Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Oval rings
  • dropoff

Yay, Nay ? for those that have tried them have you kept them or gone back to round ?

jam-bo

Not worn mine out yet. Will probably buy another.

bruneep

Nay, might work for others but not me.

nickc

yey, seems to smooth out my lumpen cadence.

kilo

Mrs Kilo has them, seems to like them.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Love them and my knees say “yeah!” I’m using the Absolute Black ones with the guide and bash which works well.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Indifferent.

Bought one, felt odd for a while, then felt normal.

Crankset broke, ring wasn’t compatible with the new one so got a round one, felt odd for a while, then felt normal.

For me there were differences, but they’re very mild – I occasionally spin the rear on the round one when I never did on the oval one, the clutch on my derailuer got upset with the oval ring after a few months, doesn’t seem to mind the round one.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Indifferent +1

RicB

yay. I pedal at low kadence, standing up a lot and I really like them.

Poopscoop

I think I do feel a slight benefit on the climbs but the reason I am a real convert is that they have almost totally done away with the knee pain I used to get. For that alone I won’t go back to conventional setups. 🙂

Definitely worth a try in my opinion.

dropoff

Thanks for the replies, seems like it might be a way for me to reduce the knee stress a little bit. For those that do use them did you go for the same number of teeth that you replaced it with ? Ta

Kuco

Yep I like mine.

Shred
    Free Member

No from me. Tried them when I went 1X, and did not get on at all. Went back to round, much happier.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Quick summary. Some people like them. Some people don’t. Some people think there’s no difference. End of thread.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Dropoff, yes I went the same size. I definitely feel a difference on my knees.

cardo

Works for me.

RicB

yes – same size as my previous round one

dropoff

Thanks all, oval we go then 🙂

joemmo
    Free Member

Currently trialling one and so far am underwhelmed but will persist a bit longer. I went for the same number of teeth (32) on 1×11 but perhaps should have got 30t instead. I’d say worth a try if you’re curious anyway.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I stayed roughly the same size (up 2 on the ring but bigger cassette at the same time).

I find it’s really helped my climbing, just less fatigue winching up those silly climbs that are quicker to walk.

I’m using the Absolute Black ring and really rate it. The way the teeth are machined means there’s less of a shelf to accumulate dirt and grease.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve had one on my HT for well over a year. You notice a difference for all of 30 seconds when you first fit one. After that you just get a smoother effective pedalling action. Same number of teeth as existing round ring, why would it be any different?

If you go smaller than 30T then you’ll need a direct mount crankset which is what I’ve got on my fat bike.

motozulu
    Free Member

Yep – I’ll stick with it – I can feel a difference and tbh, that’s all that matters.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks all, oval we go then

If you’re looking for 104 BCD I might have a 32 and 34 Absolute black for sale (spare as I now have spiderless ones.) The 32 is unused. The 34 has been lightly used.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I did as others seem to have and when I recently went 1×11, put an oval Absolute Black 32T on straight from the get go. I’m surprised how little I notice it, but it seems to be beneficial when I’m pedalling ‘properly’ (in circles, as opposed to my usual squares). It definitely provides a bit more oomph on the short, steep climbs and as I prefer to spin rather than stomp a big gear, I quite like it. I’d not considered the knee pain thing, but thinking about it, mine aren’t grumbling much of late, which has to be a good thing.

dropoff

Thanks Mrblobby but I need cinch

Northwind

It definitely does something- it’s not that noticable on the normal bike imo but on my fatbike, seated pedalling with the oval gives an obvious reduction in bounce. And bounce is basically wasted pedalling. If the same thing’s happening on other bikes, and I can’t see how it wouldn’t, then it’s helping.

sq225917
    Free Member

I’m oval on my Meta SX and my bish bash Bosh. Easier on knees, more even more through the stroke, slightly better for gasping up serious climbs. Tey do feel odd out of the gate but that goes in a few hours of use.

I love em.

joemmo
    Free Member

Just been out for a short local loop with some short sharp climbs and some faster flowier bits so decided to pay attention to the oval ring.

I feel like there is a slight advantage on steep, low cadence climbs but on the faster pedalling sections it feels a bit like I can’t quite find the right gear for my cadence – maybe this just needs some adaptation.

Did anyone else notice this effect?

markrh
    Free Member

Use them on my hardtail and feel able to carry a bigger gear in any given situation. Not put them on full sus’ as I did wonder if it might mess with the the suspension action.

P-Jay
    Free Member

^^

Yeah, it passes, your body will learn to adapt in a ride or two.

chakaping
    Free Member

I like the idea of less knee pain.

Anyone using with flat pedals?

So the thing about going 2t bigger with oval is wrong then?

qwerty
    Free Member

If you had a 32t round and brought a 32t oval, it will be 2t bigger and 2t smaller in its radius’s.

joemmo
    Free Member

Yes I’m using them with flats but also have a 110bcd on order to try with my CX bike and SPDs.

As far as the number of teeth is concerned I’d just go for the same number or even size down, you’re not really getting any extra magical top end without losing the bottom end and as the benefit seems to be mainly improved climbing then prioritise what you need for that over top speed.

luket

I went one tooth up for oval on a singlespeed and reckoned I was still able to get up all the same climbs. So I concluded it was having some positive effect and you could lose a little bottom end if you wanted.

Speeder

Felt a little odd for about 30 seconds after that it felt completely normal. I’ve not ridden a round ringed bike off road since (not through choice really I just haven’t). I can happily say I don’t think there’s any downsides and even if the benefits are psychological, that’s still a benefit – right?

chakaping
    Free Member

Does the chain fall off more riding down rugged trails?

whitestone
    Free Member

@chapaking – I switch between SPDs and flats, oval is fine with both. Chain falling off? If you get a NW oval ring then it’s just as likely (i.e. not very) as with a round ring.

A 32T oval provides exactly the same ratios as a 32T round. What is different is that there’s a differing level of effort at various points in each revolution of the cranks.

Since the ring is oval there are two radii so if you get a larger oval ring then you need to make sure that your frame can accommodate the larger radius. So if you get a 34T then really your frame needs to be able to handle a 36T round chainring as that’s what the larger radius will equate to.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I ride a q rotor the other day on a Scott Spark & TBH I couldn’t tell the difference..

joemmo
    Free Member

Not so far for me but early days. The chain tension is pretty constant so I wouldn’t see it being any more likely than with a round ring.

mmannerr

Somehow ovals seemed to annoy my already dodgy knees. I think it isn’t just about chainring shape but varying chain tension on my older DW link bike has something to do with it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Oval rings’ is closed to new replies.