Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Ouija board dabbling: have you? Would you? If not, why not?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I haven’t and would never try it. Even if I was extensively pissed, I would refuse to be involved. Even if nothing happened, I would be concerned that something had “come through.” I’ve obviously watched too many crappy horror films but I’m just very reluctant to have a go.

Any experiences from the STW extremers?

bearnecessities

Better than the watch attempt, but 3/10 at best 🙂

stewartc
    Free Member

Ouija is a trademark of Hasbro, that should give you the first inkling of its mystic saucerey, and no, spin the bottle was more the drunken teenage game in my day.

Drac

When I was about 15 I thInk.

Load of shit then and is now.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I remember back at Uni one of the girls I shared accom with brought one into the communal kitchen, brand new and she was itching to get us drunk and “have a go”.
    Pretty girl, intelligent too, smart like direct wit and sarcasm.
    I found it odd sitting around a low round table, beer and vodka shots being sloshed back, her sitting across slightly akimbo wearing a low cut blouse.

I can’t remember anything happening to the game we played, she was lovely but I left thinking she was a little unstable.

pondo
    Free Member

Derren Brown would be able to explain how it all works, and it’s not going to be spirits.

butcher

Used to love that stuff when I was about 14, 15. We’d do Ouija and all other kinds, and at that age it’s all possible.

I would love to believe in it all still now, all that magic and mystery makes the world an interesting place, but the internet took it all away.

bodgy
    Free Member

The reason that a OUIJA board pointer moves is down to the ideomotor effect, whereby unconscious thoughts of any given participant cause them to move the pointer around the board. This has been proven in various experiments whereby a stack of slightly concave ‘counters’ were placed on top of the pointer, so that the stack would tilt with any lateral force applied; the stack was always led from the top by fingers rather than pulled from the bottom by some supernatural entity.

No mystery, no spirits, no contact with the dead. Don’t bother.

Cougar

What Bodgy said.

I’d try it in a heartbeat, purely out of curiosity. I expect it wouldn’t work.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I observed one in the school library. It advised that “HUGH IS GAY”, to the great amusement of everyone. Except Hugh.

(You’ll have to forgive the unenlightened immaturity of early 90s teenage boys).

maccruiskeen

I’ve obviously watched too many crappy horror films

Ouija is a trademark of Hasbro, that should give you the first inkling of its mystic saucerey,

The Ouija board is indeed a toy – designed and made by a toy manufacturer. But then so is the clown from Poltergeist

kayak23

[video]http://youtu.be/T8V82TXOzm0[/video]

MSP

I tried it once 6 years later I was in a car accident, can’t be coincidence.

bodgy
    Free Member

@kayak23 😀

BigDummy
    Free Member

Ouija boards don’t work. If you need to contact the Other Side, you’re going to need a pentagram, loads of black candles, a goat, a virgin and a sharp knife. Anyone who tells you different is a charlatan.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Ouija boards don’t work. If you need to contact the Other Side, you’re going to need a pentagram, loads of black candles, a goat, a virgin and a sharp knife. Anyone who tells you different is a charlatan.

or three small sticks (of equal length) and 4cc of mouse blood.

martinhutch

I would be concerned that something had “come through.”

Depends how creepy the atmosphere was.

teasel
    Free Member

three small sticks (of equal length) and 4cc of mouse blood.

Is that some sort of hairdressing technique with some weirdly-named new “product” from Garnier or somesuch.

By christ, I’m so glad not to have hair on top…

perchypanther
    Free Member

If you’re really pushed you can manage with just 2 small sticks and a really fresh egg.

Be warned, however, that Death is not really bound by the circle.
    He just stays in there out of politeness and for the look of the thing. 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Less likely to work as financial planning based on the outcome of a monopoly game.

Flaperon

Yeah, I’d have a go. I think it would be quite a laugh as you see the subconscious groupthink come into play.

Also tried it at primary school aged 10, teacher came into the room and nearly had a heart attack. Still don’t understand what the fuss was about.

atlaz
    Free Member

There was one in our school in one of the woodwork store rooms. Only the mentally feeble seemed to take the whole thing seriously.

stewartc
    Free Member

I tried that but you try buying four candles in a hardware shop these days, gave up before I even got to the virgin.

mikertroid
    Free Member

I prefer surfboards. I could never can stand up on a Ouija.

jimjam
    Free Member

We used to mess around with that stuff as teenagers. Strange to think now that the device I am typing this on today is infinitely more capable of contacting scary people.

rossburton
    Free Member

99 Percent Invisible did an awesome episode about the ouija board, http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/o-u-i-j-a/ has the written and podcast form. Great podcast all round really.

bodgy
    Free Member

Interesting link rossburton. thank you.

globalti
    Free Member

I once saw somebody have a funny turn while using a ouija board; have disliked them since then, not because I believe they work but because they can have a bad effect on gullible or hysterical people.

scandal42
    Free Member

I once saw somebody have a funny turn while using a ouija board; have disliked them since then

Bit harsh

derek_starship
    Free Member

Me and a few mates had a go with an improvised configuration when I was about 10. We wrote the letters on scraps paper but the “planchette” was a Slazenger tennis ball. It didn’t work. And the tenniser had a bit of mullet fom wear and tear!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

No I haven’t because it all tosh and would be a waste of time and energy.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I won’t hear a bad word said against them . I once skived off school for nearly 2 weeks before being caught . When I had to go and see the headmaster I told him that I was playing Ouija and it said I was going to die at school in the next 3 weeks . Amazingly he let me off with a lecture about the dangers of meddling with the occult . On another occasion he caned me for blasphemy for telling the biology teacher that a dead rat that was nailed to a piece of wood for dissection looked like Jesus so it sort of evened itself up .

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Amazon sell them link

Might be a laugh to unleash hell, free returns too

pocketrocket
    Free Member

I would have been 16 my next door neighbour about 14 and Eammon Andrews had just died.

Anyhow, I overheard him and a few mates messing about with a ouiji board in the conservatory whilst I was out in the back garden.

Then they decided to try and contact Eamonn and asked the immortal words, “is there anybody there?”

It was at this point I threw a small stone up onto the plastic roof, which was closely followed by “Did you hear that? did you hear that?” nervously coming from them all.

When they asked again, Is there anybody there? This time I threw a small handful of stones up.
    To say mild panic broke out is an understatement, with shouts “Smash the glass! smash the glass!!” and them all panicking and running out from the conservatory into the garden.

How they never heard me tittering away on the other side of the fence I’ll never know. 😆

shermer75
    Free Member

Actually pronounced ‘ooo-jah’

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Have dabbled with them a few times. I won’t share my experiences as it appears they get pooh-poohed by most on here. Plenty of real stories online though, you don’t have to look far.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/ouija-boards-really-work-mirror-4730779

To those who played with a Ouija Board…do tell. from Paranormal

MrSmith
    Free Member

😆 I bet you typed that with a deadly serious face too. 😆

Double LOL for quoting the Mirror and Reddit 😆 😆

shermer75
    Free Member

Chas n’ Dave wrote a song about it:

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fOiuDAPHxCE[/video]

CountZero

Oh yeah, the first place I’d turn to for real stories about Ouija board experiences would be the Daily Mirror web site!

vdubber67
    Free Member

I had a very freaky experience during final year of uni with a ouija board. A number of people around the board. Someone’s friend had recently died. To cut a long story short the board very, very rapidly and forcefully spelled out D-E-A-D repeatedly. It scared the crap out of us, and we never did it again.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Ouija board dabbling: have you? Would you? If not, why not?’ is closed to new replies.