Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Overshoes or Waterproof socks?
  • d00m
    Free Member

Went out and did about 20 miles yesterday morning and it was pretty wet/muddy. Consequently I couldn’t feel my toes after about 10 miles.

Can anyone recommend a winter overshoe that’s suitable for use on flat pedals or a waterproof sock that works. My shoes are specialized BG Tahoes, very comfy but not really designed for winter use.

druidh
    Free Member

The Gore Waterproof socks are excellent BUT if you’re shoes are tight fitting you’ll not really get away with another layer underneath as the reduction in space will reduce the circulation of blood to your toes.

d00m
    Free Member

They are quite tight fitting. I have tried a dhb ‘thermal’ sock but to be honest I think I’d have had cold feet at the height of summer wearing them.

wafty
    Free Member

Seal Skinz socks get my vote ..

druidh
    Free Member

I’m afraid that by far the best solution is to buy some boots with enough room for a decent pair of socks. Shimano do the MT91 – which is great for hikey-bikey stuff and the MW-81. From the Tahoes, I’d go 2 sizes up (one because Shimano tend to be narrower anyway).

d00m
    Free Member

My other option is to fit the spds that I bought about 6 months ago and haven’t been brave enough to try yet.

I could try them and if I don’t kill myself get some waterproof overshoes.

mooman
    Free Member

Sealskinz socks .. with an elastic band around the top to keep water from running down legs into socks.
    Overshoes are ok .. but water will get in from the cleat area.

druidh
    Free Member

One issue with using SPDs is that they can create a little “cold spot” under your foot where cleat is. This is exacerbated by the pressure of your foot on that area – especially if you have thin socks.

ajantom

+1 for Sealskinz socks, and pay a visit to your local army surplus store where you can normally buy them for a tenner. Bargain.

erny
    Free Member

I’ve just bought some specalized defroster boots and they are far better than overshoes or sealskin socks which don’t seem to stay waterproof for long

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

I’ve had sealskinz socks but they were crap, I had the same foot cold problem, bought some overshoes from planet x and they are amazing.

Feet were so toasty!

Mackem

Flat pedals and walking boots with ski socks.

jambalaya
    Free Member

A recommendation for sealskinz from me, I have two pairs normal shorties and also sme knee length ones which are great with 3/4 shorts when it’s really wet.

OP If your toes are really cold might it be the shoes are too tight so restricting blood flow ?

d00m
    Free Member

I’m beginning to wonder if this is more of a ‘tight shoe’ than a crap sock issue. The dhb socks got great reviews but I was still very cold when I wore them.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Neither will be perfect as water comes in from above. Knee lengths aside you need to seal the tops. I use a 3″ length of m/c inner tube. Sounds like your shoes are no good for this task.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Dont get folks issues with overshoes your out for a bike ride not a walk

Neither solution described will keep water out for very long

Personally i use mw02 and mt500 overshoes

gasyz
    Free Member

I’ve got defrosters,but when it’s pissing down water still gets in through the neoprene cuff and they’re not that warm anyway,so I also use overshoes to keep feet warmer.I’ve used sealskins and they leaked waterproof boots leaked,I think in really bad weather nothing gonna hold up,so accept your feet are gonna get wet and keep them warmer with neoprene overshoes.

flybywire
    Free Member

ditto trail rat, overshoes the endura seamed types are best imo. Inside shoes seal above cleat cover with waterproof tape.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Yesterday I wore my Gaerne Vega’s with Sealskins & my feet were damp but warm, but it was a VERY wet ride with lots of standing water. On a colder day I’d go for my Shimano M whatever they are’s with either Sealskins or Wooly Boolies.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Overshoes or Waterproof socks?’ is closed to new replies.