Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • OT ish Folding bike
  • mlke
    Free Member

I’m considering a folding bike to aid train commuting.
    Fast and tidy folding is probably more of a priority than performance.
    Bromptons seem to be an option as they seem to magic in seconds to the size of a wheel. But they look a bit Heath Robinson
    Airnimals don’t seem to fold fast and easily but ride well.

Has anyone positive experiences of other makes?
    I’ve seen Dahon bikes about town, and also flexy no name folding bikes?

aP
    Free Member

Bromptons are the best compromise for folding and riding. If you want to do more riding then there are better bikes, although to be honest none of them folder better than a Brompton.

speaker2animals

I have a friend who has a Dahon with 20″ wheels. He bought it following a motorcycle accident to do his commute on but has since reverted to driving the car now and has mentioned selling. Would you be interested if I found out more?

Norton
    Free Member

Just bought two Bike Fridays – rides like a road bike, does fold but more of a packable bike – similar to an Airnimal but US handmade/custom made in steel.

Could also consider a Bernds?

rewski
    Free Member

Check out Dahon jetstream p8

IainAhh
    Free Member

Bromptons may look a bit funny, but they ride very well and can be folded or unfolded in 30 secs and take up a small amount of space, and will fit between seats etc, under your desk, approx the size of a travel bag.

If you go to any of the main train stations in London. A large number of people with bikes have bromptons. It’s there size and easy of folding that makes them sell.

If you haven’t tried one I would before making a decision.

mlke
    Free Member

mmm again not sure about the bike fridays as airnimals are too faffy with folding.
    I’ll check out the dahons – it would be nice to get a test ride somewhere

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Work of Satan.

rewski
    Free Member

Bromptons make you look like you’re on a circus bike

seannmiller
    Free Member

The Dahon Boardwalk folding bike, which promotes a safe and clean transportation is the bike that I would personally recommend for you.
    It’s make of high quality, yet light weight and sturdy material for maximum convenience.
    You don’t have to buy a new car or any kind of vehicle that would bring you anywhere around town or city.

Whether or not you are working, you can definitely make use of the Dahon boardwalk bicycle. Check out my website to find out more info…

http://folding-bike-reviews.com

nuke

I picked up a Dahon Curve D3 off eBay…like new but under £250. Fantastic little bike and I use it for commuting to and from the train station and nipping to the shops/supermarket (Just fold it up and carry it in with me), post office etc. Small enough to fit under my desk, in the boot of the car and on train luggage stands. Only downside I can see to the Brompton is that it hasn’t got the little wheels for towing. Amazing how after getting one, walking has become such a chore 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

seannmiller, spamtastic!

aP – Member
    Bromptons are the best compromise for folding and riding. If you want to do more riding then there are better bikes, although to be honest none of them folder better than a Brompton.

^This. All of this^

nickf
    Free Member

I looked at the Brompptons but just couldn’t reconcile the price and the weight. They also didn’t ride at all well.

I’ve now got 2 folders – one’s a Trek-badged Dahon, the other a proper Dahon. The Trek was secondhand (£200) off the classifieds, and the other one is a Mu SL, which really is a cracker. Very quick, and quite a lot of fun.

Both fold small (though not as small as a Brompton) and are fine for putting in the car or taking on a train. If I were a regular bus-traveller then I’d get a Brompton – they really do pack that bit smaller. But they ride a lot worse, IMO; much preferred the Dahon’s slightly more bike-like feel.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

My Birdy rides very much like a normal bike, esp with Big Apple tyres on.

rootes1

Brompton def – if you fold lots i.e. for train everyday and to take into the office you can’t beat them

just done Lejog in 8 days on a brompton – they are far more usable than people make out

aP
    Free Member

Yesterday I rode nearly 30 miles round Town on my Brompton, up to Marble Arch, left it in the site office whilst I did a walkaround with the contractor, then cycled down through the park, across the front of Buck Pal, out past 55 Broadway then down to the Tate Britain where I took it in with me, then afterwards cycled home alongside the river and ended up with a pleasant couple of pints of Twickenham Grandstand.
    Brompton seemed pretty OK to me, admittedly not as fast as the road bike I’m riding today as I’ll be doing 45 miles training tonight before going to vote.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I looked at Bromptons and decided they were a bit wobbly for me (I’m a roadieracer and 29erSSMTB’er and like a stiff bike) even though the Brompton folds well it’s not, for me, a good ride. So I looked around at loads and decided that the Dahon Vitesse (in hub geared) was the best by far, stiff, light, strong, folds well (though not as neat as the Brompton) you can buy loadsa stuff for it if you like, but I just ride to the station and train journey the rest.. fit’s perfect, rides well and I’ve confidence in the build quality.. It’s stealth black too, which I really like the look of.

rootes1

also with respect to Bromptons the flat bars ‘S’ ride much better than the std curly handle bar ‘M’ type..

less bendy feeling, lower and further forward hand position.

do feel different – i also have a road bike and 29er mtb – but you get used to them

bikebouy
    Free Member

I even looked at the Dahon X27h which is more roadie based (and more expensive) but for what I use mine for, and it’s intended use of city break riding and folding up storage in hotels etc.. just a simple hub geared solid foldie.. seems to do the job so far.
    Oh, no disrespect at all to Bromptons.. I love the fact that they all get together and meet up, even have the Worlds Series too which is hilarious if you ever go to see it, last one was in London, don’t know where this years is, London again I guess.. Oh yea they were racing at Raphas NightSeries in Smithfileds too.. brilliant stuff.

simon_g

Tried Dahons and Mezzos, went for a Brompton S2L.

They do take a bit of getting used to but fine once you do. They fold the smallest, which is crucial for a train commute – they go fine in luggage racks, or between back-to-back seats. The luggage system around the front block is great too (plus having some weight there makes it feel more stable too).

Still very happy with mine.

rootes1

Oh, no disrespect at all to Bromptons.. I love the fact that they all get together and meet up, even have the Worlds Series too which is hilarious if you ever go to see it, last one was in London, don’t know where this years is, London again I guess..

World Champs for the last three years was at Blenhiem Palace – there again this year (much bigger event that the Nocaturne in London and brompton only (anny folder can be used at the Nocaturne – – i came 20th that year at blenhiem.. 2:1 to me against my best mate over the last three years

great fun!

bullheart
    Free Member

I have a Dahon Cadenza; 26″ wheels, full Tiagra, Midge bars, goes like shit off a shovel. 2007 model. Ace bike…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘OT ish Folding bike’ is closed to new replies.