing, ban this sick filth” isn’t it. Slow news day?

Colour me ‘meh’. We’re far too uptight about stuff like this as a country, if not as a species. Generation by generation we’re getting progressively less so, and that’s a good thing. In another hundred years, the relatively liberal attitude we have towards sex and sexuality will seem as repressed to them as the 1920s does to us now.

Those screaming “won’t somebody think of the children” would do well to remember what causes children in the first place.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Just looked up the story as the OP’s post was a little vague. It was indeed two women.

The photographs of the kissing doesn’t look particularly intense. Is the real issue that they are both the same sex?

SaxonRider

Cougar, I don’t disagree with what you’ve said – although it does seem in this case that the couple was putting themselves ‘on stage’ so to speak. And no matter what the couple’s sexuality was, what people go to a food festival for – at least on a sunny Saturday afternoon – is unlikely going to include watching people engage in nightclub-type behaviour.

Even when I was young, and inclined to be a bit more expressive with my affections, I am pretty sure I would have recognised that there was a difference between a Sunday afternoon fair in the city park surrounded by families, and a night time rock concert (for example).

I certainly don’t believe it is necessary to suppress all suggestions of people’s sexuality at all times and in all places; I just think that where any of us express ourselves warrants consideration.

[On the other hand, if people reacted merely out of some homophobic impulse, then I have no sympathy. I deliberately wanted to leave the sexuality of the couple in question out of it.]

EDIT: Definitely NOT, muppetwrangler. The photos in other papers were more detailed.

Stevet1
    Free Member

although it does seem in this case that the couple was putting themselves ‘on stage’ so to speak.

I dunno, those two both look like quite shy retiring types.

midlifecrashes

I’m disgusted by that picture.

Cardiff: The Event Capital of Wales

WTAF is the word Event doing in there. Someone should be fired, twice.

Banner writer: GET IN THE SEA!

Nothing else in the pictures raises any ire.

scruff
    Free Member

what people go to a food festival for

Fish supper ?

IGMC

scotroutes

Maybe they have 😉

GrahamS

A couple kissing, even intensely, doesn’t particularly bother me and isn’t something I’d particularly shield the delicate eyes of my children from.

But a stranger taking photos of a couple kissing… that’s a bit odd.

Cougar

it does seem in this case that the couple was putting themselves ‘on stage’ so to speak.

They could be exhibitionists, could just be that they don’t give a toss what anyone else thinks. We’d be speculating at best.

And no matter what the couple’s sexuality was, what people go to a food festival for – at least on a sunny Saturday afternoon – is unlikely going to include watching people engage in nightclub-type behaviour.

Was watching them mandatory? Or could the onlookers just not help themselves from having a good gawp and taking photographs?

I’ve got a really effective trick for not watching things I don’t want to watch. I don’t watch them.

I do take your point, of course. R-rated behaviour is inappropriate at a family event. But having seem the picture posted above I can now see why two fairly attractive, colourfully attired young ladies having a bit of a pash might suddenly be deemed newsworthy. I imagine there’s no shortage of photographs to accompany this story.

SaxonRider

GrahamS: One does wonder how they got all those photos. It was in the South Wales Echo, but other papers carried photo after photo, from various angles.

cubist
    Free Member

Those screaming “won’t somebody think of the children” would do well to remember what causes children in the first place.

Beause sexualised 13 year olds with their great sense of responsibility and common sense is a great idea 😕

I’m not suggesting that a couple (of any gender combination) having a snog in public is an issue but unfettered ‘liberalisation’ leads to social problems with younger and younger kids getting their end away and as you rightly pointed out that’s where babies come from.

DezB
    Free Member

But a stranger taking photos of a couple kissing… that’s a bit odd.

I do that. I save them for when I get home, because public displays of self-satisfaction are also frowned upon 🙁

Cougar

Beause sexualised 13 year olds with their great sense of responsibility and common sense is a great idea

The horse has bolted, quick, shut the gate.

unfettered ‘liberalisation’ leads to social problems with younger and younger kids getting their end away and as you rightly pointed out that’s where babies come from.

