Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • ouchy arms and hurty shoulders……
  • bagpuss72
    Free Member

Just started riding and my back arms and neck are killing think I’m clutching on from sheer fright after my first ‘twilight’ ride and guess I’ll relax a bit given time. Got fairly good lower body (leg) strength from hiking but is it worth doing something to build upper body strength (female so a bit flimsy on the arm strength) or will that just come in time?

Guess its just using new muscles?

Cougar

Could be saddle position / bar height I guess. Too long a cockpit?

(Disclaimer: I’m a noob.)

bagpuss72
    Free Member

I was wondering if I’m leaning down too much but last bike I had was a chopper so………..

bagpuss72
    Free Member

cockpit? Its def a bike not a lear jet :mrgreen:

Keva
    Free Member

swimming is good for building upper body strength, and also my favourite, Hindu Press-ups

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcW61Bb8uOo

Kev

bagpuss72
    Free Member

That looks like I’ll knock my teeth out but I’ll give it a go!

I’ve got yoga on the Wii I’ll see whats on that

rOcKeTdOg

Furious self love has the same symptoms

bagpuss72
    Free Member

My wrists are quite strong already thanks 😉

retro83
    Free Member

Cougar – Member

Could be saddle position / bar height I guess. Too long a cockpit?

(Disclaimer: I’m a noob.)

it sounds like this, stem too long or bars too wide maybe. I would suggest posting a pic of you sitting on the bike, but I suspect some people would get banned if you did.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

It will start to go away with more time on the bike developing more confidence.

For a bit of upper body strength I do press ups, sit ups and arm curls before each ride. Upper body strength will help you protect yourself when you fall off. And yes you will fall off, or you’re not trying hard enough 🙂

bagpuss72
    Free Member

*takes up knitting put bike on ebay*

binners

Your saddle position / bar height are bob on! I was thinking the other day you could maybe do with a shorter stem. That one you’ve got on is quite long. Maybe 100mm

But you are definitely clinging on too tight too. Par for the course though. Everyone does that when they start out though.

Harry_the_Spider

You could have a bit of a chicken choker death grip thing going on.

If so, this man (or one like him) could sort you out.

http://www.great-rock.co.uk/blog/

bagpuss72
    Free Member

binners – Member

Your saddle position / bar height are bob on! I was thinking the other day you could maybe do with a shorter stem. That one you’ve got on is quite long. Maybe 100mm

But you are definitely clinging on too tight too. Par for the course though. Everyone does that when they start out though.

You wizzing in front of me every 10 seconds when you spot new singletrack and plunging me into darkness and at the mercy of potholes didn’t help to be fair….

Besides the veiws better if I’m in front 😉

snowslave

Most people notice upper body strength issue when they start mtb riding.

Endorsing Harry’s endorsement of great rock skillz courses. If you’re doing something wrong, Ed’ll put you right.

tonyd

Back and arms aching could be just you getting used to things, but an aching neck would suggest to me bad position. Are you straining to look up all the time? If so maybe consider:

– Shorter stem
    – Spacers to bring bars up higher
    – Rotate bars so the sweep brings them up a little
    – Move saddle forwards/down a touch

Are you riding with a heavy pack? Or one that restricts your head movement? If it’s a tall pack (daypack meant for hiking maybe), combined with the extra bulk of a helmet it could be pushing your head forwards too much. If it’s heavy, combined with a bad position, you could be putting extra weight through your shoulders and arms.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Oh actually thats a great idea for one weekend!! Is it expensive? Whats the best one nearest to Lancashire?

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Are you riding with a heavy pack?

No I make him carry everything :mrgreen:

I think to be honest its nerves and gripping on for dear life!!

Harry_the_Spider

Death grip. Speak to Ed.

He is in Calederdale and does stuff at Lee Quarry (Bacup) and Gisburn (Gisburn).

Either way you could be there in 45 mins or less from Rammy.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Ooooooooooooh right I get paid on Friday think I’ll book a day off and go and give it a go I’ll be wizzing ahead of you all soon!! *sic*

snowslave

You’ll need to speak to Ed about prices, but there’s a kind of day rate thing going on, so if you want him all to yourself it’ll cost a lot more than booking with a few of you and sharing the cost. We took 6 on a go with him, very reasonable price. Money spent with him is better than money spent on the bike bits I reckon.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Out again last night and sore when I got back but not bad this morning AND not got a sore bum which is good, he tried to get me on some singletrack through some trees, down ditches, and in the dark…. I’m not there yet so the lanes, roads and park felt less ‘death grippy’ after that and I fell off twice so ‘Captain’ I’m doing as I’m told :mrgreen:

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘ouchy arms and hurty shoulders……’ is closed to new replies.