Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • OT: Boring question – pensions
  • Pook

I know nothing about them.

Say I had £300 a month to stick in a pension, where do I start?

djglover
    Free Member

Give it to me or set fire to it.

Pook

Then what?

Will that let me buy one of those baths that opens?

djglover
    Free Member

I don’t know, but I suspect most with a pension may as well do what I suggest.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

I’m assuming your employer (if you have one) doesn’t have a scheme. They are usually best as the employer may contibute, effectively topping up your salary.

Bit of a cop out but I’d advise go see an IFA. There are ALOT of pensions/funds to choose from, and you need to choose carefully (fee’s etc).

Alot will depend on age, expected retirement age, fincancial circumstances etc.

Pook

A happy diversion from farce to politics there, but back to the original question…

Where to start with getting a pension?

Pook

Cheers KiD – I’m really a novice in all of this.

At the mo I’m also on short term contracts so have no idea how that fits with my employer.

grahamt1980

If you have a financial advisor then ask them, its worth setting up as all pension payments into a properly set up scheme are tax exempt. Alos if you are self employed your pension payments from the company are NI exempt too.

I hope this is correct, its as much as I can remember from a pensions meeting at work

chickenman

The tax free bit is the big deal with pensions: If you pay £100 a month into your scheme, £120 gets paid into your fund. It does count as taxable income when you withdraw the money at maturity.
    I got fed up with below inflation growth and the huge whack my provider was taking for this fabulous service, so I transfered to a SIPP (self invested) and bought some shiney commodities. Fund has grown 34% in 6 months, but this is a bit of a one off; quite what I’ll do in the future with it I can’t say! At least some thieving fund manager won’t get his mits round it 😈

Pook

From reading up on it, my employer has one of the best pension schemes in the country and have recently bolstered it.

Being on repeated short term, extended contracts though I keep thinking I should get some consistency away from the company.

1) I’ve no idea what to put in
    2) Stakeholder/personal/something else…. it’s all greek to me!!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

What you need to do is save up for a deposit and run against George Osbourne at the next general election. Get voted in as a MP – there you go – bulletproof pension.

Pembo
    Free Member

Pook,
    Have a look at Martin Lewis’ website for starters.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘OT: Boring question – pensions’ is closed to new replies.