Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Organising biking holiday in the UK (from Spain)
  • eckinspain
    Free Member

I'm thinking about trying to organise a biking trip to the UK for a group of people from our cycle club here in Madrid, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

I always read on here about companies in Spain, France etc that organise riding trips, but I suppose there are ones in the UK too – can anyone recommend one? Ideally I'd like to go to Scotland I think, but other venues would be considered. Maybe a mix of routes with some trail centres thrown in (as none of us have been to a trail centre before).

The other option is to try to organise it myself (with the help of STW) and put together a plan of routes, places to stay, bike hire if necessary etc. This would almost certainly end up being a pain in the arse for me but is likely to work out cheaper and I can obviously tailor it to the group. I don't really know how many people would come – maybe a dozen.

Thanks in advance

jedi

hire a bus and arrange days led by stw regulars around the uk!

uplink
    Free Member

Not used them myself but this may help

http://www.trailbrakes.co.uk/output/7stanes_safari.asp

cookeaa

I'd stay in spain, the UK is shite why do you think we all bugger off to france in the summer…

eckinspain
    Free Member

hire a bus and arrange days led by stw regulars around the uk!

don't think it hasn't gone through my head! We could get personal local-guided routes of the best places around the UK!

jedi

i'm serious! do it do it do it do it

spoon
    Free Member

Why the hell would you want to do that ! the riding is the UK is sh*te compared to Spain !

The alps is even less of a drive !

I can feel abuse coming my way already… ho hum.

Mackem

Spain's great but there's brillinat riding in UK too. It would be nice for the Spanish to see some trails with trees.

spoon
    Free Member

Ok fair enough, thats true, perhaps some sort of riding exchange program, . Spain –>Uk for Uk —>Spain.

eckinspain
    Free Member

Spain's great but there's brillinat riding in UK too. It would be nice for the Spanish to see some trails with trees.

Yeah, that's part of the reason. There isn't really that much singletrack here (Madrid – I don't know about in other parts) but people don't seem very interested in it anyway. I'd like to show them something different. They're quite happy riding the same fireroads week in week out so I reckon a change of scenery and riding would do them a world of good!

TBH one of the reasons is that I want to ride in the UK too – I only took up riding here so I've never ridden in the UK apart from commuting in London.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Make sure you take them on a highland hikabikethrubog route 🙂 That should be different for them

eckinspain
    Free Member

Will do TJ 🙂 Must also include hail, midges, fog and general dreich. Ideally all on the same day!

nasher
    Free Member

Try Andy from go-where based in Innerleithen ….really good set up, they can pick you up from the airport, fantastic acommodation, will take you around the 7 stanes but also more of the wilder stuff, guided, unguided etc….

go-where.co.uk

StirlingCrispin

We had some riders come from Madrid to Callander (near Stirling) for a long weekend of riding and they loved it!

They loved the mud, they loved the rain, they loved the roots, they loved the scenery.

Mark at Wheels of Callander / Trossachs Tryst sorted them out with accommodation and bikes and stuff.

eckinspain
    Free Member

that looks interesting nasher – thanks.

Mackem

Definitely take them to the Lake district.

mavisto
    Free Member

eckinspain – Member

I'm thinking about trying to organise a biking trip to the UK

WHY???????

Unless we get a miracle and have a good summer it will be cold, wet and muddy.

If you are riding on the roads, they are badly kept, too busy and the cars will treat you like you don't exist.

If you are riding off road, unfortunately, the majority of rights of way in the United Kingdom are footpaths and you can't ride on those (legally). There are some great forest trails and a few specific riding centres, but to do general off roading usually takes quite a bit of local knowledge as you can't just head off into the hills.

If you really want to ride in the UK, you could try something like the C2C (Coast to Coast) LINKY. There are off road sections within the ride and you will hopefully get to experience some stunning countryside with not as much traffic.

You might also want to have a look at SUSTRANS. They have lots of cycle routes, although mainly on road, but they would allow you to cycle between some of the better off road areas on less congested routes.

Mackem

Mavisto – wind up surely?

uplink
    Free Member

but to do general off roading usually takes quite a bit of local knowledge as you can't just head off into the hills.

I don't recognise where you're talking about

eckinspain
    Free Member

mavisto – it will be off-road that we'll be doing.

It can't be that bad, surely? People post up photos on here every week that look great. Or should I stick to trail centres?

The C2C sounds interesting but that's more likely to involve more faff like sleeping bags, tents, carrying own food etc. I think I'd prefer to ride somewhere for a day then go back to hotel/B&B/bunkhouse for food, booze and sleep.

mt
    Free Member

speak to Stu Price at inquiries@dalesbikecentre.co.uk
    Tel: 0044 (0)1748 884908

Rides in the Yorkshire Dales are brilliant.

