Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • OT tethering (for free ) advice please
  • deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

ho as a lot of you folks seem pretty tech savvy thought i would ask for advice on tethering

i have no landline and have been tethering UNLIMITED my mobile on three mobile one plan for last 12 months . this plan is ending so tethering around 30gb per month is looking a tad expensive .

so has anyone any experience of using these apps like foxfi etc that disguise thethering and make it look like your using your unlimited mobile internet on your phone .? looking at giff gaff at £18 per month got unlimeted mobile internet
    any advice appreciated thanks Tam

lister-hooded
    Free Member

I think you have 2 options.

1/ stay on the 1 plan until you want or need to upgrade your phone. As long as you stay put you will have unlimited tethering

2/ change plan, I recently did this, and do a bit of hunting on Android forums ( assuming you don’t get an I phone )

Guy in the store was quite helpful about sidestepping tethering limits in so much as he did say it was doable, pointed me at searching forums but didn’t actually show me how, but did hint he had set his phone up and it was easy.

As yet my tethering hasn’t been close to the 2 gig limit so I haven’t bothered
    My plan is unlimited data hence 2 gig tether, lower data plans have lower or NO thither limits

ampthill

OK a bit of speculation

I often wonder why days after the iphone 6 comes out they are o ale in CEX

Presumably you can stay on your contract but don’t want to as its pricey having now effectively pais for the phone

So is one answer to ask 3 for a phone upgrade and then sell it as way of recouping the cost of your contracts high payments?

Hang on a mo

why not just gt a 3 sim only deal. They all seem to allow tethering

All you can eat from £15 a month

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones

stumpy01

When your contract ends, does it not just go onto a rolling monthly contract? That’s what all mine have ever done.
    Can you not just keep that one going?

Greybeard
    Free Member

All you can eat from £15 a month

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones

I’m seeing £20/month minimum on that link, are they quoting different prices based on previous searches?

In the small print, it says tethering is limited to 4GB on all-you-can-eat data.

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

THANKS for the replys guys
    the one plan is ending so no more unlimited tethering on my 18 pound sim only 1 month deal
    they offered to transfer to 23 pound with 4 gb which is in the scale of things competitive but as ive been using 30gb streaming with zero issues im a bit gutted .
    im on giff gaff as we speak tethering through foxfi app so so far so good
    anyone any other info on how to set up mobile setting to “hide ” tethering usage
    would really appreciate it as it will mean i can do without house phone and associated costs thanks tam

ampthill

Greybeard

Click “Show more plans” at the bottom

£15 is 200 minutes

Sorry didn’t see the 4GB limit

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Giffgaff are a no no they run some serious sniffing software that’ll boot you off immediately even with disguising software

alexxx
    Free Member

You’re scaring me – what do you mean it’s ending? I literally live off my phone as we don’t have landline internet and three has saved me a massive ballache!

??

scrumfled
    Free Member

giff gaff allow tethering on most of their plans.

Im on a pikey cheap as chips deal with them and tether like crazy.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Not on unlimited they dont

sniff
    Free Member

Virgin mobile £20 monthly rolling unlimited and includes tethering.

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

thanks all will look at virgin
    anyone recommend a app thats good for hiding tethering ? cheers
    alex expect a letter as one plan is ending and the network that was supposedly built for internet is limiting tethering to 4gb max ! cheeky feckers imho

alexxx
    Free Member

Absolutely gutted… my £20 a month bill will turn into about £300 a month for my usage on satellite and it’ll be slower… fingers crossed I can eek it out for the 12months I think I signed up to.

alexxx
    Free Member

Oh and if Sniff is correct… that’s vgood news as thats’ the EE network which is the only other one supported by me!

I’ll have to look at the small print when it comes to it

ampthill

So is this response to G4 meaning that the service is so good that its tempting for people to do everything via their mobile and thus clog up all the capacity?

sniff
    Free Member

You’ll probably find it hard to find it documented but Virgin definitely allow it as I do it currently.

bensales
    Free Member

None of the mobile networks have capacity sufficient to support people doing 30GB of tethered data per month. And all anyone doing so is doing, is screwing the network performance for everyone else.

The days of unlimited data, tethered or not, are ending as it’s simply not sustainable.

bensales
    Free Member

sniff – Member
    You’ll probably find it hard to find it documented but Virgin definitely allow it as I do it currently.

It would appear not….

http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/sim-only/pay-monthly-sim.html

Expand the ‘General’ terms at the bottom:

You cannot share your data connection with other devices – known as “Tethering” – or use your phone for peer to peer file sharing. Acceptable use policy applies.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘OT tethering (for free ) advice please’ is closed to new replies.