Well call me Mr Liberal but, maybe if we actually educated children rather than “protecting” them from sex and pretending it doesn’t exist, we wouldn’t have that problem. Hmm?

Your average 12 year old may not have access to sex education but could have access to RedTube. Is that a particularly healthy situation?

GrahamS

I’m not suggesting that a couple (of any gender combination) having a snog in public is an issue but unfettered ‘liberalisation’ leads to social problems with younger and younger kids getting their end away and as you rightly pointed out that’s where babies come from.

Are you suggesting that there are 13 year olds that don’t know that people kiss?

annebr
    Free Member

I don’t mind them kissing as long as it’s not while they are stopped in a thoroughfare. I hate people just stopping in my way.

If your going to stop step aside. grrr.

cynic-al
    Free Member

That photo does look a bit exhibitionist…which is merely tedious.

globalti
    Free Member

You’ve got me. Where are the two women in picture 2? I’m playing Where’s Wally? here.

Sui
    Free Member

2 remotely attractive women kissing each other, whats wrong with that?

convert

Daily Mail version of events – yes, I know

Probably a bit of exhibitionist type behaviour from a couple of folk that (making assumption here) like to try and ‘shock’ with their lifestyle choices.

Meh, not personally that bothered but not very classy behaviour imo. But they don’t look like they would give a toss about my opinion. To be ‘shocked and upset’ by being told to cease and desist means you are either a bit thin skinned or a typical millennial and not used to not getting your own way.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

some more exhibitionists:

If they had blue hair* would people’s pants bunch/people yawn more or less?

*Blue-rinse excluded. That’s jumping the shark…

Plenty of opinions here and elswhere of course, and little or no comment on the girl’s statements or how they felt after being . i found this from Wales Online:

Mog said: “We were dancing to the live music and I kissed Freya because she looked so beautiful and it was her birthday.

“The someone come up to us and told us it was disgusting and to stop because there were children around but this was a public place and we were not doing anything wrong. I am quite fierce and not a shy girl so I brushed it off. But it did leave me a bit shaky.”…In a show of support to the girls two men also began publicly kissing and received a round of applause and cheers from onlookers.

Mog said: “These two men were complete strangers and I think in a drunken show of outrage and support they started kissing and some of the crowd cheered them on.

“This was so upsetting. I’m sure if it was a husband and wife kissing then nothing would be said. But I am made of tough stuff and I am just glad that it did not happen to other more quiet and sensitive girls.

“I spend a lot of time in my private space and don’t often go to public events like that so I am not confronted with things like this often. Growing up I encountered a lot of prejudicial behaviour but I left that behind.

“So I was shocked to encounter something like this again.

Cougar

I found the article in question.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/lesbian-couple-left-shocked-upset-9648393

A few snippets.

Mog Wilde and Freya … both work as adult performance artists.

So perhaps no surprise if they got a bit enthusiastic.

They met after being introduced by Freya’s sister, who Mog met at a lip reading class six years ago.

Mog said: “We were dancing to the live music and I kissed Freya because she looked so beautiful and it was her birthday.

“The someone come up to us and told us it was disgusting and to stop because there were children around but this was a public place and we were not doing anything wrong.

“Dancing and kissing,” perfectly innocent. Going at it like they’re on stage, probably inappropriate.

cinnamon_girl

Purple haired girl is preggers.

Northwind

I think it’s because one of them’s a girl and one of them’s a parrot.

scaredypants

Attention seekers get attention

Frothers get to froth

Win:Win, surely ?

GrahamS

“Mog” and “Freya”?

I take it all back… GET IN THE SEA.

rogermoore

Remove all puddings from said food festival, problem solved.
    RM.

crankboy
    Free Member

Dancing to a live band at a festival and having a snog with your partner not exactly a news worthy event.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘overt displays of affection in public’ is closed to new replies.