• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Oregon driving licence
  • ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

I've been driving round the lovely state of Oregon recently and it was suggested that I have a peruse of their Highway Code, just to make sure I understand the rules. Interesting reading. Right from the start it's made clear that driving is a privilege you earn, not a right you have. They don't ban you from driving, they revoke your driving privileges. Drink driving=1 years loss of driving privileges with no appeal, 2nd conviction=3 years loss of privileges, 3rd=lifetime loss, 4th= felony, go to jail. You can lose these privileges for non-driving offences. For example, you can start driving at 15 on one type of licence. If you're over 15 and get expelled from school for certain offences (eg bringing a firearm to school)=loss of driving privileges. Fallen behind with child support payments by more than $2500 or 3 months late – guess what?
    On junctions, pedestrians and cyclists have right of way. And given the Sue You cultre, that means it's pretty safe to walk and cycle.
    Speed limits are more or less the same as the UK, and enforced to pretty much the same extent, except at roadworks where speed limits are reduced (like UK) but are more rigidly enforced and fines are doubled.

And I have to say, the standard of driving is pretty high (unless it's me)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The topic ‘Oregon driving licence’ is closed to new replies.