Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Outer Hebrides – worth getting a fatty for?
  • scruff9252

My girlfriend & I are off to the Outer Hebrides for our summer holiday next month – a surfing, kayaking and cycling adventure using the car to get about an transport our toys.

We are/were planning on taking our touring bikes for day rides but thinking more about it, I am really, really tempted to buy a pair of Calibre Dune’s for use out there.

Can’t help but think if there was one place where 4″ tyres would be better than 32cc tyres; it’s the Hebrides with the miles of white sand and machair.

So, anyone been to the outer Hebrides and wanting to talk me out of / into buying a pair of fatties?

tuboflard

Never ridden mine there but remember seeing a few on Tiree last time I was there. Always lots of fatty tracks on the beaches too. And it’s not as if you won’t get to use them elsewhere once you’re back; just do it as it sounds like you’ve got an urge to spend some on them anyway!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Last time I was on Uist, 26×2.4 did the job fine (with panniers and a child seat). As did 20×1.9

that said, now I’ve got a 29+, I can’t wait to go back.

Pyro

The South Uist beaches were grand on 35c cross tyres in 99% of places, just the odd loose patch. If you hit them as the tide’s going out they’re firm as anything.

summittoppler
    Free Member

I spent a week there at the end of May last year. To say it was awesome would be an understatement.

I’ll just leave this film I made here and see what you think…..

Davesport

I’ve been there in the motorhome a couple of times. If you’ve got the coin I’d buy the fatbikes and get some use out of them you won’t regret it. Take wetsuits, snorkelling gear and a couple of kites. Truly amazing place. Summit’s video is inspirational and thank you so much for posting.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/ecYSmA]Panorama 2[/url] by Davesport62, on Flickr

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Could have used a plus/fat bike out on Benbecula…. was there for a few months with work, didn’t really get down onto the beach but the riding on Harris & Lewis was great!

My tip is Turbo Midge cream! we were eaten to death!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/KM1nfY]13925415_10153808915758225_415357623567142915_n[/url] by Stephen Williams, on Flickr

summittoppler
    Free Member

Davesport: Summit’s video is inspirational and thank you so much for posting.

Thanks bud, glad you enjoyed it 🙂

scruff9252

summittoppler, that vids ace! Cheers!

mcnultycop

Get a fatbike in any case. You might just like it.

dovebiker

Was on Harris and Lewis a few weeks ago – the fatbike will give you the opportunity to ride virtually anywhere, whilst a tourer will be far more limiting. It was very dry whilst we were there – peat bogs were bone dry, but recent rain will no doubt have replenished them. I really regretted not having a bike to explore, but would love to go back, particulary Harris and the Uists

summittoppler
    Free Member

Thanks scruff9252 as you could probably tell from the video it was a stunning trip!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Outer Hebrides – worth getting a fatty for?’ is closed to new replies.