Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Outer Hebrides – nowish?
  • ducktape
    Free Member

I think I need to ‘get away from it all’ for a while/long while. Hate my job and got no ambitions for the future, so I figure need a complete change of scene to sort myself out.

Would anyone recommend the Outer Hebrides during April? I guess the weather is fairly unpredictable, but as long as it doesn’t piss down 24/7 I think it could be quite refreshing. Otherwise any other suggestions for quiet, beautiful places to go for a few weeks? Also I’ll be on my own, and the Hebrides is really friendly compared to anywhere else I’ve been. Norway looks amazing but is a bit pricey, and probably far too cold!

Inspire me!

ducktape
    Free Member

Sorry should have said, will be touring on my roadrat, and camping.

druidh
    Free Member

I was in the OH last May. It hadn’t rained for over 6 weeks. April isn’t actually a bad time to be there. The days are getting longer, there’s no midge and the tourists haven’t arrived yet.

For inspiration

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

May is the best time IMO
    april could be fine but its scotland so could be anything really. Go from south to North as thats the prevailing wind direction 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

Go from south to North as thats the prevailing wind direction

Hmmm. That’s what I figured too, but everyone I talked to who’d ever cycled it said the opposite 🙂 I reckon you either get fair weather and a Northerly, or a wet South Westerly. I know which I prefer!

MicArms

It’s **** windy!! Lived there for 20 months about 12 years ( effective RAF ‘penal’ posting up @ Stornoway, Isle of Lewis). Countryside is bleak, peat bogs etc.
    Fine for cleaning the mind, but prob would reccomend Harris more.
    Hope this helps..

ducktape
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve been before, in August. Didn’t care much for Lewis, very bleak. Much preferred the southern Isles, Barra and the Uists. Going North to South would be good, saving the best till last.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Orkney is much nicer then Harris/Lewis

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Orkney is much nicer then Harris/Lewis<

It’s also about as far away from the Outer Hebrides as it’s possible to get.

You could see a fair bit in a few weeks – get a hopscotch ticket or whatever they call it these days and take in Mull, Iona and Tiree.

druidh
    Free Member

Heather Bash – Member

>Orkney is much nicer then Harris/Lewis<

It’s also about as far away from the Outer Hebrides as it’s possible to get.

To be fair, the OP did say..

Otherwise any other suggestions for quiet, beautiful places to go for a few weeks?

With a few weeks to spare, I’d be considering a mega bothy trip around the NW Highlands.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Statistically, May is the driest month in OH. Probably still cold, wet and windy just now though. How about going to Malaga instead and cycle East – warm, cheap (free and acceptable rough camping), rurual, scenic (inland from coast) and end in the Sierra Nevada.

Smee
    Free Member

We went at easter a couple of years ago. Weather was fine, if a bit windy.

If I had a few weeks I would get one of those island hopscotch tickets and start in ardrossan and ride the inner hebrides,then back to oban, then the outer hebrides to the butt of lewis, then to ullapool, up over roon and doon to mallaig then via ardnamurchan and mull back to oban.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>To be fair, the OP did say..

Otherwise any other suggestions for quiet, beautiful places to go for a few weeks?>

ok – it’s a fair cop.

Orkney for a few weeks tho?

druidh
    Free Member

* sniggers *

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Outer Hebrides – nowish?’ is closed to new replies.