Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • OT – which 'beefy' 4X4 tyres that don't break the bank and are good on the road?
  • tymbian
    Free Member

Going on a LWB Pick-up on 15″ alloys, I say this as some tyres start at 16″..

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I liked the Yokoyama geolandar all terrains I had on my last shogun. Much better on and of road than the Bridgestone duellers.

Not sure on the price though, I think they were pretty reasonable.

notlocal
    Free Member

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac.. I had 235/75/15 or 30/9.5/15 marked with mountain snowflake and an A/T tyre.

geoffj

Yokohama Geolanders +1

I have them in my truck – sort of an AT tyre but good in the snow too.

PePPeR

Another vote for the Goodyear Wranglers, I have them on my Isuzu Trooper and they’re brilliant tyres.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Put a set of Michelin Latitude Cross onto my Ranger end of last year. Been really impressed in the mud and snow with them.

Getting another 30 to 40 miles a tank too, was very surprised.

burko73

Got Yokohama ego landers on my ranger. Cheapish from black circles and have been good off road and on. Wearing well as well.

nasher
    Free Member

yoko geolanders again, good price brilliant in the wet and lots of grip in the snow

richmars

Again, Geolanders on my X-Trail. Got from black Circles. Fine on road, and, so far, fine in mud.

slackalice
    Free Member

Same as rich mars, Geolanders A/T’s, but not from blackcircles. Impressed with them so far.

tymbian
    Free Member

Is it worth buying online and getting the local depot to fit or are they not happy fitting tyres they haven’t sold? What can I expect to pay per tyre to fit? ( I can expect they don’t get rid of the old tyres).

jambob67
    Free Member

Another vote for the good year wrangler duratrac they are brill I have them on my range rover .very stable at high speeds and quiet on road and awesome off road and in the snow.i was down the Galloway hills a few weeks back in 1 foot of snow and they were amazing.

maccruiskeen

Is it worth buying online and getting the local depot to fit or are they not happy fitting tyres they haven’t sold? What can I expect to pay per tyre to fit? ( I can expect they don’t get rid of the old tyres).

Call them up and ask – in my experience having your own tyres fitted costs about the same as having a puncture repaired – £10 each in my local, I’d expect you’d get charged for disposal on top of that but I wasn’t last time – should only be about £1 each. Some of the online sellers have lists of fitters local to you.

Ask them for a price the tyres while you’re at it – because with fitting on top buying online isn’t alway cheaper and they should quote a keen price knowing you’re looking online

burko73

I use the blackcircles local fitting service. Works great. Used to get them delivered and fitted by another local guy but he used to get a bit funny about doing it.

It’s like ordering off wiggle and getting your lbs to fit it.

tymbian
    Free Member

I seem to be looking at around £100 a corner…Is that right?

burko73

Mine were cheaper than that. I had 265/65/15 s or something like that. Quite big tyres on a 15inch rim

Think I had the lot fitted for £350 or less.

Standard Geolanders don’t exactly look ‘beefy’. Duratracs are more the part though

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Not the standard Geolandars, you want the all terrains.
    These, http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/detail/geolandar_a_t_s

tymbian
    Free Member

Sadly 265 70 15s needed, but £87 a corner from the above site. Cheers all.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘OT – which 'beefy' 4X4 tyres that don't break the bank and are good on the road?’ is closed to new replies.