• This topic has 42 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by grum.
Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • OT. Holland – it's a bit weird, isn't it?
  • rkk01
    Free Member

Some interesting insights, especially from the British and Dutch expats!

Overall I left with a very good impression – I think there are some close cultural similarities with the Brits, and maybe the surprising ones are those that reflect what we don’t like to readily recognise in ourselves…

I thought Delft was fairly disappointing – until I walked into the centre. And yes Delft = Zuid Holland, as quite a lot of the posters etc proclaimed.

To like:
    People were friendly and helpful
    Very organised and efficient – airport, rail system, transport system in general
    Working environment and ethic appeared to be very, very good. All worked hard, fully engaged & committed, but without the “grind” expected in UK. Offices were plush and staff motivated – and wandering off after lunchtime on Friday seemed part of the deal – recognised in lieu of working hard.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Many years ago my sister met a Dutchman whilst we were on holiday in Ibiza, Anyway once we were back in Wales Marcel & his mate Marcus came over for a visit, very nice funny guys however very racist as we past a sign warning of cattle on the way to the pub they sparked up we have those signs with black people on back home, they were also very negative about the Belgians. On a good point they introduced me to Bob Dylan, Story of the Hurricane which was a bit ironic.

Oh they were also policemen! 😯

grum
    Free Member

My experience of Holland/the Dutch is they are very similar to Germans, though they would claim otherwise. Also, Austrian ski resorts seem to be full of big beery Dutch redneck types who love that weird oompah German/Austrian dance music.

I seem to remember there was a blog linked to on here from an ex pat living there who properly slated it. I’ve always found it fairly pleasant to visit though.

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘OT. Holland – it's a bit weird, isn't it?’ is closed to new replies.