• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • OT: reporting bad/dangerous driving?
  • ski
    Free Member

Is it worth contacting the police if no damage or harm has been done?

My Wife has just called me and sounds very upset and shaken!

She was in the passenger seat of a car, with three other work colleagues driving back from a meeting on the Motorway.

Only got a snippet of the incident, but it sounds like another driver at speed, deliberately cut them up and braked hard in front of their vehicle, to leave the motorway late.

Causing the driver of the car she was in, to skid and swerve violently, narrowly missing another vehicle which was also overtaking in the middle lane, they were in the inside lane!

Sounds like a close one as my Mrs is one tough cookie normally.

Anyway, they are all back in the office and discussing if its worth reporting the incident or not, they have a description of the drive, make and model of car plus reg.

What do you think?

I think a large red wine is what is called for when she gets home tonight 😉

[just a though, if something like this is reported to the Police, what actually happens? does it just get logged and nothing else? do they contact the driver concerned?]

coffeeking
    Free Member

Report it, they may do nothing but they will most likely take a trip round to see the driver when they get a quiet moment.

ski
    Free Member

The driver does not want to take it further, but all the passengers do apparently.

that’s back seat drivers for you 😉

hora
    Free Member

I don’t think its under Section 59 however there is a specific section where a driver can be traced by the Police (as long as there witnesses or a Police Officer has reasonable suspicion) and served with a sort of yellow card on their driving. Another warning received within 12months can result in confiscation of their car.

Someone did the same to me on Sat however I had been watching his driving in his rear view mirrors so was well aware he was going to do something similar erratic when he passed me as well- still the GF wasnt best pleased when he cut us up across 3lanes to ‘just’ miss the hard shoulder!

cynic-al
    Free Member

3 witnesses, go for it.

goon
    Free Member

So if I reported the cretin I repeatedly see using a mobile while driving all manner of HGVs and wagons to the police they wouldn’t just laugh? Twice I’ve seen him almost wipe out a parked car.

He’s a very successful truck racer apparently, but I just think he’s a dangerous fool. I’ve been wondering for a while what I can do about it, but thought the police might not be interested.

hora
    Free Member

Put it this way goon. What if you arent the only person reporting the bad driving? Do you think someone in traffic might look into this more? Call your local station and ask to be put through to a Traffic Officer.

coffeeking
    Free Member

What’ll you do when next week they swipe a child. You’ll wish you’d reported it then.

project
    Free Member

As Hora says above, always report it, theyl have a word.

My works van has a bad driveing sticker in the back,the number is for a sex line, bet it causes a panic when they ring it, and when the bill comes in, especially if theyve used a company phone, or the wife rings it, strangely most people ring it twice, as first time they think theyve mis-dialed.

coffeeking
    Free Member

strangely most people ring it twice, as first time they think theyve mis-dialed.

How do you know they ring it twice, do you man the sex line?

goon
    Free Member

What’ll you do when next week they swipe a child. You’ll wish you’d reported it then.

Alright, calm down. 🙄 It’s been on my mind for a while, but I’ve been worried the police would think me a time waster or something. I shall be passing them his details presently.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Report it. I went to the cops after soneone pulled a dangerous move when I was on a motorbike Cops said they wouldn’t be able to purue it as it was my words against theirs (drivers). I said fair enough, but maybe the boys in blue turning at his home to have a wrd, maybe with the family were at home, would make hm think in future. Cop saw my point and agreed.
    Police seem to be even more road safenow, so with witnesses – go for it. emember, if this idiot drives like that, you could be saving someone’s life, either by giving e driver a wake up call or getting them off the road.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I hate this fekkin keyboard

waihiboy
    Free Member

years ago my wife was cut up and the guy got out of the car and hammered on her window, she had to reverse back and drive off.

anyway the point being she reported it and gave the police the car reg, the idiot even had his local council name tag on and driving the works van. they actually called round and had a ‘word in his ear’, then called her back and asked if she wanted to take it further…

alwyn
    Free Member

Definitally Report it.

I wanted to report a woman today driving a Nissan Almera at 20 in a 60 zone, this caused at least 15 cars to overtake her around corners and in places where they shouldn’t. One almost hit an oncoming car, if she’d been driving at a proper speed this wouldn’t have happened. Sometimes slow drivers are far more dangerous then speeding ones.

mefster
    Free Member

Driving back from the Lakes on the M6 a couple of years back we were overtaken by some clown in a people carrier. The motorway was busy, it was raining, and this bloke was in the outside lane driving really aggresively; tailgating cars, drifting over the white line on either sides of the road. A real accident waiting to happen.

After watching the guy driving like this for a good while we decided something should be done, so Mrs M got the number for Lancashire Police. We called and told them the car details and where we were. A few miles down the road and we passed the car- it’d been pulled by an unmarked traffic car on the hard shoulder. I was impressed they responded so quickly.

eldridge
    Free Member

My works van has a bad driveing sticker in the back,the number is for a sex line, bet it causes a panic when they ring it, and when the bill comes in, especially if theyve used a company phone, or the wife rings it, strangely most people ring it twice, as first time they think theyve mis-dialed.

project

Is this actually true? The “How’s my driving” sticker gives a sex line number? And you are OK with this – you think it’s funny?

Genuinely interested in your response

hora
    Free Member

years ago my wife was cut up and the guy got out of the car and hammered on her window, she had to reverse back and drive off.

I genuinely dont ‘get’ how blokes can do that to a female driver.

eldridge lighten up!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘OT: reporting bad/dangerous driving?’ is closed to new replies.