Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • OT Offas Dyke..walking/ bivvy
  • brack
    Free Member

I plan to walk this from South to North starting on Weds.

Unfortunately it will be on foot as I have my dog with me.

Has anyone walked it and bivvyed along the way?

boblo
    Free Member

walked it and camped, few years ago mind. I think Offa might just have still been around 🙂

Bit’s of it are near quite built up areas and there were a few farms doing camping as a sideline. If you bivy late and choose your spots carefully, you should be OK.

Stoner
    Free Member

I regularly bivvy in the black mountains and walk sections of the dyke path but not done the full monty.

I recommend beer at Llanthony Priory and you’ll find plenty of spots near by (some very very near if you are cheeky 🙂 ) to tuck yourself away. Its a steady climb back up again on to the hill from the priory.

Llantony priory is on the right. This is the view down from the top of the northern path off the hill.

Closeup. The bar is underneath the building on the right. Felin Foel Double Dragon on tap. *hic*

I might have accidentally fallen asleep in my bivvy bag under the ruin’s walls on the left side of the building… 😈

brack
    Free Member

Liking the sound of that pub!!

anokdale
    Free Member

Would second stoners comments, i live around there and the priory bar is a must, sometimes you get a good night in there if the campsites and barn have the right sort of folk in. Sells hot food as well. You can bivvy almost anywhere around here as long as you pitch late on and leave at first light, some decent B and Bs if it gets too wet. I will look out for a bloke with his dog over the next week or so.

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive eaten there too, but the food is very…shall we say…”Welsh”; i.e. a bit sub-average. Sorry anok, but a decent food pub in wales is a rarity (although I ate well at the oak at rhandimyrwn.)

[hijack]How’s your Libyan BTW?[/hijack]

brack
    Free Member

I’m planning to head from south to north and who knows might bump into you guys en route…

Brack and molly the dog

anokdale
    Free Member

Stoner, agreed but if you have been up there all day it is not that bad, i would call it at the Rising Sun on the A465 or just up the road at the Pandy Inn. For the OP both pubs have campsites adjacent so you get cleaned up if you wanted.

Libyan well its Mia Mia Inshalla, been back twice with press crews, once to Misurata in April and Last month to the Nafusa mountains, great up there, be a good ride when the loons stop **** about, due to travel to Tripoli soon with another crew, hope it ends soon as i would like to get back there with the day job as i cannot stand working at the head office here in the UK, unfortunately two of our staff are locked up as they come from the wrong part of Tripoli and another is missing, he has Benghazi roots which is not a good thing to have on your cv.

Stoner
    Free Member

Missed your reply anokdale, but if you get back to it, thanks and good luck.

All my Libyan stuff is well on hold for now…and I never got a chance to go out for site visits. Maybe in a few years time. They were mostly tourism related projects. Probably be revived once some stability returns.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘OT Offas Dyke..walking/ bivvy’ is closed to new replies.