Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • OT: walking socks – help
  • ski
    Free Member

Looking to get some decent hiking socks for a gift.

My Brother is 25 off the Wainwright 214, so he is looking to complete it this year.

I am planning to join him for the last few, so could do with some too for myself 😉

Any fellow hikers here that can give me some pointers, he mentioned that he use "double wool socks" but I cannot seem to find out anything about these?

Ta very much.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

You can't go far wrong with these:

http://www.bridgedale.com/Products/OutDoor/

IMHO of course…

karnali
    Free Member

alpkit walkingsocaks are great 3 pairs for 15 post to the door can't go wrong

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

+1 for Bridgedale. Always been very impressed with them.

Jerome
    Free Member

Bridgedale and have a seperate coolmax liner.
    Two pairs of socks are a must..
    J.

TooTall
    Free Member

Smartwool socks – not cheap, but a superb present and the very best socks I've ever used. I'll not buy anything else now.

Two pairs of socks are not a must and, as the guy in question has done that many Wainrights, he probably has his feet and boots well sorted by now.

johnners
    Free Member

Thorlo and Smartwool are very good. I don't like Brasher, and will have to give Bridgedale a try!

Hiking socks come in a big variety of weights and thicknesses though, and they can have a big impact on boot fit so they're a slightly risky present for a keen walker – keep the receipt!

psling
    Free Member

He's probably using double loop socks, a favourite of us old-timers 😉 'Available from all reputable walking gear shops'

tragically1969
    Free Member

No need to look any further than Bridgedale.

backhander
    Free Member

See if you can get hold od the current Army desert issue socks, far better than my bridgedales/brashers/smartwool. Use with a thin bridgedale coolmax sock as a liner so that the friction is between sock layers rather than sock/foot, reducing blisters.
    http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/outdoor-clothing/desert-camo-clothing/genuine-british-army-desert-486863.html

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Bridgedale for me as well, although I'd never wear two pairs, only ever one, loads of different types for different jobs though. Found that two can cause rubbing if you get the slightest ridge in them, have found the same issue with twin layer runiing socks.

pjd
    Free Member

Bridgedale are good but I prefer the smartwool for proper tramping.

but as said above very personal choice is the socks.

smartwool's suit my sweaty feet i think

Jenga
    Free Member

He's probably using double loop socks

Didn't they have a high nylon content, too keep the loop in shape? Could shred your feet when wet.

Bridgedales are good, as above.

speaker2animals

Love Smartwool and virtually live in them. I had three pairs of Brashers given to me as a present. One pair I love to bits but the other two are weird. One pair feel like they are made out of card and another pair are fine and comfy. The only trouble being that they are really hard to get on as the elastic around the top is very tight and not very elastic.

Bridgedale are v good as are Thorlo. If it was a present to me I'd be happiest with Smartwool.

Not sure where the "2 pairs are a must" comes from. I only ever use a liner if it's very cold.

ski
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips above, will go and check them out.

voodoo_chile

try wigwam merino if you can find them one of the best socks out there along with fox river, also agree with everyone about bridgedale great socks love the summit sock if you have space inside in your boot also light hiker for spring /summer use

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘OT: walking socks – help’ is closed to new replies.