• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by br.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • OT + Dull: Pensions for Contractors
  • boblo
    Free Member

It’s near my year end and I’d like to make some Pension contributions (rather than feed the Exchequer). Looking for:

Flexible contributions
    Reasonable returns
    Safe
    Low costs

Probably gonna stick £20k – £30k in dependent on the above. What are people using and any recomendations please?

samuri
    Free Member

One of my contractors here invests all his spare cash in a company in Nigeria who carries out health and safety inspections of oil refineries.

Apparently the H&S over there is of a significantly lower standard than over here but that makes their job easier. It’s very profitable I believe.

Pembo
    Free Member

SIPP from Hargreaves Lansdown or BestInvest

Low cost and you make your own investment choices depending on your attitude to risk

IHN

Reasonable returns
    Safe

Pick one.

lodious
    Free Member

SIPP from Hargreaves Lansdown. Easy to set up, great to deal with over the phone, you don’t neeed and IFA, costs appear to be low with lot’s of control over what you invest in. Simple internet login to make trades.

I’ve had a pension for the last 6 years with a typical pension provider, and TBH, it’s been hopeless. The returns have been so poor, that it’s detered me from investing in it. At least with the HL pension, I bear the responsibility if it goes bad. So far (based on investments picked in a lunch hour) it’s done a million times better than the previous pension.

Did I mention you don’t have to involve an IFA?

br
    Free Member

We used an IFA recommended by our Accountants. Both do a great job.

boblo
    Free Member

Ta. That sounds just the ticket. I don’t mind using IFA’s if they add to the process. However, they usually just want their fee whilst the projected returns tank…… I’ve suggested in the past, they take their fees from returns, the silence was deafening.

br
    Free Member

Or if you just want to make sure the taxman doesn’t get it. Buy an asset. We got a Horsebox Truck a few years ago 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘OT + Dull: Pensions for Contractors’ is closed to new replies.