Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • OT: Furniture
  • thekingisdead
    Free Member

I’m in the market for some new furntiture – Two Sofa’s, Dining Room Table, Sideboard etc.

Having always relied on being given such items in the past (or more accuratly having a woman tell me what we’re having) , I have no idea on who makes (or rather sells) decent furniture.

I dont (can’t) spend £££’s on bespoke stuff, but likewise dont want some cheap tat.

Any recommendations, apart from just heading to John Lewis or M&S as a “trusted” brand?

Thanks in advnace.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Auctions – proper local ones, not fleabay.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Secondhand in some form. A lot more for your money

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Depends on what you mean by £££’s, one persons ££££££’s is another mans £’s so an idea of the actual budget would be a help.

Also what sort of design do you like, me I like modern European furniture other people hate the sight of it and prefer something more traditional.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Secondhand in some form. A lot more for your money

not for sofas we desperately wanted to find a good s/h sofa but they were all shot, stained or shocking. We ended up at SCS with a British built one that is very nice but not cheap.

crispy
    Free Member
    thekingisdead
    Free Member

Budget – 1 thousand ish per item (although the right peice for less is also acceptable;) , not 3 thousand per item.

(prepares to be told that’s cheap….)

allthepies
    Free Member

Ikea.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

You should be able to get something well made and to your taste for that sort of budget. Now what sort of thing you looking for?

when you say sideboard do you picture something like this?

Or something like this?

Or something else entirely.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

very expensive to me – thats why I buy secondhand

creamegg
    Free Member

I have a nice comfy second hand leather sofa in storage (working abroad) that i would consider selling. If your interested I should be able to dig out a picture from somewhere. Was £1750 ish new. Don’t really want to sell but its costing me money in storage.

EDIT: id sell for around £900 ish (Cardiff area)
    Oh and its a 3 and a 2 seater (but quite big- youd fit 4 on the 3 seater at a squeeze)

stumpy01

We bought a dining table & chairs from this place:

http://www.pinesolutions.co.uk/

it’s really chunky and pretty good quality.
    What you get for the money is hard to ignore, although there are other similar online places out there.

We used them in the past to get 2 chest of drawers, so knew what to expect in terms of build/quality.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Muppetwrangler – the latter

Creamegg – thanks for the offer, but avoiding leather cos its cold in the winter 😉

mugsys_m8

Can second indigo stuff from Matlock.

Have a lovely set of drawers and coffee table.

creamegg
    Free Member

no worries… cant find a picture anyway

ourmaninthenorth

Furniture is a really tricky one, as it’s limited by budget, space and taste.

Looks my muppetwrangler and I have similarly (good) taste….

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Muppetwrangler – the latter

Sorry, but I don’t think I can be a lot of help as my tastes are in the former camp. I do think you should be able to find something well made and within budget in the style you’re looking for though.

Hopefully now we’ve pinned down what kind of thing you’re looking for somebody else will be able to throw in some useful recommendations.

puppypower
    Free Member

feather and black have nice stuff imo

jonba
    Free Member

don’t discount bespoke just because you think it will be expensive.

Obviously this depends on your budget but when we were looking for wardrobes for our bedroom we looked at fitted, ikea, stand alone wooden ones.

We paid £1000 for a solid oak triple wardrobe that was 7-8 foot high. This was vastly cheaper than anything we had seen elsewhere of similar materials.

I wouldn’t worry about brand but look at quality. Look to make sure that drawers etc. are stong and won’t fall apart. We went to a local independent furniture shop to get a table. People are doing much the same with furniture that people do with bike kit. There’s a lot of stuff coming from China in flat packs to be put together by shops. Some of it is quite good quality.

flowerpower
    Free Member

I bought a couple of sofas from ‘SofaSofa’. I think that they have a showroom somewhere – but it is basically just internet sales. Loads of styles to choose from and different material options for each style. They send you fabric samples to get the right colour before you order.

Basically good, solid sofas at a cheaper price as the company doesn’t have ‘shop’ overheads.

I think you have 14 days after the sofas are delivered to change your mind and they collect them and refund you if you aren’t happy. Mine are great quality and they were easy to deal with and buy.

http://www.sofasofa.co.uk/

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘OT: Furniture’ is closed to new replies.