Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • OT – inflatable kayaks
  • ninkynonk
    Free Member

daughter #1 has decided that cycling really isn’t for her and I’m fine with that as I don’t want to be a pushy parent. On a recent trip she saw an inflatable kayak and said she’d love to do have one to do lots of “daddy & daughter adventures”.

Basically I know naff all about them, how much do they cost and what do you get for your money? Can anyone give any pointers please and/or point me in the direction of a STW similar forum for kayaking?

cheers

postierich
    Free Member

Inflatable kayaks bought one as we moved to the lakes had lots of fun in them but tubes are always puncturing on the seams and not easy to fix I would go for the sturdy option myself!
    Ours is the blue one now redundant due to two tubes beyond repair and costly to replace go rigid if you can
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/ftZjcw]DSCF3749[1][/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

joebristol

I bought a single seater one for about £200 about 10 years ago. I fancied giving it a go and a mate was going to get one as well. I had a Honda S2000 at the time so inflatable was the only option as it fit in the boot. Used it 3 times or so as my mate bottled out of buying one after I bought mine (annoyingly).

Seemed pretty good and inflated / deflated well – handled ok on the river I used it on. I’m not a skilled ‘kayak-ist’ by any stretch of the imagination though.

I guess a rigid one would be better if you can transport it / store it though. The sea kayaks look more stable from what I’ve seen.

winston
    Free Member

Get Gumotex not sevylor.
    Inflatables are great but only in the right circumstances. Kayaking is a fantastic sport but just like cycling it us a bit of a minefield for kit and you dont want to end up with the equiverlent of a Halfords Apollo

I run a kayak shop so appreciate no adverts here but if you want to chat pm me as my private email is in profile.

epicyclo

Inflatables are a PITA if there’s any wind at all.

crankinirish
    Free Member

I have an NRS Outlaw, its a 2 person inflatable. I regularly take my 5 year old daughter out on rivers up to grade 3. In fact she had her first descent of the Nantahala today and we ran the Nantahala falls. I’m not sure how to post pics or I would.

chrisylad24
    Free Member

I am exactly the same as the op daughter not into bikes but likes a paddle every now and then . I did a lot of looking around and to be honest if you’re going to use it a lot go for the better more expensive ones I know that we will only use it occasionally so I went for the sevylor Wabash from decathlon it’s the same as the more expensive maddison and it does everything we want and easy to blow up and let down , drying can be a pain but I can live with it and if my daughter’s intrest grows then I would consider a better one.

eskay

A mouse destroyed mine.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘OT – inflatable kayaks’ is closed to new replies.