Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Oval rings on full sus, round rings on hardtail?
  • Stevet1
    Free Member

Thinking of getting a works components oval ring for my full sus bike, but worried that my hardtail with normal rings (2x setup) will feel weird. I don’t want to have to adapt every time I switch bikes, or feel that the rings on the hardtail are somehow ‘wrong’ because that will annoy me more than never trying an oval ring would.
    Part of me (the part of me that wants to buy an oval ring) is wondering if oval rings are more suited to full sus anyway to even out the pedal stroke.
    Anyone have both and notice when they switch? Should I stick to round on both?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I notice the oval more on the HT/rigid frame.

I run ovals on both FS and HT but on the FS it seems to hide away a bit more. If anything, I’d be happy to go round on the FS.

richardthird

^ agree with reggie. Also, once adjusted to the oval, you won’t notice switching between oval and round on different bikes.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have used oval rings and round rings on both Fs and hardtail. I don’t notice any difference. I also have a rigid singlespeed with a round ring that I don’t notice any difference in the shape of the ring when riding (just the stupid lack of gears)

In short, don’t worry about it. The difference is too small to upset you….or I’m very insensitive, could be either 🙂

Northwind

I love mine on the fatbike, it takes out a lot of the blob in low-gear climbing. I don’t know if it’s making any real difference in speed/efficiency/energy, but it does feel better and logically, that bouncy has got to be going somewhere els.

OTOH, on the full suss I’m basically not aware of it. Again, doesn’t mean it’s not doing something. But I’m just about to change cranks and I think I’m going to fit a smaller round ring instead of another oval, just because the only noticable differences are price and funny-looking-ness.

julzm
    Free Member

I have oval on the full suss and round on HT and road bike. I don’t notice any difference at all.

When in holiday recently the hire bike full suss had normal SRAM rings, again didn’t even notice it.

ianfitz
    Free Member

I have oval and round rings on different bikes. Do notice it but only for the first 2 minutes of each ride. Fine after that

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Oval rings on full sus, round rings on hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.