• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • OT – cement cladding a new dormer… Planning needed??
  • DrP

We’re doing a loft conversion under Permitted developments (though we’ve already had one neighbour pop in a complaint to the planning office recently!).
    The PD rights allow the exterior to be finished in “a material in keeping with the rest of the property”.

We can’t really brick the walls, and want cement board cladding…

Will I need to apply for planning for this (the cladding) – the bungalow currently doesn’t have any cladding on it, and like I say we can’t really brick up the dormer walls!

I spoke to the planning people today, and she seems to think it’ll be OK, but though I’d chase the hive mind to see what youse lot have done!

WWSTWD?

DrP

fionap

Assuming you’re not in a Conservation Area or similar as you wouldn’t be doing the work under PDR, is the cement board cladding “in keeping” with the rest of the street and unlikely to look out of place? You wouldn’t need permission to change any of your existing elevations to cement cladding so it’s a bit of a daft condition.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Pic of the property?
    Are you talking about the sides of the dormer windows?

DrP

You wouldn’t need permission to change any of your existing elevations to cement cladding so it’s a bit of a daft condition.

This is my thought.

Another thought is to actually cement clad the ‘top half’ of the bungalow/barn end, and then it IS in keeping!!

Very few other bungalows have had dormers put in, so that in itself is an oddity…

DrP

bruneep

Roof tile or roof slate?

DrP

Boom…!!

It’s a fair sized one!!

“Roof tile or roof slate?”

We could do, but as we’re near the sea, and want a cleaner/modern look, we’d like light grey cladding..

DrP

sharkbait
    Free Member

Jesus 😯
    … and that falls within permitted development?

Anyhoo… I’m not sure that light grey cladding is very similar to the existing building. Clad/render the whole house?

chunkypaul
    Free Member

personally i prefer the red tile clad finish

which will last much longer than the typical timber clad dormer

but you can get wood effect cement board now – Marley Eternit Cedral

DrP

It’s a big one, but only 30m^3 additional space!

That grey cement cladding is the one we want…maybe will need to get planning!

DrP

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘OT – cement cladding a new dormer… Planning needed??’ is closed to new replies.