Viewing 40 posts - 4,041 through 4,080 (of 12,715 total)
  • Osbourne says no to currency union.
  • bencooper
    Free Member

Okay, I give up – what does DO stand for?

(I know it’s Alex Salmond, I just can’t work out the acronym)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Is that Arnie McShortnegger ? ^^

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Okay, I give up – what does DO stand for?

I’m afraid you don’t have need-to-know clearance.

bencooper
    Free Member

I don’t really have want-to-know clearance either 😉

Northwind

Technoviking says vote yes!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Fair enough, I will let you keep guessing (it’s very obvious, what is the first word that springs to mind with our friend? ).

Thanks for the posts today though, they were a laugh. Prefer the more straight one of the crane on the other thread though, I had forgotten about your alter ego. That scared me too!

bencooper
    Free Member

Was that on the Edinburgh march? There was a bloke doing the call-and-return thing:

“What do we want?”
    “Independence!”
    “When do we want it?”
    “Now!”

I felt like shouting “in about 18 months, after a properly organised referendum!” But figured that wasn’t quite in the spirit of the event 😀

bencooper
    Free Member

I really need to get back to doing more of that silly stuff – life is too boring with work and family, that’s why I have to come on here and argue with you 🙂

athgray
    Free Member

Ernie. I am supposed to feel guilty enough as it is for voting no. I don’t need god against me as well.
    ben, I think you don’t mind. This is they way you want to portray no voters. If anything they probably help your cause, especially if it is an orange march. It appears as a way of linking voting no to fascism. Like puting a Hitler tache on Salmond. The sort of thing that nationalists say is nonsense and does not help the debate. Your photo adds very little.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Much safer!

Didn’t you post all those photos of derelict buildings before?

bencooper
    Free Member

Yes, I used to do lots of that kind of thing, haven’t for ages…

epicyclo

teamhurtmore – Member
    Didn’t you post all those photos of derelict buildings before?

He’s switched to pics of syncopated marching derelict minds… 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Technoviking says vote yes!

😆
    duckman

Isn’t that Ben? In all honesty if I looked that that I would spend as much time as possible with my top off. (Tats excepted)

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Hey, I know Techno-viking! He’s a very nice guy, very friendly!

piemonster

Hey, I know Techno-viking! He’s a very nice guy, very friendly!

Techno-Vikings always are.

It’s those bloody Emo-Vikings I can’t stand.

konabunny
    Free Member

It is, I believe, an Orange Order march – a group for which the phrase “ignorant f***wits” could have been invented.

I don’t know why you’re being so snooty about one of the oldest community groups in Scotland. I thought you were in favour of authentic Scots having a stronger voice in their destiny.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Kona, dont forget that there is a strong totalitarian/suppress dissent element not far under the surface of many yS supporters. Just look at the leader.

The bloke in the hi viz jacket needs some help with colour co-ordination though. Quite an outfit!

bencooper
    Free Member

I don’t know why you’re being so snooty about one of the oldest community groups in Scotland

Have you met any Orange Order people? There are fewer of them in Glasgow than there used to be, but it’s the most bigoted, small-minded, ignorant organisation you could imagine. Most of them even have no idea what history they’re “celebrating”, it’s just a way to attack Catholics.

epicyclo

bencooper – Member
    Have you met any Orange Order people? There are fewer of them in Glasgow than there used to be, but it’s the most bigoted, small-minded, ignorant organisation you could imagine. Most of them even have no idea what history they’re “celebrating”, it’s just a way to attack Catholics.

A bunch of archaic sectarian hate peddlers with roots in NI, not truly Scottish IMO.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Have you met any Orange Order yS people? There are fewer of them in Glasgow than there used to be, but it’s the most bigoted, small-minded, ignorant organisation you could imagine [ok that’s ridiculously harsh!!]. Most of them even have no idea what history independence they’re “celebrating advocating”, it’s just a way to attack Catholics English Tories and their Labour, Lib-Dem sycophants.

HTH / FTFY 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

Oh my aching sides.

dont forget that there is a strong totalitarian/suppress dissent element not far under the surface of many yS supporters. Just look at the leader.

Thank God you dont do the outlandish lies you accuse AS of – you have gone beyond tabloid now with your smears. You would be apoplectic with abbreviations if AS did this
    How can you not see this?

bencooper
    Free Member

HTH / FTFY

Not really 😉

It’s not about you, honestly, it’s about us.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

bencooper – Member
    It’s not about you, honestly, it’s about us.

And the English are accused of being arrogant and selfish? Ben, the implications of the vote extent well beyond “you” even if the DO stops making irresponsible threats. I appreciate that is often forgotten but that doesn’t make it any less true.

duckman

Because AS is the only person making “irresponsible threats” Oh I forgot,better together is “pretty tame” ( love their latest no voter comparing the possibility of a yes vote to the partition of India) Oh;and it is about us,WE are making the decision not you. I am sure if the boot was on the other foot you and all the rest of the little Englanders would be really looking at any implications for Scotland.

Northwind

What’s the latest “irresponsible threat” then… Is it still the one about not letting EU fishing boats fish in our waters if we’re not in the EU, on account of they’ll have absolutely no right to and the only reason they can do it now is because we’re EU members?

