Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • OT – linkedin question for those that use it….
  • DT78
    Free Member

So just started out on the site (5 days or so) based on comment from my team and a few threads on here.

Have started joining a few groups, and have received an invite from a person who I have not met stating they'd like to network etc..

Turns out they are a CEO in the US. Googling the chap he seems completely genuine, own blogs etc…

Does this thing happen on linkedin alot? Just seems a bit random for such a senior person to be approaching people in this way – could it be a scam of some description? I am paranoid and unduly suspicious?

iDave
    Free Member

why the paranoia? what do you think he might do?

GrahamS

Not had that myself. He shouldn't really be added to your network if you don't know them IMO.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There are a number of people in the US who treat the number of "connections" as a source of great pride and will try and connect with anyone. As ever, only connect with people you either know, or who would be beneficial for you to know! My connections are 100% from those two categories, as are my recommendations!

Also, do bear in mind that pretty much anyone above a cook and bottle washer is a CEO in the US of A! They give people new job titles as a way of promotion without cost!

hora
    Free Member

It pays to reject or not accept some people.

Why would he be contacting you? Is he in your industry? If not- I say your right to be hesitant.

donsimon
    Free Member

What's the scam? I wouldn't worry about it, accept or reject if you want.

iDave
    Free Member

flash, your CEO comment is bull. might apply to VPs but not CEO. How many CEO's do each company have?

It pays to reject or not accept some people.

Why? How does it 'pay'?

DT78
    Free Member

Yep in my industry, owns a couple of software companies (if he is who he says he is)

It would seem he is a 3rd level (is that how you say it?) connection to me.

Might accept and see what happens. So far I've only accepted people I have worked with or are friends

Just wondered if it's the equivalent of the spam I get on yahoo every 5 minutes, or someone trying to ID scam

belgianbob

Could you send any spare CEOs, CFOs and VPs of marketing and communications with spare cash to me, please… I could do with some wealthy clients!

donsimon
    Free Member

Just wondered if it's the equivalent of the spam I get on yahoo every 5 minutes.

I think LinkedIn is a bit more serious than Yahoo, I imagine any spam or anything you consider to be like spam would be dealt with by LinkedIn if you bring it to their attention.

Yahoo! on the other hand are just plain crap!

hora
    Free Member

Why? How does it 'pay'

I accepted two people who turned out to be head hunters and my summary/cv went spec'd out somewhere and said-person contacted me to say they had 'some interest' for me.

Peeved.

iDave
    Free Member

So the problem is people in recruitment doing their job effectively?

DT78
    Free Member

I've seen a few people with full CV's on there, I thought that was kind of dangerous as it would be easy for someone to get a lot of info about you.

I've just got a fairly sales pitchy intro (which is not the same as the crap most people who do my job say) followed by job titles, company and date. No more detail than that.

Oh and a bit about collecting and actually riding mountain bikes in my interests 🙂

This person certainly doesn't look like a headhunter.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘OT – linkedin question for those that use it….’ is closed to new replies.