Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Overbiked commuter
  • duckman

Saw a guy in/on a cove shocker this morning waiting to turn in a factory on my road to work.Full riggers and vis jacket,bet he had to sit down to cure the motion sickness.

thebunk

I’ve seen a guy cycling through the town centre the last few mornings. Huge Kona with twin crown forks, no saddle or saddle post, and one of those met parachute full face helmets things with the removable guard.

I hope he’s going to some gnarly DH spot, but I like to think he’s an accountant on his way to the office.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

HAHAHAHHAAAAAAA

LETS ALL LAUGH ATT HE POOR PEOPLE WHO ONLY HAVE ONE BIKE 🙂

Don’t they know you’re only allowed to commute on a flat bared road bike and the maximum allowable groupset is 105?

ampthill

Worse than that I saw a bloke in a landrover on my commute! Huge tyres, massive long springs, under damped

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

at least they are riding and not in cars. maybe they are off for a ride after work, i often have a horrible commute on the big bike if I have evening rides planned. but anyway it is singletrack so

LET’S ALL MOCK THE FOOLS!

resisted
    Free Member

pretty sure I saw someone walking to work this morning. Shall I run them down if I see them again?

ads678

A guy comes to my office every day on a motorbike in full leathers and everything, theres not a race track for miles…………………. 🙄

Get a grip!

uplink
    Free Member

I walked this morning in Mizuno running shoes – sorry all

Bream
    Free Member

A guy comes to my office every day on a motorbike in full leathers and everything, theres not a race track for miles………………….

Get a grip!

How much skin have you lost just popping out on a motorbike without leathers?

I have the scares to show, it’s not pretty or fun, leathers stop you losing skin, easy choice really. Not often you fall off on a race track, much more likely to happen on the road with nana volvo about 🙁

chvck
    Free Member

LETS ALL LAUGH ATT HE POOR PEOPLE WHO ONLY HAVE ONE BIKE

Indeed. It’s also possible that they do have a road bike but it’s being fixed so have to commute on a different bike for a bit.

As for the helmet, if I had a parachute I wouldn’t be buying another lid for commuting. So long as it doesn’t bake your head a helmet is a helmet.

RealMan
    Free Member

How much skin have you lost just popping out on a motorbike without leathers?

I have the scares to show, it’s not pretty or fun, leathers stop you losing skin, easy choice really. Not often you fall off on a race track, much more likely to happen on the road with nana volvo about

🙄

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

When I commuted years ago I sometimes when in on my bighit. Was great fun jumping off steps and drops and gave a good workout. I didn’t give a flying **** what anyone else thought about it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I ride my burly Heckler to work sometimes if going on a weekend away after work. I’d have Hi Viz on if it was dark.

Am I in the same camp?

molgrips
    Free Member

Bream he was being sarcastic I think.

I have also ridden my Patriot to work a few times. So I could hit the hills after work 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Indeed. It’s also possible that they do have a road bike but it’s being fixed so have to commute on a different bike for a bit.

pfffft, no excuse, they should have at least 3, ruddy proles.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I once commuted on my BMX. 3 miles along the towpath, big road climb, jump on the train, few miles at the other end.

Never did it again mind…

MentalMickey
    Free Member

This ain’t the guy in Edinburgh again is it?

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/to-the-guy-in-the-full-downhill-clobber-edinburgh

Seems to be more mention on forums about him than you can shake a stick at, he’s quite a celeb you know. 😉

Bream
    Free Member

Sorry if it was, had my sarcastic monitor set on low, now turned up to cope with STW 😐

ads678

Bream he was being sarcastic I think.

I was. Maybe i should have picked the guy who parks outside my work in the porsche instead…………..

ads678

Sorry if it was, had my sarcastic monitor set on low, now turned up to cope with STW

No worries 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

Back from a hard day at the office

binners

I regularly commute on my Intense 5.5. Should I stop it in case people chortle at my frightfully inappropriate choice of transport? And I did once have someone pull up next to me at the lights (a ****ing roadie obviously), laugh and say “thats a bit OTT for a commute isn’t it?”