TBH it’s hard to keep track of what’s an “irresponsible threat” or not now, since that particular wolf gets cried everytime you state the bleedin obvious.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    TBH it’s hard to keep track of what’s an “irresponsible threat” or not now

C’mon NW, it’s a lot but not THAT many.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

WE are making the decision not you.

Actually that’s not strictly true. The UK Government agreed to give the Scottish Parliament specific powers to hold a referendum. But actual independence will require the approval of the UK government. Obviously it’s not going to refuse it if the referendum clearly shows a majority supporting independence and all legal requirements are fulfilled. But unless Scotland declares UDI that’s how it’s going to be.

bencooper
    Free Member

And the English are accused of being arrogant and selfish? Ben, the implications of the vote extent well beyond “you” even if the DO stops making irresponsible threats.

I still haven’t worked out what DO stands for. Anyhow, if it’s arrogant and selfish to want self-determination then fine, I’m arrogant and selfish.

The currency union thing wasn’t an irresponsible threat? The EU block wasn’t an arrogant threat? The border controls idea wasn’t an arrogant threat?

The trouble is whatever the No side says is a sensible statement of fact comes across as a threat to the Yes side, and vice versa.

konabunny
    Free Member

Have you met any Orange Order people?

I’m related to half of Fermanagh and East Kilbride, so yes, and they’re loopy.

I just find it funny that you, as someone who believes the Scots have different values to the British and that those values will result in a better Scotland once independent, are faced with such cognitive dissonance when confronted with a bunch of Scots with such strong values. I think this might actually be the best possible demonstration of the “no true Scotsman” fallacy.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The currency union thing wasn’t an irresponsible threat?

There isn’t going to be currency union, that’s a fact not a threat. As stated in the OP 117 pages ago. Although you choose not to believe it, or at least claim not to believe – I suspect that you probably do.

BTW I believe that DO is the Deceitful One. Silly name calling appears to be is very fashionable on here.

bencooper
    Free Member

I don’t just believe that Scots have different values to the rest of the UK – it’s an electoral fact. How many Tory MPs are there in Scotland? How many UKIP councillors?

However Scotland has it’s share of bigoted idiots too – the sectarian problem is a big one, and my worry is that no-one’s really assessing it’s impact on the referendum.

I’m not sure what the “No true Scotsman” fallacy is. I’m first-generation Scottish, with English-born father and partner. They’re both voting Yes, by the way, as is my English-born father-in-law.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m related to half of Fermanagh and East Kilbride

There’s some serious inbreeding going on there. No wonder they’re all apparently a bit loopy.

bencooper
    Free Member

There isn’t going to be currency union, that’s a fact not a threat. As stated in the OP 117 pages ago. Although you choose not to believe it, or at least claim not to believe – I suspect that you probably do.

Facts are things like “Edinburgh is North of London” – the currency union stance is a negotiating position.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

the currency union stance is a negotiating position.

It isn’t. It might be if both sides wanted to negotiate. But that isn’t the situation.

gordimhor

Coalition source says yes might not mean yes.
    Baroness Jay Independence will not automatically follow yes vote

Obviously it’s not going to refuse it if the referendum clearly shows a majority supporting independence and all legal requirements are fulfilled.

I hope you’re right Ernie

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

DO is a far more accurate description than bullies, buffers and blusterers that the DO uses with gay abandon when pressed.

Oxford Economics will be the next one to get the three BS barrel – “taxes and borrowing costs will rise and spending will fall” – why won’t people stay on script? That’s not what it says in the BoD and that’s gospel surely?

Edit, sorry that’s as new news as the herald saying its pro-independence 😳

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Your first link doesn’t work gordimhor and I’m not sure of the point of the second one.

The referendum is to establish the wishes of the people of Scotland, a yes vote will not be a declaration of independence. Independence will be a process that follows, and has to be granted. Unless as I say the Scottish Parliament declares UDI. Which is obviously not going to happen.

So yeah, what’s new ?

gordimhor

Edinburgh Evening News on the same story

SCOTLAND may not get independence even if the Yes campaign wins the referendum, it was claimed today.

An unnamed senior colleague of Prime Minister David Cameron was quoted saying a Yes vote would not guarantee independence if negotiations between Edinburgh and London could not be completed satisfactorily, adding that the status quo would be “the default option”.

First Minister Alex Salmond dismissed the comments as breathtaking, irresponsible and contemptuous of the democratic process in Scotland.
    The point of the second article is that Baroness Jay appears to be saying that the referendum result can be ignored or over ruled if the rUk government is not happy with any negotiations or that the date of independence couldbe delayed indefinitely.
    Perhaps she is completely out of step with the rest of the House of Lords , I hope so.

aracer
    Free Member

You do realise that all they’re doing there is explaining what it says in the Edinburgh Agreement, as I’ve already mentioned several times on this thread. Despite popular opinion otherwise, AS doesn’t get everything he asks for in the independence negotiations even if you vote yes – independence only happens if an agreement can be reached which doesn’t disadvantage rUK. Clearly Sir BS of Eck hasn’t actually read the Edinburgh Agreement.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,041 through 4,080 (of 12,715 total)

The topic ‘Osbourne says no to currency union.’ is closed to new replies.