Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 147 total)
  • OS Maps Mobile (& web) launched Yesterday.
  • ninfan
    Free Member

Am I being daft? Which app?

I can only find the online mapping (ie. Via browser) that I’ve subscribed to and been using for a couple of weeks (and keeps logging me out of requiring address and password, really annoying!)

cinnamon_girl
    ninfan
    Free Member

Yes, that’s the one I’ve been using – can’t find anything on the App Store.

scotroutes

Go into Play Store and look for OS Maps

spacemonkey

FTR, the Sign Up option doesn’t work on Android (not on my Nexus 5 anyway) – it just refreshes to the Log In page.

mactheknife

Ok, bit lost here.I am a fully paid up subscriber to Get a map and now OS maps. I have downloaded the app but cannot find any way of signing into my account on android.

I will admit i am a bit slow but i am not usually this bad 🙂

jbrom
    Free Member

I downloaded the app on my phone (Android Lollipop), and I think it is a big improvement.

It is a pity however that the huge amount of money I have invested in OS paper maps over the years is not covered by the new arrangement of receiving a digital copy when you buy a map.

Unfortunately I had to remove the app from my phone as it wiped all app associations (for example the phone tried to open emails and word docs using OS maps) but it was not listed as a default app in settings, so was unable to remove the associations. The only way to fix was to remove the app.

Shame

paladin

Is this app different again from OSmapfinder where you would buy map tiles?

timmys

Is this app different again from OSmapfinder where you would buy map tiles?

Same question. I’m dumb. I’ve been merrily buying tiles on OS Map Finder for iOS recently as that was Ordnance Surveys official app offering. Are maps I bought not transferable in anyway to the new hotness?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Again, for the technology biffs (me) if I download the app in App Store (there are 2 os apps?) and pay the annual get a map subscription, I can download whichever map I like to my mobile?.

BadlyWiredDog

Again, for the technology biffs (me) if I download the app in App Store (there are 2 os apps?) and pay the annual get a map subscription, I can download whichever map I like to my mobile?.

I don’t think so. I think it only gives you access to the map while you’re online but doesn’t cache it on your device. But I may be wrong. If you buy a new 1:25,000 paper map and download the digital version however, it will cache it.

thenorthwind

So… all the money I’ve spent buying various packs and tiles in Viewranger over the past couple of years – is that money wasted?

I kind of knew it would be eventually, but it’s still a kick in the teeth when it happens.

jam-bo

They still work in viewranger though? From what I can see so far viewranger is a much more capable app.

dknwhy

I’ve downloaded the app and signed up for the £17.95 yearly sub. I think it’s a worthwhile investment.
    I use viewranger too and think that it is a great app but the paper map printing option in viewranger is rubbish and so blurry that you can’t actually use the maps.
    Bit gutted as I wasted another £7ish on view ranger credits this week but it’s only money 🙂

luketracey

I’ve been merrily buying tiles on OS Map Finder for iOS recently as that was Ordnance Surveys official app offering. Are maps I bought not transferable in anyway to the new hotness?

^Is their an answer to this please?

dknwhy

How do you save the maps for offline use?

BadlyWiredDog

Well, looking at the new map, there doesn’t seem to be any obvious way of importing tiles purchased through the previous app. It all seems pretty basic – you can’t, as far as I can see, import or export GPS files and there’s no cloud-based file sharing to the OS web-based OS Maps.

I guess it’ll be fine for very basic nav use, but less so if you want something more fully featured.

plyphon
    Free Member

I didn’t think OS received in any tax income since 1999?

Not only that, but we operate at a profit, so actually give back to UK Gov.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Downloaded the iOS app, have tested the map save for offline use. Web version working smoothly too with the exception of gpx import.

As for loading previously bought map tiles I don’t think that is available as the new app is a subscription service covering the whole country

Nice work OP and definitely worth the subscription IMO

plyphon
    Free Member

Hi Guys,

A lot of these questions regarding importing previously bought maps from Get-A-Map i’m sure HAS been considered, but I don’t have the answers myself without going charging round the building finding the correct guys.

HOWEVER.

We do have an EXCELLENT customer service team who have all the answers with this stuff. If you drop them an email they usually reply within hours, not days.

scotroutes

Can my digital maps link to an OS Maps account?
    The app uses the same login details as your OS Maps account, but the first version does not automatically share routes from the app to the desktop version. We are looking to add this in future releases.

plyphon
    Free Member

How do you save the maps for offline use?

In the native app (iOS/Android), hit Menu, hit “Download offline maps”

timmys

A lot of these questions regarding importing previously bought maps from Get-A-Map i’m sure HAS been considered, but I don’t have the answers myself without going charging round the building finding the correct guys.

