Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Osprey Raptor
  • hammerite
    Free Member

Been looking for a new bag and think I’ve settled in the Osprey Raptor. I currently squeeze everything in to a 5l bag so think I probably only need a 10l Raptor. However, the price of the 14l is practically the same, I just don’t think I’d fill it very often.

Does anyone use the 14l and if so do they find everything inside stays put without rattling around when not fully packed?

NCC

Yes. Compression straps on the 14l one tighten everything down nicely. Use mine from stuffed to bursting point on big trips, to bare essentials one short blasts. Best packs I’ve used.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure my bigger pack is the raptor 14, *nope just checked it’s the viper13* it has pull in straps so it can hold well and a lot of pockets, too many pockets if anything, I only use it on full day rides when I’m on a train , so I can take sandwiches, spare top, jacket and more tools, spare chain etc,

10 litre would be better for a 2-3 hour ride , I use an evoc cc 6L that can fit plenty

Might be worth considering the evoc cc 6 litre down to £40 on Merlin incl 2L bladder
    https://www.merlincycles.com/evoc-cc-team-6l-hyrdration-pack-with-2l-bladder-95775.html
    I just got the 3L evoc for £25, for night rides when I don’t need the water so can carry basics on top

Tracey

Got both the 10 and the 14. Got the 14 for all day rides, haven’t used the 10 since I got the 14 as I just tighten the straps.

Alphabet

I’ve recently bought the 14l version and echo what the others have said. Brilliant pack although I haven’t tried to fit an slr in it yet.

poolman
    Free Member

I have a raptor 14 and use it mainly for walking now. As above use the straps and more space for snacks. A few nice pockets too which I am not sure are on the 10, the little phone sized pocket on top and the little one at the bottom.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Had a Rapter – now on a Skyline

theboyneeds
    Free Member

I’ve got a 14l and it’s not a spacious as you think. After you’ve got a litre or two in the bladder, filled the tool pocket up with a tube, stashed first aid, nibbles, phone, wallet, and tools there’s not a lot of room left for jacket or extra layer.

But then it has been suggested I carry too much. I probably don’t need the fire steel and lint.

bonesetter
    Free Member

^ needy – good point

The 10l Camblebak seems to fit everything in I planned to get in the 14l Osprey

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Osprey – Great packs, great people.

Packs – Back a few years ago, after they had just launched the first bike specific packs, I was in the bike industry. They asked several of us, not as industry people, but as riders, what we would change/add/improve for the next ones. They listened, and the packs got better as a result. Excellent.

People – Way back when, the company started getting big. Mike Pfotenhauer, the founder/owner, realised he’d need to get things made in bulk if they were going to be able to continue to grow. Outsourcing? Not really, no. He took on the old GoreTex factory, giving back jobs, including lots of Navajo. Move on a little, and they needed to move production overseas. Outsourcing? Again, no. Mike, and his family, relocated to Vietnam to make sure things were done right. The factory has education, child care, etc.

They’re a great company. Successful, but doing it right. Mike Pfotenhauer is still at the helm, 40 years on.

Great packs, great people.

hammerite
    Free Member

Thanks all. Much appreciated.

Theboyneeds – I just about squeeze all that in to my 5l bag. Although the bladder on it is tiny and my jacket is just a really light wind proof.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Osprey Raptor’ is closed to new replies.