Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Outdoorsy gear
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Just planning ahead.

I’m off to the Isle of Skye in late March next year and will need some new gear, namely a jacket, waterproof trousers, hiking boots etc. (I have lots of baselayers and mid layers).

I don’t want to spend a fortune so I was wondering what the best value outdoor kit is.

I generally prefer layering to big jackets etc. If that helps.

For reference, I will be doing geological mapping, so lots of walking, but also some standing around.

Cheers folks.

globalti
    Free Member

Ski jacket and salopettes?

Luckily no midges in March.

ads678

Check out TKMaxx, or go to an outlet village type place and see what outdoor shops they have there.
    The one at Junction 32 of the M62, castleford/Glasshouton has Berghaus, craghoppers, regatta, tresspass and a couple of others. And and Ellis brigham over the road in Xscape.
    Or check out what deals they have on sportspursuit or last seasons gear on the web, ellis brigham or cotswold outdoor are big shops.

DezB
    Free Member

SportPursuit – try the Scaninavian brands on there: 2117, Beilo etc. Fab quality, silly cheap prices. Or, last time I looked they had some nice Sweet Protection down jackets. Plenty of time for delivery if you’re going in March 🙂

matt_outandabout

What budget?

Here is a good start: Mountain Equipment Valkyrie from Rough Gear (£80 with discount)
    Jacket: Berghaus Deluge from Gaynors (£30)
    Boots that fit from local shop.
    Extra cheap fleece from TKMaxx

dragon
    Free Member

Waterproof trousers Berghaus Deluge, I’d go for a decent Primaloft jacket and then get a cheap waterproof for over the top for when necessary.

Do you really need boots? 90% of my outdoor walks I now do in Salomon Gore-tex shoes like the XA Pro or X Ultra (just make sure you get the GTX versions, easy to confuse with the cheaper non-waterproof ones).

lunge

Decathlon I would have thought would be a strong starting point.

mikey74
    Free Member

Do you really need boots? 90% of my outdoor walks I now do in Salomon Gore-tex shoes like the XA Pro or X Ultra (just make sure you get the GTX versions, easy to confuse with the cheaper non-waterproof ones).

Yes: Much of the walking is over uneven, fractured rock and your ankles need the support and protection.

scotroutes

Yep. Head to Decathlon.

Avoid ski jackets as your insulation and waterproofing are then “all or nothing”. Late March has actually seen some pretty warm days so don’t assume it’ll be freezing all the time.

And have a couple of warm hats.

mikey74
    Free Member

Avoid ski jackets as your insulation and waterproofing are then “all or nothing”. Late March has actually seen some pretty warm days so don’t assume it’ll be freezing all the time.

Yep. Hence why I prefer layers to big, bulky jackets.

Late March has actually seen some pretty warm days so don’t assume it’ll be freezing all the time.

I find this makes it more difficult to get the clothing right, again, hence the layering.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

On Skye the main problem is generally getting wet rather than getting cold. I’m there once a year or so, normally in late dec/early Jan, and typically just wear merino base and long johns under a waterproof jacket and trousers if I’m walking. Maybe add a lightweight fleece on cold days. For stopping I have a paramo synthetic down gilet that I can just chuck on over the top, without having to take anything off.

Decathlon is a good suggestion. This ought to keep you about as warm as you’d ever need if combined with a couple of layers: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/alpinism-grey-warm-jacket-id_8327120.html

loddrik
    Free Member

Spend a bit more and get yourself some Paramo gear and it’ll last you for decades.

CraigW
    Free Member

For standing around in the rain on Skye, I’d look at Helly Hansen workwear. It should be a lot more waterproof than most outdoor jackets etc. And quite reasonably priced.

For boots, I’d get some decent wellies, ie with good grip and insulation. eg Grub Boots or Muck Boots.

nuke

Spend a bit more and get yourself some Paramo gear and it’ll last you for decades

^ this. Although I did get some heavily discounted ‘as new’ Paramo kit via their Paramo seconds shop on ebay

matt_outandabout

For boots, I’d get some decent wellies, ie with good grip and insulation. eg Grub Boots or Muck Boots.

Good call. Wellies are the underrated champ of being outdoors in bad weather.

CountZero

matt_outandabout – Member

Good call. Wellies are the underrated champ of being outdoors in bad weather.
    Too bloody right! Buying a pair of Muckboots after reading a recommendation on here, (it may even have been you, Matt), has made a world of difference to being able to get out walking when the weather’s crap, like it is at the mo’; just going for a walk in woods near Marlborough was made possible because I had my Muckboots in the boot, water was over ankle deep in many places. And they’re so comfy too, I’ve done eight or nine mile walks in mine.

sweaman2
    Free Member

If your doing geological mapping I’d suggest some fairly robust waterproof trousers. Lightweight trousers might be okay for walking but if you’re going to be kneeling down to take dip/strike measurements and the like (which you probably are in Skye) then they might not last long. You’re also probably going to be sitting down a fair bit for sketches or note taking which also points to something more durable. I also think breathability is a bit less important as you’re not exercising hard.

Wellies also could be good if steam crossings and bogs are on the agenda.

dogmatix

http://www.regattaoutlet.co.uk

loads of cheap stuff… I wear their jackets and fleeces and they last well and seem well made. Some jackets for 15 and some fleeces for under 10.

not sure I’d recommend their boots though. You can get loads of good quality barely worn walking boots of ebay. I got a pair of blacks boots for about 15 on ebay. As you can tell I like saving my pennies.

mikey74
    Free Member

Got it in one (well, two actually) sweaman.

voodoo_chile

What mattandabout said , stay away from paramo kit badly made bad fit ,

molgrips
    Free Member

Spend a bit more and get yourself some Paramo gear and it’ll last you for decades.

And in all that time you’ll look like you’re wearing an army surplus shell-suit. I mean I’m not vain, generally, but I can’t bring myself to buy one of those things. There has to be a way of making the damn things look better surely?

Basil

Over to Ebay.
    Buy best quality gear for regatta money.
    Boots you have to try before you buy.

voodoo_chile

Sprayway is good value with decent hydrostatic head on most of their shells .. Any old fleece /midlayer would do the job spend your money on jacket and boots primarily
    Fit is the most important thing on your boots I would rather spend £50 a year on my boots than 150 on boots that aren’t right ( heel lift,tight toe box,width issues) . also buy quality socks with your new boots

mattyfez

Sports direct and tkmax

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks for the input folks. Lots to go on there.

Scapegoat

Which paramo are you on about @molgrips? Paramo do dozens of different garments.

ninfan
    Free Member

theres a load of US army black polartec fleece salopettes out there at the moment on Ebay, about fifteen quid a set – amazing quality.

regatta outlet as above for fleece tops as above

army surplus trousers, softie jackets to keep warm when standing about

for really, really wet weather, I can’t recommend a pair of fishermans style bib and brace (or german army gore-tea ones) to go with your muck boots enough.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Outdoorsy gear’ is closed to new replies.