Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Overheating
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

Yesterday I felt like a polar bear at Dubai Zoo way too hot. Drank loads, sweated more and ended up with a massive headache and achey legs. Any tips for staying cool on hot days as I was almost wishing for winter yesterday. (None of this was helped by my affinity to pies however that’s being dealt with)

lucien

Stop riding, sit inside more posting on STW and watching pron?

joolsburger
    Free Member

I was thinking more ice in the camelbak!

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Keep riding. You will acclimatise.

jam-bo

nuun tablets.
    fill the camelback up with ice/water mix. keeps your back nice and cool and ice cold drinks is nice too.

DrP

I’m currently suffering from 45deg heatwave in Egypt..
    My tip.. Retreat to your room, with the air con to ‘blow a fuse i’m working so ruddy hard’ and move as little as possible..

DrP

ChrisI

Electrolyte tabs help me massively with headaches on warm days. Other than that, take it easier, wear less layers or more open clothing and get used to it!

Solo
    Free Member

(None of this was helped by my affinity to pies however that’s being dealt with)

You realize then, that a sphere retains heat rather well as the distance between the heat source and the heat exchange surface, is significant.

Stick with low to moderate intensity exercise and stay adequately hydrated.

joolsburger
    Free Member

A sphere – Now that’s harsh!

Solo
    Free Member

A sphere – Now that’s harsh!
    Not intended to be. But it might help folk understand, with issues of over heating. Shape has an effect. As people lose weight and become less round/spherical their thermal issues should improve. Alternatively they will just end up going faster/harder because as we all know. It doesn’t get any easier.

letmetalktomark

I found loosing weight massively helped my ability to control/moderate my temperature whilst riding.

I’ve always run hot whilst on the bike usually preferring shorts and short sleeved jerseys.

Dropping a bit of weight 5-7kg has helped in that I now don’t get so warm and can actually layer up without melting.

May not be the case for you but worked for me.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I think dropping my winter blubber would help it’s June after all!

Solo
    Free Member

I think dropping my winter blubber would help it’s June after all!

Correct ! it’s a “win/win” You lean out, your shape changes and then you should be able to unload more heat into the airflow as you cycle.
    But, also, you’ll be lighter, which on a bike, speaks for itself. Weight, of bike or rider, has significant effect on performance.

Keep at it, stay hydrated on your rides, if no other test or measure is available to you, then your thurst and the whizz test will indicate to you whether you are hydrated. Keep at it and learn to Listen to your body.
    🙂

philjunior
    Free Member

Eat/drink when you feel like it on the ride. Your body knows what it needs. If necessary stop for more water, I’ve got through 4 full camelbaks in a day once (plus a few pints of coke) – it was a 19 hours out/15+ hours in the saddle day mind you.

Other than that it’s acclimatization, and if it’s too warm for you, you might have to take it a bit easier until you get used to it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yes nuun tablets do lower your temperature.

aracer
    Free Member

Yay for the king of links without comments.

Hmm for the article – in the context (that of women running slowly and drinking a lot) he has a point, but most of us don’t drink enough when exercising – personally I struggle to keep up with my rate of fluid loss, and the idea that I might ever suffer from hyponatremia is a bit of a joke.

As for overheating, a saturated buff on your head and one round your neck definitely helps.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Overheating’ is closed to new replies.