Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Oslo / Bergen must see
  • allyharp

This weekend I’ve got a day in Oslo, followed by 2 in Bergen. Got some ideas already, but what’s a must in your collective opinion?

dave360

**** all. Olso is dull dull dull and Bergen is a dreary depressing overpriced dump. Bloody freezing and rains all the time. Kill yourself now.

hatter
    oddjob
    Free Member

dave360 – you sound like another brit->scandinavia transplant!
    Oslo is dull – go up ont eh opera house roof and take a walk around.
    Haven’t been to Bergen, but there must be some nice hiking and sight seeing to be had without spending too much!

Be very thankful that it’s the summer 8)

marcus7
    Free Member

Been a couple of times and thought it was OK, but it was in the winter and snow covered a lot of it!, I was working so didnt see that much but i did try some of that fermented fish stuff and that was amazingly nasty!. not much help other than that! 🙂

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I really liked Oslo when I visited but had the advantage of cracking weather in July. I can easily imagine the winters are pretty dire. It’s in a stunning location though and the area around the waterside is lovely for a wander and bite to eat (but pricy).

Boat trip out to the fjord is worth doing and I really liked the Viking Ship museum (Vikingskipshuset). There was a really excellent seafood restaurant which we went to nearby which I can’t for the life of me remember the name of.

chillidave
    Free Member

Well I like Olso more than a lot of people on here it seems. there are some good museums hidden away and with only a day there this is well worth spending a few hours on.

camo16
    Free Member

Lots to do in Bergen.

Boat trips, sea kayaking, hiking the seven mountains, biking… the train ride to Voss is a good day out. There’s plenty of cultural stuff to do, but the country outside the town is better IMO.

bajsyckel

While Oslo isn’t very exciting I quite like the place. If you’re into architecture or music (or just interesting buildings that you can walk around and on) then Snøhetta’s Opera house in Oslo is pretty good. DogA sometimes has good art/ architecture/ design exhibitions and events on. If you are properly into architecture, then Sverre Fehn’s extension to the Nationalmuseet (national museum) is a real gem. Otherwise some OK museums, the parks are nice, the swimming good (in summer – in winter xc skiing), eating and drinking expensive. Grünerløkka area probably most interesting for the latter in my limited experience (usually hanging around at friends and eating/ drinking in is much cheaper).

allyharp

I’ll be spending the 2 nights in the middle in Flåm so will be doing plenty of the mountains stuff there. Mostly biking and a bit of Kayaking I think. I booked an extra night in Bergen after realising I’d only be there from 9pm to 3pm. Sounds like I needn’t have bothered!

allyharp

Edit: Hiking, not biking in Flåm. Although I do plan on investigating bike hire for a ride down the Rallervegan.

johndoh
    Free Member

Don’t forget to take all the money you have. Every penny.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

There is a great folk museum a shrt ferry ride from downtown Oslo. They transplanted lots of wooden buildings and reassembled them. I loved it. Check out the water powered sawmill.

I’ve got some work in the Museum of Modern Art in Oslo. In my unbiased view, its an awesome collection.

camo16
    Free Member

mcmoonter, that’s the Norwegian Museum of Cultural History, on Bygdøy. Same area as the Viking Ship Museum, which is also worth a visit. Plus, nice beaches there if the weather’s good.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve been to Bergen, whilst doing a Norwegian inter-rail type trip. I sat on the harbour eating bread and butter, listening to the pinging of boat rigging against masts, and looking at the wooden houses up the hillside and the forest above them disappearing into the clouds.

I was in no hurry to stop doing that 🙂

mugsys_m8

Visit Nansen’s Fran and the Kontiki museum

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Oslo / Bergen must see’ is closed to new replies.