Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Overly friendly marketing-is it just me?
  • crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I assume a few STWers have signed up to Pact coffee as its getting promoted in the cycling press and by BC etc and hits the demographic. So am I a grinch being put off by the twee faux matey approach that some companies take? Pact make Innocent look ruthlessly cold. I get an email from a “coffee champion” welcoming me to the fold, then a (missed) phone call and a text asking me how my first bag was, and then another email from the “coffee champion” doing the same thing.

I’m sufficiently deterred by this naff intrusive approach to cancel my ‘subscription’ and get this

Bon voyage.

Whilst it pains us to watch you walk away, we will always look back fondly on the time we shared.

We hope you speak kindly of us, as we will of you. Another time, another place, we really could have had something. Who knows!? One day we may find that we still do.

…..

Until then, it’s been emotional. A bientôt.

So does this work, is it just me being a misanthrope? And yes, I cited this on their feedback form as to why I left.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yes, it’s very annoying, I’d have cancelled too.

thejesmonddingo

Hot news :- all STWers are sociopaths 😀
    and yes it would make want to throw up,and cancel the subscription.

slowoldman

Bleh!!

I guess some of us are just not their target demographic.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I tried them when they were first promoted on here. If they had put as much effort into the coffee as the guff maybe id still be a customer? The emails are cringeworthy and the calls a bit of a nuisance but I only got a couple and wasn’t that bothered.

spooky_b329

After the first call when I got my first coffee its not too bad…but as my consumption has increased it is annoying to keep getting wine vouchers and the plastic gift cards for the ingredient box company twice per week.

I also wonder if by bulking up the coffee bag slightly, they could loose the cardboard outer and cut down on the packaging.

martinhutch

How long till their social media champion pops up on the thread being all matey?

That is pretty badly thought-through marketing for a product squarely aimed at middle-class men.

neilthewheel

Was it picked and packed just for you?

nealglover
    Free Member

Thanks for the tip off.

Was going to give them a try but will be using a fake phone number and a “spare” email account.

Who the hell wants phone calls and texts from their coffee 🙄

welshfarmer

Haha, I never even got as far as my first coffee. The whole process put me right off. Far too cringeworthy. Had a few mails since but no more.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

oh, and I forgot the last webpage after leaving them which was, and I kid you not…

spooky_b329

To be fair, they only call once.

jimjam
    Free Member

spooky_b329 – Member

That might be tolerable if it was a car. Coffee? **** off.

nealglover
    Free Member

If every company who sold you something as insignificant as a bag of coffee rang you, just once, your phone would be ringing 24 hours a day.

“Who was that on the phone love?”
    “Oh it was just Fox’s ringing to see if I was enjoying this biscuit”

somafunk

Try limini coffee instead, good value freshly roasted and quick delivery with an easy to use description of the beans, i tried the pact beans but found them poorly roasted and not for me.

donald
    Free Member

“a bunch of mindless jerks who’ll be the first up against the wall when the revolution comes.”

jota180
    Free Member

Why the hell do people give out their phone number to anyone that asks?

IdleJon

When I read the title – Overly friendly marketing-is it just me? – I thought it must be Pact. I’ve already complained to my wife about the messages on the label.

It bugs me but I like the coffees I’ve tried.

Hot news :- all STWers are sociopaths

Possibly. 😆

ianfitz
    Free Member

Has been coffee is good. Delivered to your door and don’t big the shut out of you…

TheSanityAssassin

Carlsberg would do it much better. Probably…

irvb

Glad I resisted the temptation to sign up.

Two companies who “get it” in the brave new world of marketing are Beerbods and Vulpine.

Attentive if you need them to be, invisible if you don’t. Couldn’t recommend either of them enough.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

When I read the title – Overly friendly marketing-is it just me? – I thought it must be Pact.

🙂

glad it’s not just me being a grump.

Why the hell do people give out their phone number to anyone that asks?

cos giving someone who’s taking my money (potentially every month) a means to communicate with me doesn’t seem to unreasonable? Why’s it worse than giving your email address (I call screen when my phone’s not on silent)?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Yes annoyed me too but since I only paid £1 for the first bag then I cancelled the rest of them as it’s annoying!

jota180
    Free Member

Why’s it worse than giving your email address

Given, I only check my email – probably – twice a day, it’s totally different.
    The phone is an ‘on demand’ dynamic sort of thing if it’s on, whether you screen calls or not.

Giving retailers your phone number is usually only going to be for one reason, direct marketing.
    Hence the OP

aP
    Free Member

Sounds like a company not to buy from.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Given, I only check my email – probably – twice a day, it’s totally different.
    The phone is an ‘on demand’ dynamic sort of thing if it’s on, whether you screen calls or not.

except most of us use smart phones that notify us when we get any form of communication, whether it be email, phone call, SMS, social media etc. My phone tells me when a watched eBay auction is ending EVEN WHEN ITS NOT CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET, ITS WITCHCRAFT! As the OP isnt wasnt the phone call per se, it was their overall tone and the fact it was phone call + SMS + TWO emails.

FWIW I dont routinely give out my phone number, but I do when I’ve set up some form of payment schedule/contract.

CountZero

That ‘internet high-five’ page: 😯
    Sweet baby Jesus, that alone would be enough to encourage a ziplock bag of cold sick by return of post!
    (Well, metaphorically speaking, the bag would have a piece of paper with ‘please enjoy the virtual bag of vomit caused by your nauseatingly twee marketing’). 😈

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Overly friendly marketing-is it just me?’ is closed to new replies.