Mackem

eckinspain – you most definitely can "just head up into the hills". Another thing the Spanish might be impressed with are maps that are ave actually an accurate reflection of reality.

takisawa2

Wales. Accommodation plentiful, some good Trail Centres that should yield a decent couple of days riding. Bike hire at some of them also. Got to be worth a go.

eckinspain
    Free Member

Mackem, if you gave them a map they wouldn't know what to do with it! An expensive GPS that you rely on until it sends you the wrong way, however…everyone's got one of those!

mavisto
    Free Member

It can't be that bad, surely? People post up photos on here every week that look great. Or should I stick to trail centres?

Legally and I emphasise legally, depending on the area that you choose, there might look like there are loads of places to ride off road, but that just isn't the case.

You CAN ride on BRIDLEWAYS (and I admit there are loads of them), BYWAYS OPEN TO ALL TRAFFIC, FOREST TRACKS AND PATHS, GREEN LANES and WHITE ROADS.

You CANNOT ride on FOOTPATHS, CANAL TOW-PATHS (some you can), DISUSED RAILWAY LINES (again, some you can).

You need to think where you want to go to (north, south etc) and then get some maps (or something like Anquet).

Don't know if this LINKY will help.

mavisto
    Free Member

Mackem – Member
    you most definitely can "just head up into the hills".

Not legally!!

stabilizers
    Chew
    Free Member

Anwsering the question.

There are lots of places to ride over here. We're quite blessed we what we have on our doorstep.

Great riding in;
    Most of Scotland
    Most of Wales
    Lakes
    Peak District
    Yorkshire Dales & Moors
    Exmoor/Dartmoor

Depends on what kind of riding you're looking fo scenic, technical, easy, and time of year, with the weather making some places non-ridable.

If i was over here for a week, i'd be tempted to head for Scotland. Good mixture of trail centers and Natural stuff, and go furhter north to Laggan and Aviemore. Great scenary, and very different to Madrid, plus i'm sure someone local will be willing to show you some of the natuaral stuff as well.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Eckinspain we've http://www.forestfreeride.co.uk arranged trips for various overseas groups in the past. Over the course of a week we've done trail centre days, epic rides into the mountains and even overnight trips staying in bothies … the group from San Fransisco thought that was very strange 😉

Might be of interest, oh yea, we're in Wales 45 mins from CYB and Nant Yr Arian trail centres.

Stuart

mavisto
    Free Member

THIS may also help a little.

I'd much rather be looking for off road MTB routes than working!!!

al_f
    Free Member

Mavisto, the OP is British so I think he might know what a footpath and a bridleway are. 🙄 And you can just head off into the hills (even in England), providing you stick to rights of way: there's this amazing device called "an OS map" that tells you where those are. Sorted. however, to find the best riding I agree some sort of local knowledge helps.

OP, why not a road trip around Welsh/Scottish trail centres if you want to avoid mapreading issues, maybe with one or two STW-guided rides thrown in for a bit of "natural" riding?

doug_basqueMTB.com

eck, I'm looking at the same thing here at the moment. I ride with a big bunch of people from all over Spain and the last meeting they were very keen to come to the UK. I think I'm going to take them over around September/October if I have a gap in bookings. It's maybe a bit different from what you're doing because we ride plenty of singletrack here but they're quite intrigued by the idea of the trail centres because they have nothing like them here. I'm thinking of hiring a minibus and taking them to the lakes for a day, then up to the 7-stanes, laggan, aviemore and finish off with some northern stuff (golspie etc). I'd like to fit in a visit to Skye but it'll depend on time and weather. The idea was to show them some of Scotland, drink some whisky and proper beer, ride some natural stuff and the best of the trail centres.

Mackem, I want to show them an OS map, just to let them see why I'm so frustrated with their 'maps'.

ebygomm
    Free Member

You can easily just head up into the hills, admittedly in England and Wales you have to stick to certain routes but it's not hard to find out which and not particularly restrictive, especially when everything is new to you.

I think you could easily choose a destination, hire a bunkhouse, pick up a vertebrate graphics book and do some nice riding and visit trail centres as well.

stabilizers

I agree with Chew. The biggest bang for your euro so to speak without the access complications.

Chew
    Free Member

Just the drive from Glasgow to Lagan, will make the trip worthwhile, passing all of the Scottish Lochs, Castles and Mountains, and thats before you do any riding.

Fly to Edinburgh/Glasgow, hire a van and travel round for the week. Cheap to do Laggan and Aviemore are fantastic and you could have a guide/local show you round for a day or too.

You've now got me planning my next trip up there now…..

eckinspain
    Free Member

I like the sound of a mix of natural and trail centres (roping in STW help where possible) in Scotland/Lakes/Wales and especially showing them proper beer and whisky!

(Doug, would love to come up to país vasco too – might arrange a weekend with the wife)

PS ebygomm a vertebrate graphics book??

doug_basqueMTB.com

eck, give me a shout if you're doing that and I'll show you about. It's reet nice up here!

Proper beer and whisky is a definite, although whisky is significantly cheaper here than it is at home.

ebygomm
    Free Member

eckinspain
    Free Member

ooh, check them books!

thanks

Mackem

Aye, it's nice where Doug is. If you come oop north I can show round my neck of the woods too (Bilbao).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Organising biking holiday in the UK (from Spain)’ is closed to new replies.