Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Osprey Back Packs – Anyone got one?
  • Potdog
    Free Member

I’m looking for a new pack and like the look of the Osprey Raptor, especially since there is now a stockist here. But, before I splash any cash I’d be interested to hear from any owners out there as to how durable they are. I need something that’s going to last pretty well with almost daily use.

Only other pack of interest so far is the Dakine Apex, but no stockists here so I can’t take a proper look at one.

STATO
    Free Member

Got a talon 33 as an general use and camping pack, pretty annoying to use as its all floppy and what with all the masses of straps and buckles. But as soon as you put it on, all is forgiven, comfiest pack ive owned. Durability wise it seems spot on, put a small hold in the elastic outer pocket but that was with something sharp and pointy so not surprising. Not sure how well it would survive under repeated beating of crashes and stuff, but it the construction seems pretty solid.

vondally
    Free Member

have the talon 33 very good but i did not get on with the 22 version, however daughter loves it> light durable and well made, the 22 has been hammered via trekking, gap year, working in ‘camp’ with young disabled people who seemed to use it as a pull along/aid to getting up and general mtb abuse. My talon 33 has been used for walking/trekking and is still sound.
    Try before you but personally for mtn biking i like
    ergon bd 1

dyls

I’ve got a couple of Osprey talons (for hiking and light camping), the 22 and 44 and they’ve been excellent up to now. Havent had them long enough to comment on durability though. Wouldn’t hesitiate to buy one.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’ve got the 11lt one and also the 22lt one.

Pretty spot on IMHO.

Great on and off the bike,

Far, far more comfortable than a camelbak, again IMO.

If yer near Cheshire, then yer welcome to borrow either to try out.

jamesca
    Free Member

i have a day pack, can’t remember the name of it but it’s very well made and comes with a lifetime warrenty, which it says is lifetime and not just the expoected lifetime of the product. can’t tell you if they actually honour that

aa
    Free Member

I have a helios 14. Build wise its awesome BUT it’s a wierd shape in that it narrows in the middle so you cant use all of the space at the bottom, a couple of mates who have the newer hydration packs complain of a similar thing.

snowpaul
    Free Member

I have a raptor 11 / talon 33 / stratos 26 / switch – i love osprey packs – I am bit of a rucksack whore – use for biking / hiking . snowsports etc – I have lots of different branded ones etc and osprey is on top of my list…

– light / well made / comfy – only prob is on the raptor it has silly elastic pockets vs a decent zip… minor niggle…

my friend has a manta and an escapist mtb one – they seem superb too

would recomend
    paul

Potdog
    Free Member

@Teetosugars, thanks for the offer, but nowhere near Cheshire. In fact thats half the problem. Living on a little island means that choice to go out and try things on is limited. I hate mail ordering stuff and having to return it later.

LBS only stocks Deuter which is what I have right now, but all the current models have the same crappy access through a relatively small top / front opening. The Osprey Raptor seems to have a good sized front opening which opens right up so that you can get to what you want without having to just about empty the whole pack! Same on the Dakine, but as I said, no stockists here so would be a mail order job.

Really sounding like the Osprey pack would be the right choice.

Bregante

I had a Dakine Apex and it is a really nice, well made pack but it’s very heavy. I ended up selling mine and got a camelbak mule nv but the Osprey ones do look good.

rudedog
    Free Member

I’ve got the 18l osprey raptor and love it. Really comfy and the compression straps means you can reduce its size to about a normal 6-8L pack if need be. Also, the bladder is one of the best I’ve come across – it has a hard insert so it doesn’t barrel when full and no taste of plastic.

Its a really well made piece of kit – the only thing it lacks is a waterproof cover but you can get those cheap from alpkit.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I also have a Raptor and am very impressed. The magnet on the drinking hose may seem a little of a gimmick at first, but it really works!

Also, the bladder is sooooo much better than a Camelback, not only in terms of being able to put it back in to a full pack when refilling it without having that struggle of jamming it in, but also because it’s simply so easy to open. Why Camelback persist with that horrible opening is beyond me, even with strong hands you can often hardly get the thing to turn! Also the Osprey seems better sealed than Camelback. Only criticism? It’s a little heavy, but then am happy to take that for the added comfort and better function.

robgarrioch

Some earlier opinions on the Raptor here, Potdog.

bazzer
    Free Member

I have an osprey Switch 26 for skiing and its great. Very versatile with helmet pocket and easy access lap strap pocket. It also has dry wet compartments. Nice bag and fits well as it comes in 3 different lengths depending on how long your back is.

Only criticism with it is as I drink from the bladder and the volume drops I have to re tighten the straps. Don’t have to do that on the wingnut I use on the bike.

Sandwich

Used a Talon 33 for work when I was commuting. Building sites and concrete dust exposure, with a load of mobile office kit. Very comfy though the straps were a bit flappy. The arcteryx pack I bought for ice climbing came unstitched on it’s first use on the shoulder strap.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’ve got a 30ish litre Osprey – can’t remember the name. Not a bike specific pack, but I use it for guiding when I need to carry more crap. Really good – way more comfortable and stable than my Dakine Nomad. Dead easy to get the bladder in and out too – its a special one with a stiffened panel, so it doens’t “barrel” against your back.

Good kit.

FuzzyWuzzy

I have a Raptor 18 and it’s really good unless you over-stuff it, at which point the hard shell back seems to focus all the weight between your shoulders and it’s not very comfy. I didn’t used to have that issue with an over-stuffed Camelbak. I’d still buy another one though but would just be careful with the model capacity I bought.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Some of my mates have them, they look overpriced to me…

Deuter make amazing bags, and I love my Berghaus Mach 7+4 clicky. The Berg is a compact, lightweight waterproof rucksack that expands from 7-11 litres with a zip. It has 2 bladder sleeves, a mesh helmet holder which can also take a large jacket, bag of spuds, parcels….I use it all the time, not just for riding. It’s just the right size for mtb. That big waist strap in the pic is removable, another skinny one is included which works great.

Mines dying so I’m thinking about getting an identical replacement, I think that highly of it!

They do an 18l too.

twinklydave

I’ve got a Raptor. It’s decent enough and the build quality can’t be faulted. There’s a surprising amount of room for something that’s not designed as a massive rucksak…

…but, if using the supplied, hard backed bladder (which is nice in itself, as is the ease of fitting/removing, even when the bag’s full) for a long ride, the combination of rigid bladder and texture of the back of the bag rubs quite a lot – I’ve ended up with a sore back/spine from it!

Never had that problem with any other alternative (camelbak etc) 😕

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have only used my Apex skiing, and it fits a shovel and probe quite nicely. When using it to travel as hand luggage it fits a netbook or Dell D430 in the bladder pocket.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Osprey Back Packs – Anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.