Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Overnight roadbike ride – in Lancs.
  • MrSparkle

Inspired by the Dunwich Dynamo (http://realcycling.blogspot.com/2010/07/dunwich-dynamo-2010-full-report.html ) I fancy organising something similar but based oop North. The plan is to set off from Darwen at midnight and ride through quiet rural lanes and back roads through the Trough of Bowland and eventually wend a way to the sea near Glasson at daybreak. After dipping a symbolic toe or wheel in the briny we then head for a cafe at Conder Green which will open early for us. Distance is around 60 (very steady) miles and you would have to be entirely self supported (tools, spare tubes etc). The choice is then to either ride back or arrange a lift or have a car waiting there. Not a race, more of a cafe ride where hopefully everybody sticks together pretty much. I am thinking that next Friday 8th July might be the best date to have the inaugural attempt.

So, any takers or ideas/suggestions?

porcaro
    Free Member

You may have taken this into account but good idea to do ride during a full moon, so much lighter but be wary of werewolves!

Junkyard
    Free Member

i am very interested but I have lent my road bike to someone for the blackpool ride but apart from that I am in if i can sort out a [road ] bike
    5 ft 10 54cnwanted seeing as you asked 😉

crazy-legs

I’d be interested if it wasn’t for the midnight start – I’d rather ride through the night starting at 9pm or so.
    Just discovered that I need to be in London for work on Friday 15th July and the Dunwich Dynamo is on the Saturday – tempting. Did it last year as well.

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

yeah that start time made my eyebrows rise too?

sounds ace, what sort of numbers are you expecting? have you advertised it?

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Might be better to consider joining the Manchester-Blackpool night ride, thinking along the lines of broom wagon support & feed stops, plus got a feeling the Manchester-Blackpool has 3rd party liability insurance & transport back to Manchester the following morning?

monksie
    Free Member

St. Ann’s Hospice and Manchester Children’s Hopsital are holding a 100km night ride in September. Press release and further details to be announced in the next few days but there’ll be cycling and non cycling celebrity attendance, t-shirts, medals, food, wine, bar-b-q, brass band, frites and maionase (that posh salad cream with bits in it that I clearly can’t spell)….
    I quite fancy this ride you speak of but I don’t think I can easily get to Darwin from Stockport for midnight.

RustySpanner

I’d be up for it, but Ms Spanner will want to ride too, I can’t ride 120 miles so would be stuck for getting home. Is there a train service anywhere near?

Real shame, it’s a great idea.

Personally, would prefer to set off on Saturday night: I’ll be knackered after work on Friday and no time for a kip before setting off.

crikey
    Free Member
    Junkyard
    Free Member

lancaster has a train station about 5 miles away ish
    I would be well up for doing one of these if you plan another with a bit more notice.

RustySpanner

Cheers Junkyard – if I can cram a kip in before hand I might just give it a go.

Not ridden 60 miles for a long time, better put the Preparation H applicator in the fridge 🙂 .

Junkyard
    Free Member

dont thank me i wont be there as i have no bike for the ride.

crazy-legs

crikey – I was up for that Rapha ride (it went almost right past my house) but IMHO they did it the wrong way round, the route round White Peak in particular is much better anti-clockwise.

crikey
    Free Member

Junkyard, I’ve got a bike you can ride; I’m on nights, so wont be playing out..

Junkyard
    Free Member

very kind seeing as i am lending mine to another forumite but I do know him in the real world can you drop me an e-mail as your is not in profile
    ta

crikey
    Free Member

Will do..

izakimak
    Free Member

johnny i’ve got a road bike you can borrow if you want. If you want to pick it up you can drop my shoes and pedals off at the same time.

ton

johnnie, you can borrow my tourer if you want…………. 😉

terrahawk
    Free Member

I’m in.

Um, think it’s just been done….

so it can’t be done again? 🙄

big_n_daft
    Free Member

it’s a great idea, but I’m not in, the cafe will have closed before I get there based on my current form 😐

who cares if it’s been done before different route, different crowd, same fun

I think a alternative version of this should be done http://crossjunkie.blogspot.com/2009/03/ronde-route-description.html

the only question is whether you go up or down the cobbles on Rooley Moor road 😉

Roulercoaster
    Free Member

night rides are ace. Regularly do one with my mates round the trough. Hazard to watch out for is rabbits – you get a bit of a shock when they ping across the road in front of you when your going 40+ mph downhill! i would join you but am from the other side of the county and have a lot going on at the moment – including a 150 mile ride on 23rd July!!

richpips
    Free Member

Are there any epic hills? 1 gear or lots of them?

MrSparkle

Reluctantly having to postpone the ‘Darwen Dynamo’ due to injury. Hopefully re-scheduled for August. Will keep you posted.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Overnight roadbike ride – in Lancs.’ is closed to new replies.