Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Osmo top oil application on new worktop
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

New worktops are being delivered today, joiner coming on Thursday to fit them.

I’m going to oil the underneath of them over the next few nights, let the joiner fit them then oil the tops.

So, is that a good plan? how many coats? what method to apply it?

The tin says 3 coats with a cloth but their site says 2 coats with a brush? 😕

nickjb
    Free Member

I used two cloths. One to apply and one to wipe off after a minute or so. Put the clothes in a zip lock bag after application and you can use them again the next day. I did both sides before fitting as it is much easier. Don’t forget the edges. You should be able to do one coat in the morning, one in the evening. I don’t think you can over do it and it doesn’t take long.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Good plan with the morning coats, I’ll do that.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Oh, do I need to sand between coats? I assume not.

nickjb
    Free Member

No need to sand. Also grab some of those free plastic gloves at the petrol station. Makes applying it much nicer.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Personally, I’d apply with a brush (good quality synthetic bristle) and wipe off the excess with a cloth.

This stuff is good for the wipe-off:

Stockinette Roll (Toolstation sell it)

bigsurfer
    Free Member

I apply with a brush to an even thin coat and take all the excess off with a cloth that wont give of bits after an hour. If you give it a good going over / polish with a cloth as it drys it helps the level of sheen, only necessary for the top / final coat. The osmo oils are excellent. Definitely no need to sand between coats.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Just took delivery of my Wood Protector and Top Oil this morning so the rest of my week will be spent like yours.

I decided on brush application for the Wood Protector and then cloth for the Top Oil.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I’m not sure if this applies with Osmo, but if you use a cotton cloth to apply some oils then the cloth can spontaneously combust if left folded/scrumpled.
    Similar to charging a chinese battery…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Osmo top oil application on new worktop’ is closed to new replies.