Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Osmand – Android navigation app
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

Anyone use this and have any reports on how good it is, i.e. will I die?

I am thinking of giving it a spin this weekend for this: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/north-london-to-oxford-decent-bike-route

It looks quite decent, have downloaded the maps I need and certainly seems to do all the expected moves in terms of finding and routing to my destination. Anyone got any “in the field” reports? Wondering about things like screen rotation / dimming / sound / battery life and that sort of thing.

If it seems like a goer, I’m thinking a top tube mounted bag with a clear top for the phone will be the best option…

theflatboy
    Free Member

Bump just in case…

GrahamS

Not used it – but a point about battery life: if you’re sticking it in a top tube bag then you could also slip in an external battery pack.

That’s what I do on long rides: bar mounted phone with battery pack in a tri-bag.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Good thinking, the same thing occurred to me. Not sure I’ll be able to pick one up before the weekend, so may just have to chance it and ride fast!

theflatboy
    Free Member

Ok, bag ordered – I’m going to go for it! Fingers crossed… May well get a battery backup for it, as don’t really want to run out of battery somewhere halfway to Oxford!

neilnevill
    Free Member

Naval free is another free satnav that saves maps to the phone. I’ve not used either much though…. Tend to just use Google

theflatboy
    Free Member

Cheers. Reckon I’ll see how Osmand goes and report back. I’m hopeful that it won’t be a disaster…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Osmand – Android navigation app’ is closed to new replies.