• This topic has 28 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Oval convert
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Tried it, liked it, keeping it.

Feels more constant

That’s all.

qwerty
    Free Member

Did you go up 2 teeth over your previous 1x gearing?

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m in the same boat – they look a bit odd, but feel pretty good.

I stayed on a 32 tooth ring.

llatsni
    Free Member

Really want to try oval, but my Snaggletooth just won’t wear out! I’ll have to find another excuse.

richardthird

Awesome on SS. Feels more round, stay seated longer, smoother silly high rpm flat riding & climbing it’s like traction control. Stayed 32.

poey50
    Free Member

Feels more round

That sums it up perfectly.

happybiker
    Free Member

Mine felt odd for about a minute. Now it feels more round than round! Stuck to the same size on my singlespeed.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Did you go up 2 teeth over your previous 1x gearing?

Had a 30t round cog, went to 34-30.

Andy-R

Does anyone make them with Middleburn RS7 fit? I’m curious to try one but I don’t really want to have to get a spider to use a 104BCD version.

qwerty
    Free Member

Found this:

What size should I choose?
    * 26T (64BCD) Oval chainring has the ovality of 24/28T and is best for someone who uses currently 26T round ring.

* 28T (64BCD) Oval chainring has the ovality of 26/30T and is best for someone who uses currently 27 or 28T round ring.

* 32T oval ring will suit best someone who uses 30 or 32T chainring currently. While pedaling, you will feel quite similar effort to the one riding round 31T ring (as the smallest diameter of the oval is 30T), but you will gain the speed similar to riding 33/34T chainring.

* 34T Oval chainring has the ovality of 32/36T and is best for someone who uses currently 33 or 34T round ring.

* 36T Oval chainring has the ovality of 34/38T and is best for someone who uses currently 36 or 38T round ring.

jca

Much better atmosphere than Lords…

mindmap3
    Free Member

Much better atmosphere than Lords…

Boom, tish.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Running the Works Components 32t ovals on both my FS and hardtail, aswell as the obvious clean looking setup the range they offer accompanied with a 11-40 cassette makes for great pedalling efficiency on both the climbs and descents, have yet to spin out.
    Excellent bit of kit from a UK manufacturer.

Clobber
    Free Member

Does anyone make them with Middleburn RS7 fit? I’m curious to try one but I don’t really want to have to get a spider to use a 104BCD version.

Me too please!

cokie

I’ve also got the Works C. 32t oval rings on my bikes. I really like them. It makes the climbs easier as it feels ‘more round’ and I can put down the power more consistently. There’s a couple hills that I can attack sitting down now, whereas before I’d be standing and cranking. Works rings last, are cheap and made in the UK. Big fan.

DanW
    Free Member

Oval rings didn’t do anything special for me but didn’t cause any harm either. Don’t have any special feeling switching between either round or oval but I guess it depends on pedaling style a bit too

Klunk
    Free Member

does anyone do a steel one ?

sam_underhill

Out of interest, assuming you go for same number of teeth, should I fit a new chain?

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m using my old chain with mine with no issues so far.

I’m waiting for the spring before I replace my chain and cassette which are a bit worn.

nickc

Tried it, liked it, keeping it.

sums it up for me. Much easier to control low speed stuff.

trickydisco
    Free Member

this: http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/goldtec-onekey-ring-1835

tazzymtb

usual rule of thumb, particularly with SS has been to go up 2T when swapping to a oval like ROTOR Q, goldtec etc…(hence the ROTOR SS Q ring only being in a 34 as all true SSers only ran 32:16 to start with) 😉

absolute black and the other johny come lately makers to the oval scene for gearie bikes tend to say stay the same as previous or even drop ( this is more to do with running them as 1×10 or 11 set up though rather than maximizing the grunt you can get for the same perceived effort that SS riders want)

not sure if goldtec are still trading at the moment as they have recently shut the shop and made some lads redundant, but the middleburn direct mount rings were lovely

tazzymtb

have been running elliptical rings on all my bikes for over 5 years now, its nice to see it finally catching on and trickling down to the sort of riders that used to take the piss about bio-pace 😀

and 29ers are standard these days

and every bugger owns a fatbike

jeesus its like the bike industry has finally caught up with the beardy weirdies

belugabob
    Free Member

Going to be testing mine out on the gentle rolling hills of Afan, this weekend.
    Wish me luck.

lerk
    Free Member

Does anyone make shiftable 104/64bcd sets? I quite like the one I’m running on my Alfine bike, but I’m not man enough to lose the granny on the bouncy bike…

everyone
    Free Member

Yep Rotor do.

They won’t be cheap though.

takisawa2

Bought mine from that Taz bloke ^^up there.
    Been on there for a few years now.
    I’d not use anything else on the SS.

stayhigh

Apologies for the slight hijack but do you measure chain length any differently when fitting an oval ring or is it big to big with mech @ 45′?

DanW
    Free Member

Big big (not through the mech) plus two links like normal. Not sure what you mean by mech @45 as chain length is usually worked out without the chain routing through the mech. Where you do it on an oval ring doesn’t matter as the mechs are very tolerant to the slight variation from the ring.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Oval convert’ is closed to new replies.