Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Overpaid childcare via vouchers – any experience?
  • Pook

The standing order through which I paid my childcare to the nursery seemingly didn’t cancel when I instructed it to, so as a result I’ve overpaid (via Edenred/childcare vouchers tax free salary deduction payment) the nursery by £500.

– Edenred say it’s down to the nursery to pay me back directly, and for me to inform HMRC
    – My employer says it’s down to the nursery to pay the voucher company back.
    – The nursery say they normally deduct overpayments from future batches and thus it will redress in Edenred’s accounts so won’t give me a cheque/BACS.
    – I remain £500 down.

Anyone had similar? It seems ridiculously complicated when in my mind the nursery should simply refund the voucher co and put me in credit?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you have proof they didn’t cancel when informed then a trip to the CAB is probably in order or trading standards.

tthew

Definitely standing order or direct debit? I think the DD guarantee means the bank have to refund any mistakes.

poly
    Free Member

I am sure our provider (not edenred) specifically states the Nursery cannot pay the money to you as it is against HMRC rules for the scheme. Unless it will take many months for the £500 to be used in future fees the nursery’s solution seems the most practical – and involves no effort or chasing on your part. Even if they repay Edenred, and Edenred refund the employer, and the employer pays it into your Salary – I’d guess you’ll be lucky to see the £ before your December payroll.

thegreatape
    Free Member

So that’s what that is on my payslip!

Pook

Definitely standing order. Everyone’s being pretty good about it but there’s no clear understanding of what they have to do to ge the money back to me.

I know they can’t just give me a cheque though!!

outofbreath
    Free Member

I’ve asked this question and IIRC the nursery refund the provider who refund your employer.

But I have a feeling nobody *has* to do anything so they might not be willing to bother.

When this happened to me the nursery trasnferred the balance direct to the new nursery. Are you ever going to need the vouchers in future? If so get them to do that.

This is all out of my sketchy memory.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve been warned to get in touch with our providers well in advance as these things are really hard to un-do. It’s not belligerence, per se, it’s strict rules put in place to avoid tax evasion.

If, you’re going to be using them again in the near future, I’d let them sit on it – if though, given the time of year your Kid is now started school, let the Nursery (as they’re the end of the chain) follow their procedure and let it unwind itself.

I feel your pain, it took me MONTHS to start ours, the only parent of small kids in a small firm, I basically hard to set up a scheme for myself, ours starts school full-time in Sept 18 (counting down the hours), we run a small credit on our account each month, summer hols should eat it up, but I’m planning to cancel it in August, pay the tax on the last payment rather than risk it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Overpaid childcare via vouchers – any experience?’ is closed to new replies.