Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Over knee drawers on a desk?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

I’d like to make a desk, and was planning on having over-knee drawers, something like this:

However, thinking about it, I’m not sure they’re a good idea. Seems like 28inches is a good desk height (for writing and laptop use). That only gives about 5inches from the top of the desk to the top of my knees. My current desk is only an inch thick, and I occasionally bash my knee if I cross my legs. If the drawers are within 5inches deep, my legs will fit under, but crossing won’t be an option (MTFU?) Unless I increase the desk height, and then that messes with ergonomics etc.

Does anyone have a desk with drawers over the knee? What height is the bottom of the drawers and the top of the desk? How do you get on with it?

Ta,
    Duane.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I have a desk with a thin drawer and hate it.
    The one at work has a metal bar/frame and that’s bad enough for me.

ajc
    Free Member

As a furniture designer with an ergonomist wife I feel pretty well placed to say that desks with a drawer underneath are crap, and are designed by people that haven’t got a clue. The fact that picture has an iMac with a far too low screen for anyone over 5 foot 6 says all you need to know about style over functionality.

GrahamS

I have one on my computer desk which is tolerable but it is literally about an inch deep and is just for storing a couple of cables, USB sticks and memory cards.

Useful but deeper than that and it would really annoy me.

shermer75
    Free Member

Easy: Put the drawer on top of the desk. Then put the keyboard in the drawer. Now close the drawer, punch your boss in the face and hit the nearest boozer. Back of the net!

peekay

At least one of the clocks is wrong, and June has only 30 days, not 31.

DO NOT TAKE INSPIRATION FROM THIS PHOTO.

mj27
    Free Member

Clear the crap out of your office/desk and you have no need for a drawer.

or fit a small Ikea draw tidy on fully extending drawer runners to the side of where you sit and it is always fully accessible, 2 inches thick and not too deep to be like a woman’s handbag. Have done this to the desk at home that 2 adults and 5 kids use.

Duane…
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys. As I thought then, sounds like a bad idea. May have a smaller drawer off to the right side, which is where the second monitor will be (so never sit that side). Does mean the desk isn’t symmetrical though.

ajc – if you don’t mind me asking, do you have a website? Always interested designers’ work.

On a semi-related topic, I would really like to use some kind of (nicely finished) reclaimed timber for the main surface, maybe something like this;

Am I likely to find reclaimed wood which requires minimal re-working (ie no more than a table saw and power sander)? If so, what kind of thing might I be looking for? Guess I’d want something about an inch thick.

Ta,
    Duane.

Duane…
    Free Member

^ Thinking maybe old floor boards or scaffolding planks? But maybe a lot of work to make presentable.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

The fact that picture has an iMac with a far too low screen for anyone over 5 foot 6

I’m 6’4″ and have an iMac, and the top of the screen is directly in line with the height of my eyes, which I think is the recommended position ..?

I dunno, I am just saying.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

DO NOT TAKE INSPIRATION FROM THIS PHOTO.

Mmmm, yes also mushroom clouds, wat?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

which I think is the recommended position ..?

ignore the H&S recommendations – they are junk.

Rockplough
    Free Member

I was expecting a story about old-fashioned pants left lying around.

ajc
    Free Member

Dorset_Knob, at 6 foot 4 it is impossible to get an imac set to the correct height (and have your desk and chair set up properly) without an additional stand for the monitor. You will almost certainly end up with shoulder and neck issues in the future. Just saying.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

ajc
    Free Member

Almost there, but you should still be able to adjust the height between monitor and keyboard. Also with that setup it looks like you would have to over reach to use a mouse on the desk surface, unless there is some space on the little shelf next to the keyboard. Monitor is also far too close.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

😛

Duane…
    Free Member

So what’s the consensus on laptops, guess they’re terrible? Should be raised up and a separate mouse and keyboard used?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

So what’s the consensus on laptops, guess they’re terrible? Should be raised up and a separate mouse and keyboard used?

preferably, but def don’t hunch over them.

ajc
    Free Member

As turner guy says they are terrible as you tend to hunch over them as the screen is far too low. You can get little fold up stands to hold them with the screen at a better height, then use a separate keyboard and mouse.

TooTall
    Free Member

I use my laptop with a full size screen on a stand behind it. Having 2 screens to work with was a revelation when writing a thesis. Easy to have a document open to read from and one open to write in.

Duane…
    Free Member

Hmm, hadn’t thought of putting my second monitor behind and above my laptop, interesting idea.

Are you on a mac? Does it annoy you that there isn’t anything stopping the mouse moving onto the top screen when you are selecting something on the menu bar? (or vice versa if on Windows and the bottom bar)

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Are you on a mac? Does it annoy you that there isn’t anything stopping the mouse moving onto the top screen when you are selecting something on the menu bar?

You know you can change that behaviour in preferences? (Displays > Arrangement, then drag the menu bar to the other monitor. Makes life easier.)

Duane…
    Free Member

Ah yeah, true, cheers!

Current plan is something along the lines of this (get a friend to fabricate the legs), with built in wireless phone charger and cable management at the back. May put in a thin pencil drawer on the right side too.

bigdean

I’ve had a long battle with work abbout desk heights at 6’6″ the desk was too low but also not deep enough as elbow to hand length had my hanss under the monitor. Ended up with additional desk top fitted to raise it 60mm and monitor(s) is on metal off cuts.
    The worse bit is nothing getting done till i said i was getting back pain and having to do stretching exercises.
    Edit: waiting for sarcastic comment on 6’6″ desk.

CaptJon
    Free Member

is it 12.18 or 10.10?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Over knee drawers on a desk?’ is closed to new replies.