Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • OT – Breakdown services – rip off???
  • oldgrump08
    Free Member

I'm paying for recovery services via my car insurance. Have had to use the service a couple of times (knackered battery at home and suspension problem nearby). Now that renewal time is coming up I see they've more than doubled the cost of the breakdown cover – is this normal practice? Certainly hasn't happened to me previously…..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I've made 3 callouts this year………..

1) faulty fuel guage and blocked fuel filter convinced me I'd sprung a massive petrol leak.

2) drained battery at home, would have jumped it off someone else, but was in a hurry to get the missus into hospital so had to call them out

3) clutch slave cylinder failiure

Dread to think what the premium will be next year! But at £100+ for a callout, £40 a year was good value! Anoyingly I managed 3 years without a problem before this!

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

just say that you dont want it and go with aa/rac etc if there cheaper

cynic-al
    Free Member

Premiums in "reflecting risk" shocker!

oldgrump08
    Free Member

I realise I can buy elsewhere, but just seems to be yet another ripoff – I'm not being offered a rebate for the other car!!!

brooess
    Free Member

chances are they had a lot more callouts than usual over winter which will have pushed their costs up. My car doesn't get used in the week, brakes seized. I got a quote from the local garage and a quote for an upgrade of my RAC cover to include homestart. RAC was cheaper so I upgraded and called them out. I guess I'm not the only one 🙁

oldgrump08
    Free Member

cynic-al – except as I've just pointed out, it doesn't. But thanksfor the helpful input 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

I didn't see that you'd pointed that out (and still don't).

My point is that if you make claims then the premium goes up as you are likely to make more in the future. AFAIK this is how these policies work.

I could moan about it too as my car insurance has gone up through vandalism/theft incidents that I didn't even claim on.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘OT – Breakdown services – rip off???’ is closed to new replies.