Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • OS getamap help please! Printing probs.
  • cinnamon_girl

OK, have taken out another year’s subsscription thinking it would be ideal for current predicament.

Usual thing of two adjoining maps so thought getamap would be easier than photocopying my Explorer maps. FAIL!!

getamap printing has huge margins all around so effectively only have around 3/4 of desired coverage. Also printing quality is pants.

Can anyone help or advise please? Scotroutes?

Thanks awfully. 🙂

scotroutes

Hello 😉

Margins: There are two margins. One is completely white and is about 12mm on every side. The other is a faded area which shows the grid square numbers (and OS Copyright info) and is around 10mm all around. If I’m that fussy about the latter, I just make sure there is some overlap. Switching off the latter might be handy but there doesn’t seem to be an option for it.

Print Quality: Stunning on my Epson Inkjet. I always opt to use the print using system dialogue option rather than the default settings as I can then adjust for paper type etc. Make sure you have any Photo Enhance mode switched Off.

FWIW, the new version of Getamap should be with us in a couple of months.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I usually save-as a PDF then print as I find I have more flexibility that way including re-saving a second time as a JPG and/or importing into a drawing programme/app like sketchbook express so I can mark the maps up

cinnamon_girl

Ha! Knew you’d be able to help scotroutes. 😀 Margins are more than 10/12 mm, will investigate that. Using Epson Inkjet with new cartridges and it just doesn’t look ‘crisp’. If I photocopied my own map it would look considerably sharper. Hmmm shall check photo enhance mode.

Thanks very much. 8)

jambalaya – thanks and that’s certainly an idea. 🙂

Spin
    Free Member

Why not just do a screen grab from Bing maps and then manipulate in whatever photo editing software you use?

Cowman

Anyone know whats coming in the new one? Hope we can name waypoints.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Anyone know whats coming in the new one? Hope we can name waypoints.

@cowman
    hopefully it will run properly on a Mac rather than the scrolling going mental or just hanging, although everytime I mention this the OS folk just point at MS Silverlight and vaguely suggest I try a Windows PC

scotroutes

I believe the new version doesn’t use Silverlight, but then folk that use a niche operating system should learn to expect compatability problems.

CG – are you using glossy paper and the correct settings for it?

edlong
    Free Member

I believe the new version doesn’t use Silverlight

Well, hurrah for that. I’ve let my subscription lapse since I can’t currently use it (getamap) on any of the devices we have at home, due to the dependence on Microsoft Silverlight. I’m sure I’m not the only one – most people I know who, until a couple of years ago had Windows PCs / laptops at home now use tablets (usually iPads or Android / Chrome) and a product that only works on Windows PCs is a bit of a crap offer for the home market these days imo.

cinnamon_girl

CG – are you using glossy paper and the correct settings for it?

No, just plain bog-standard paper as I’ve always done. Normally I just print from my Tracklogs software which is Landranger scale. Particularly needed Explorer scale on this occasion hence my first attempt at printing from getamap.

Subscription currently £15.99 with the code GAMAUG in case anyone is interested. 🙂

flatfish
    Free Member

scrolling going mental

Hurrah

jambalaya
    Free Member

I believe the new version doesn’t use Silverlight, but then folk that use a niche operating system should learn to expect compatability problems.

Now now play nicely 😯 . If it doesn’t run on my Mac/iPad I don’t use it, lots of other choices. I love the OS so I support them with subscription but it has been a challenge. Great news if they are ditching Silverlight.

By the way I found out (at the Tower of London) that its called the Ordnance Survey as it was set up to help the artillery (shells = ordnance) as accurate mapping of the land and terrain was required for accurate targetting !

mattjg
    Free Member

FWIW I recently ordered a custom printed map of my local riding area, as it falls across 2 standard sheets. You can set the map centre as well as title and cover photo.

The result was excellent, delivered in a few days and only a pound or 2 more than buying a standard map. Would use again.

Cowman

Removing of silverlight would be excellent. I too keep this as a subscription after trying quos subscription mapping. Which was aweful. Pity as their software is first-rate. (Use this for all my main work). I also would like to see text descriptions that can be longer that 255 characters.

Sent them an email abit ago about this, they said thanks and just wait for the new one.

Got high expectations. Hope its html5 based. Now that would be a gamechanger. With a decent api

Cow

thorlz
    Free Member

Would be usefull to be able to import. gpx files from strava.

I always get the error of “too many waypoint” (or sonething like that).

Maybe I should email them

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘OS getamap help please! Printing probs.’ is closed to new replies.