Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • OS Map/ Route Planner on Iphone
  • Jammy111
    Free Member

Anyone know of any good apps that let you mark a route on a OS map and allow caching of maps?

James

Drac

ViewRanger it really is very good.

glenh
    Free Member

Anquet is apparently just about to release their iphone app.

CountZero

Viewranger. If you have an existing disc with maps on from a Symbian phone you can get a new registration number from
    Viewranger and install the maps on your iPhone via wifi. There are some features missing, like the panorama view and buddybeacon, but after I emailed them one Sunday evening I got a reply at 10.30 that night to say that there were updates to come. Just waiting for an iPhone 4 to put it on.

steelfan
    Free Member

+1 for Viewranger. I used it in the Cairngorms last week for the first time with it stuffed in a camera case strapped to my rucsac strap. It tracked really well and never lost a signal unlike Memory Map which as soon as you cover the phone up it tracks all over the place and sometimes not at all!
    Will be interesting to see Anquet version.

GrahamS

I currently use "MotionX GPS" which doesn't have real OS maps, but does offer "Terrain" maps from thr OpenCycleMap project.

Obviously the maps are not quite as detailed as real OS maps – but they do have the major advantage that they are FREE.

(the app itself costs ~£2, and there is a free Lite version which only allows smaller areas of map to be pre-loaded onto the phone).

Jammy111
    Free Member

ive downloaded that motion x as it is only cheap and figured id give i a try before purchasing one of the more expensive ones. Anyone know of any websites that have .gpx files of routes available to download?

GrahamS

I think Google Maps/Earth can save as gpx and there are a few converters from other popular formats available.

MotionX does "Bearing to Waypoint" style navigation, so it is best to just define a few waypoints on your route within the app.

It'll also record your route as you go, with nice speed and altitude graphs too.

CountZero

Just had a shufti at Anquet's 'site, and it gets even better; they're releasing a Mac desktop version as well as the iPhone version. Fantastic news, and not before time. Well done Anquet.

Drac

Beacon buddy is out on iPhone viewranger.

Mugboo

I'm using Memory Map (early days).

Doesn't seem dear at £20.00. 750km2 costs £12.50.

Does anybody know how to get it to record my route more acurately?

I can plan a route easily enough but when i record where i have been it leaves straight lines so i assume its not checking itself often enough?

Anybody know what i alter to improve this?

GrahamS

Nice feature of MotionX is that you can tell it what mode of transport you are using and it adjusts the frequency of gps points based on that.

Not got MemiryMap but perhaps there is a similar setting?

Rio

+1 for Memory Map, seems to work well and has real OS maps stored on the phone and can also download new areas on the fly via WiFi, 3G etc.

Anybody know what i alter to improve this?

Try reducing the Vector Timescale in the GPS settings.

Mugboo

Cheers Rio, shame about missing the World Cup! Nevermind as it turns out, probably a good thing! 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘OS Map/ Route Planner on Iphone’ is closed to new replies.