• This topic has 23 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Del.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Overshoes are a bit gash – any waterproof sock recomendations??
  • gixer.john
    Free Member

Just back from a road ride in our pish autumn weather – put a pair of altura overshoe3s on and the water just streamed down my legs into my shoes. Wrinning wet socks and shoes with bloody cold feet.
    Anyone use waterproof sock, or do they go the same way?

ta

Gorehound
    Free Member

Try waterproof boots.

z1ppy

Gorehound +1, the waterproof socks I tried just got cold when filled with water which still happens, at least winter boots tend to stay warmer

Northwind

Gore waterproof socks are comically bad… It’s great that they have an equal opportunities but they shouldn’t have given the job of sock design to a man with no feet.

I get on OK with Sealskinz tbh. I still get slightly wet feet but far dryer than with no Sealskinz, and warmer too.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Thicker socks and mudguards.

mrmo
    Free Member

better overshoes, but would ask, did you have mudguards on?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

If you are prepared (I’m not) to shave your lower legs, then gaffer tape the tops of your sealskin socks to your legs. Then they don’t fill with water. But I’ve seen it done successfully.

Jamie
    Free Member

Merino socks.

Wet, but warm.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Seakskinz are good. But if the waters running down your leg they might be as bad as you overshoes.

Where you on the road or a MB?

Waterproof trousers and sealskinz work really well for me when it’s tipping it down.

gixer.john
    Free Member

Was on the road bike – don’t see mudguards making much of a difference if the water is running straight down my legs.

mrmo
    Free Member

Was on the road bike – don’t see mudguards making much of a difference if the water is running straight down my legs.

what happens is huge amounts of water get thrown up by the front wheel towards your feet and shins. Mudguards make a vast difference, yes they look S*** but they work. ( as long as you get proper full length SKS types. )

0pt1cal
    Free Member

I have used regular shoes, seal skins and overshoes, but they don’t keep your feet warm. A move to winter boots to keep your feet warm when wet works if you want to ride in the worst weather.

mattsccm
    Free Member

You have answered your own question. It runs down your legs and in the big hole at the top.
    If you don’t want to tape your leg scrounge an old m/c inner tube. A front off road size is about right. Say about 3″. Cut a section and fit it to your leg before putting shoes on. Use it as an overlap to the overshoes/socks. Bombproof and reuseable.
    If you bhave skinny legs use your old push bike tubes!

eyerideit
    Free Member

mattsccm – Member
    You have answered your own question. It runs down your legs and in the big hole at the top.
    If you don’t want to tape your leg scrounge an old m/c inner tube. A front off road size is about right. Say about 3″. Cut a section and fit it to your leg before putting shoes on. Use it as an overlap to the overshoes/socks. Bombproof and reuseable.
    If you bhave skinny legs use your old push bike tubes!

Genius 😀 and a bit kinky

greenhelmet
    Free Member

i have a pair of pirrelli dry socks they are fantastic despite they were £30 but i have had them atleast 7yrs so ive had my moneys worth out of them. i stick on a small pair of socks under them on cold wet days and they are still dry wen i get home. im not sure if there still available tho??

mattsccm
    Free Member

Inner tubes of the correct size also work well as compression tights! an excellent source of rubber bands, the perfect thing for a fork mounted mud flap or even a mudgaurd extention and handy for wrapping sharp things in.
    Ask a motorcycle shop if you can raid their bin.

boblo
    Free Member

greenhelmet – Member
    i have a pair of pirrelli dry socks <snip>

Porelle surely? The precursor to the Marmite Sealskins.

I’ve tried Sealskins and the Gore Gore-Tex ones. I prefer the Gore ones. They lasted exactly 3 weeks of constant wear before strating to leak when I did the Munros a couple of years ago. I recon that’s 6-12 months of equivalent MTB use.

MSP

Just wearing tights and pulling them over the top of you socks/boots/overshoes is the obvious answer.

Wearing shorts in the pissing rain doesn’t make you look like a hardman, it just lets the world know your an idiot.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of these…

No wet feet here….. 🙂

stufive
    Free Member

Ive had selskinz socks and gloves the socks are too thick for me for road shoes and the membrane soon goes in them then they pour in, ive got some thin endura water proof over shoes that ar pretty good but i think whatever you do your gonna get wet in the end 🙁

honourablegeorge

I’d recommend not bothering with waterproof socks.

andymc06
    Free Member

+1 for Merino socks. At least you are warm when the inevitable wetness takes hold.

cuberider
    Free Member

+1 Merino socks. Boots for winter.

I have tried Sealskinz but they got very cold when wet.

Del

have had great results with gore socks and recommend heartily.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Overshoes are a bit gash – any waterproof sock recomendations??’ is closed to new replies.