Is Get-A-Map the same as OS Map Finder (the iOS app I have been buying maps for)? The FAQ talks about getamap but nothing about OS Map Finder. It all seems rather bloody confusing to the customer!

thecaptain
    Free Member

Am I the only one who doesn’t really see the point? I have all national park areas in 1:50,000 off-line for ten quid (in the outdoors GB app), ok I’m lucky that I live in one. Can buy additional areas for a price, not too unreasonable but I’ve not needed to.

This OS app gives me the option to download maps only if I actually buy the paper version first, which costs far more than any of the normal electronic apps charge. Or is there something I’m missing? I’m sure most outdoors types already have a fair stash of paper maps and won’t be looking to buy them all again at huge expense just to get the electronic version.

plyphon
    Free Member

Or is there something I’m missing?

You pay a subscription and get the whole of the UK instantly, no paper code required.

jambalaya
    Free Member

thecaptain, I am a map geek. Have many maps and generally buy one for anywhere I visit. I have GetaMap / OSMaps too as any map I want is available online in the office for that all important lunchtime browsing and dreaming of the countryside. It’s good value at £18 a year and I am supporting OS. Getting the iOS app too for no extra cost is a bargain. I’ve been using the beta test version a lot and I like the fact I can pull out the phone and know exactly where I am on an OS map pretty much immediately.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

So for £18 a year I can have all of the UK in 1:25000, and the ability to download maps for offline use?.

josemctavish
    Free Member

I subscribed a few weeks back as I thought it was a decent deal and the app is exactly what I was hoping would be added. The app is pretty slick, works well and the offline download makes it a winner for me. Couple of questions/suggestions:

Does the app display in landscape on the iPhone? It would be useful when specifying map areas for download.

Would it be possible in future to download offline map areas according to a saved route you can select? If you could select the width of map download along either side of that route, it would be great!

jambalaya
    Free Member

So for £18 a year I can have all of the UK in 1:25000, and the ability to download maps for offline use?.

Yes.

Would it be possible in future to download offline map areas according to a saved route you can select? If you could select the width of map download along either side of that route, it would be great!

Based on my limited playing the download is for the visible screen so you scroll out to get the whole route then “save” and you can scroll back in as required. This uses more memory than your idea of a route plus margin idea but I suspect that might be complicated to implement.

dknwhy

I can’t find the “save map” feature in the menu.

I’m an android user. Can view the maps but when I go to menu I don’t have the option to save it.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Is there anyway to get any of the Memory Map maps that I’ve bought over the years onto the new app?

Having already paid for both paper and electronic copies of the maps I’ve no intention of paying an annual fee to be able to continue to use the data I’ve already paid for.

As an aside, if I was OS I wouldn’t be crowing about returning money to the public , given that you’re only achieving that by reselling a product that was paid for by the public in the first place. Maybe you should be cutting charges so you break even?

plyphon
    Free Member

Oh yeh I guess at somepoint I should say I’m not representing the OS in any capacity here, just sharing a great iOS app 8)

And 1:50k!

thepodge
    Free Member

paulrockliffe – Is there anyway to get any of the Memory Map maps that I’ve bought over the years onto the new app?

MMTracker (android), its not in Google play but you should be able to find it easy enough

Miguelo

dknwhy-I can’t find the “save map” feature in the menu.
    I’m an android user. Can view the maps but when I go to menu I don’t have the option to save it.

Same problem for me. Get a map subscriber but can’t save maps from the new app.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Oh, ok, that makes more sense. Odd that the subscription isn’t mentioned anywhere in the app, that I can see. A bit disappointing that it costs 18 quid when the same subscription deal seems to only cost 10 quid in the app I already use!

plyphon
    Free Member

Blog post on our new mapping & mapping apps.

Here’s a post from the blog that explains it all a bit better than me.

As I said before, this is the very first release of this application, there is a lot of awesome stuff coming in the future!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

FYI – I installed to have a look. Then unistalled it as my device is now asking me if I want to open EVERYTHING in the app. This is on Android and it’s where you click a link or shortcut in the OS that can be directed at one of several apps, eg a new email link on the lock screen.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Cheers for the MMTracker idea, will get onto that.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As an aside, if I was OS I wouldn’t be crowing about returning money to the public , given that you’re only achieving that by reselling a product that was paid for by the public in the first place. Maybe you should be cutting charges so you break even?

Oh come it’s Friday lighten up 8) Also you’ve paid for a licence to use the map data in Memory Map, who knows how much of that actually finds it’s way to the OS

I like the fact the Ordnance Survey was done so that the artillery had better information for shelling stuff – boom boom !. Now we just amble and potter about using the data. Same story for Admiralty charts.

plyphon
    Free Member

Yup, and one day we will save you all from the zombie apocalypse.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 147 total)

The topic ‘OS Maps Mobile (& web) launched Yesterday.’ is closed to new replies.