Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • OT: 2010 F1 Safety Car
  • thekingisdead
    Free Member
    theflatboy
    Free Member

wow, hadn't seen that! can't wait for the weekend for so many reasons 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Not so keen. Hate Merc styling in general.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Safety car looks great but I'm less impressed with the new Ferrari – I think Alonso will struggle for points this year unless the stick some tight single track in

PJM1974
    Free Member

Alonso is a great big baby.

I hope they paint a rattle on the side of his car.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Alonso is a great big baby.

True. But he's also the best driver on the grid!

the-muffin-man

True. But he's also the best driver on the grid!

cough!

splutter!

[mops-up cup of tea!]

😀

thekingisdead
    Free Member

😉

Im just waiting for the perennial "MotoGP is better" reply.

Finchie85
    Free Member

Hamilton by far the best!! Bring on the new season, can't wait!! Not sure about the new safety car, bit too 'old school'

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Best sounding car at a Grand Prix weekend. It sounds like a spitfire

Jamie
    Free Member

Im just waiting for the perennial "MotoGP is better" reply.

No point….it would be like saying the sea is wet. It's just a given 😉

Very nice looking safety brum brum tho.

mafiafish
    Free Member

Is that the stirling moss car? It's not too ridiculous in price (compared to astons and lambos) either.

the-muffin-man

Anyone up for a STW fantasy league?

http://fantasyf1game.net/

Free to do – I've already got a team set up – but we can set up our own league within the overall results.

Just for fun like!

colnagokid

That merc is the only interesting thing about F1, bring on motoGP- thats racing!

Runs away to hide 😀

markenduro
    Free Member

I'll take last years pace car off them if they don't need it any more. The sound that made really was beyond awesome.

Hairychested
    Free Member

MotoGP isn't better, it's waaaaaaayyyyyy better.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Had a quick look at the safety car pics………..it mings! 😆

naokfreek
    Free Member

Don't really like new mercs but old ones are nice and i like that!

brakes
    Free Member

original 300 SL gullwing is one of the prettiest cars of all time
    and the new version ain't too bad at all, as retro reworks go, it's a keeper

RustySpanner

As others have said above – the original was better.
    I'd still love one of the new ones though!

Timn
    Free Member

its about 1.5 seconds quicker per km than the old one it replaces

naokfreek
    Free Member

Is that good?

Gary_C

It sounds like a spitfire

Don't you mean a Messerschmitt?

naokfreek
    Free Member

You started it!!

rOcKeTdOg

rusty, that pic has made my day, what a beauty!

J0N
    Free Member

There's just something about it that doesn't sit right. I'm not sure if its the Nissan headlights if the mishmash grill/spoiler – too many grills. The Whole car looks dated to me already.
    IMHO of course. 😉

davidrussell
    Free Member

almost TVR styling on the shape of the top / front of the bonnet – bet its good fun on a track 🙂

glenp
    Free Member

its about 1.5 seconds quicker per km than the old one it replaces

Is that good?

It is indeed good – F1 is so mind-bendingly fast and pure that F1 cars cannot go as slowly as the (in any other world fire-breathingly mental) safety car.

J0N – the whole car looks intentionally dated! It is supposed to evoke the original gull-wing car above.
    __

Alonso is by some margin still the best driver on the grid, imo. To characterise him as a rattle-thrower on the basis of a few events in one season, the details of which we will never know, is absurd. Without the political nonsense and cashing-in on Hamilton's Golden Boy/Tiger Woods of F1 image he would be 3XWDC at least by now.

atlaz
    Free Member

The "political nonsense" was partially of his making, insisting that he get number 1 status despite the fact McLaren are well publicised as not playing favourites even if it costs them points/titles (see Senna/Prost). Then after his hissy-fit (played out in public I should add), he decided he was going to take himself back to Renault where he enjoyed guaranteed #1 billing.

Irrespective of whether Hamilton was the shining boy, Alonso could have represented himself a lot better by being stoic than being a whiny bitch about the situation he KNEW he was getting himself into.

glenp
    Free Member

McLaren have a reputation for claiming they give equal status, but actually doing the opposite. Coulthard has described how Ron Dennis described his side of the garage as "them" and Mikka's as "us". Senna had special engines from Honda and Prost's ire was partially due to not getting a fair crack. McLaren are controlling and secrative – I can only hope the culture is better now that RD has gone, for Jenson Button's sake.

Aonso did go there expecting No 1 status, quite rightly. Had he been treated with the respect he deserved it would have all been a massive success. He would have gotten the Championship and Lewis would still have had the best rookie year ever.

tracknicko
    Free Member

but moto gp isnt as good as world, (or potentially even british) superbikes.

oh yeh i did…

Strangelove
    Free Member

To characterise him as a rattle-thrower on the basis of a few events in one season, the details of which we will never know, is absurd

But it wasnt just one season. Before he moved to McLaren he whined that the Renualt team and Fischella in particular were not doing enough to support him.

glenp
    Free Member

Whined? He dragged Renault up and got them two Championships. If did what he needed to do in order to achieve that, then that is a good thing, not a bad one. Massive quantities of self-belief and focus are needed just to survive in F1, let alone rise to the top and stay there. McLaren were mad to fail to embrace this high level of focus that he brought with him, because it is the difference between winner and runner up. In fact, they did obviously acknowledge that quality, but they decided that Hamilton had enough of it himself and had other plusses too – such as being home-grown and (probably) long-term loyal.

the-muffin-man

Had he been treated with the respect he deserved it would have all been a massive success.

Had he comprehensively blown away his team mate he might have got this treatment – but he didn't, he was matched and often bettered by a rookie.

rkk01
    Free Member

It sounds like a spitfire

Don't you mean a Messerschmitt?

That would be more like it. MBs normally have that distinctive supercharger whine.

In terms of dullness stakes…

F1 > MotoGP > IoM TT

glenp
    Free Member

Agree he should have done better against a rookie. LH got a great start – several other drivers admitted that they went a bit too easy on him because it took them by surprise. FA was on the back foot a little bit from the word go, and then his status in the team began to wane and his performance suffered a bit (which should not happen to someone like him, but did). Monaco was the start of the proper rot – there is a circuit where the team absolutely must be tough and clear with their orders because the slightest error costs everything. I think just at the point where Alonso needed the team to reassert their support of their number one driver they actually started to throw their support behind Lewis because they could see that the most amazing dream could possibly come true. Alonso failed to lift his black mood and went on to make several very bad mistakes (Canada was terrible).

I don't think the above is a particularly biased recalling of events, and it certainly doesn't add up to Alonso being a whinger or rattle-thrower. Anyhow, he is a couple of days away from starting to pick up the pieces and get his title back.

ruminant
    Free Member

Muffin man

let me know the league details, im in

the-muffin-man

We just need to think of a league name!

How about Singletrackroad F1

…I'm not very good at witty names so suggestions welcome!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Best sounding car at a Grand Prix weekend.

Damn straight, awesome sound!

ruminant
    Free Member

aye or

gearedforf1

or

stwf1possee

forget the last one 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘OT: 2010 F1 Safety Car’ is closed to new replies.