**** YOU!!! I’ll ride whatever I ****ing like!! Its hard hard work on tarmac for the direct route in, but its an absolute hoot for the extended, scenic, singletracky, rutted gully-blasting route back home! 🙂

jedi

i ride from my house along the road to herts for coaching. i have been asked outside the local shops why i ride such a heavy bike and told that a road bike would be easier. 🙂 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Wait a minute – wtf is on that guy’s bike? Some kind of double sized saddle with a load of linkages and gubbins? Or is is photoshopped.. doesn’t look like it tho.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

once commuted on my BMX. 3 miles

I once rode tot he BMX track, it was 17 miles!

rocketman
    Free Member

Was walking back from town the other day along the flat-as cycle/pedestrian path when I heard the familiar crunch of tyres from behind so I moved aside. Couple of lads came past one on a burly-ish trail bike the other on something downhill-tastic c/w Troy Lee lid, DH pyjamas, and a pressure suit with back protector and shin guards 🙂

I guess they could’ve been biking to the Chase or maybe hitting up the gnarcore towpath just a little further along…

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

It’s a Scott thing from a few years ago, Massive seat. Not sure what the point was. The other bit looks like some sort of steering damper?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Is that a machine gun on the Scott? Could be used for popping caps in the ass of fellow commuters riding ‘appropriate bikes’.

Binners you’re very angry aren’t you. Not obvious why it would be someone riding a roadbike though.

stumpy01

molgrips – Member
    Wait a minute – wtf is on that guy’s bike? Some kind of double sized saddle with a load of linkages and gubbins? Or is is photoshopped.. doesn’t look like it tho.

Don’t know about the saddle, but they look like steering dampers to me going to the headstock bit of the fork.

binners

Gary – I just take offense at bike-snobbery generally. I ride my full suss because It’s the only bike I’ve got. I’d love to have a stable of bikes, but I can’t afford it. Simple really.

So to have some sniffy, lycra-clad twunt haughtily laugh at my bike choice while sat astride thousands of pounds worth of carbon race-weapon – they deserve getting told to eff off!!

warton
    Free Member

steering dampers? Explain please, can i put them on my fixie CX for my commute?

scruff
    Free Member

Long saddles were used for a while on some DH bikes to weight the front end, Tioga made some.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Oh the irony of your post binners. ‘I hate bike snobbery’ but you have a dig at people riding road bikes. 🙄

binners

Its inverted snobbery. And its the fundamental bedrock of most posts on this forum, goddammit!! 😉

PJM1974
    Free Member

I regularly do my 20 mile commute on either my Wolf Ridge or my Enduro.

Can’t see a problem.

D0NK

If the alternative was a shocker I’d take the bus/train/shanks’s
    TBF the OP wasn’t all “haha what an idiot” seemed quite lighthearted to me.
    Anyone commuting on a DH bike is not afraid of hard work. A light FSer eg a 5.5 (chill binners, some roadiespeople just don’t think before they speak) could well be for the ride home but a DH bike? Either no other option or has a ski lift round the back of work (or is jedi 🙂 )

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I find road bikes completely inappropriate for commuting – have you seen the roads in Manchester? Pot-holes everywhere.

Plus, I always have to hop on to the pavement when the 42 bus tries to end my life.

D0NK

Oh yeah and the scott, big saddle you perch your arse on the fron of the saddle to weight the front in corners – but why would you be sat down in the corners on a downhill? Those rods do look like steering dampers but don’t recall reading about them

GaryLake
    Free Member

I’ve seen a guy cycling through the town centre the last few mornings. Huge Kona with twin crown forks, no saddle or saddle post, and one of those met parachute full face helmets things with the removable guard.

Bristol??

jfletch
    Free Member

Tool all the people pleading poverty surely it would be cheaper to by a £100 rigid from Decathlon for the commute than wear out all the expensive MTB drivetrain and suspension components on your MTB?

If you want to commute on the MTB then fine but why try to justify it with spurious reasoning.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Overbiked commuter’ is closed to new replies.