Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • oval chainring on single pivot xc bike
  • breninbeener

Im about to go 1×10 on my Orange Gyro.

i have a 30t NW, but im excited about Absolute Black oval chainrings.

will it work ok with my single pivot bike?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Take a look at the video on their website. As the cranks rotate it has next to no effect on the derailleur and therefore I suggest will have next to no effect on the suspension. Even if its the difference in relation to the pivot point you are worried about I think the change is so small as to be insignificant.

cakefacesmallblock

It might not have lasted in terms of vogue and maybe they were a ‘ first attempt’ but had Biopace chain rings on my very first mid eighties MTB. Frankly they made no difference whatsoever, anyway and that was a rigid bike.
    Not that I could feel anyway.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Biopace were 90 degrees out of sync with the new chainrings… so effectively making the gear harder through the “dead zone”. I’m not surprised this didn’t work.

Whether the new ones make any difference or whether a dead zone even exists I can’t say…..and I have been using one for 2 months!

I am however impressively and consistently useless at distinguishing subtle and small changes in….well anything. All I can say for sure is it hasn’t made things worse 🙂

cakefacesmallblock

Hmmmmm been reading that, but interestingly, by comparison, with my mates almost identical no Biopace bike, at the time, any difference was not immediately , or after extended, swap bike periods ,noticeable.
    Sorry to hijack, by the way, was just an old git’s observation !

breninbeener

All observations are very welcome.

I must say, having thought about how it works, they should be of benefit.

When im riding on the tarmac to my offroad destination, i can hear a distinct roar…roar noise which is exactly in time with the pedal stroke going from the 2 o’clock to the 5 o’clock on the drive side and 10 o’clock to 7 o’clock position on the non drive side.

These seems to be where I am working best on the pedal stroke.

grey

Used one for a ride on my Five Alpine, too big a gear for me to push at the moment, but it did feel smooth especially when standing to pedal and I never noticed any increase in pedal bob (90kg lightweight here), it definitely worked on the single pivot for me.

breninbeener

@grey…..many thanks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘oval chainring on single pivot xc bike’ is closed to new replies.