Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Ordnance Survey maps on Android phones
  • defaultslipper
    Free Member

[/quote]Is it me or is Trek Buddy useless on touchscreen phones?

Runs fine here on HTC legend. touchscreen is set out the same way it would be on a phone with a physical keyboard

Bez

On my HTC Desire I just get a map – the ‘Info’ option lists the numeric keys I’m supposed to press in order for it to do anything useful.

defaultslipper
    Free Member

Have you taken a look at the user guide?

Linky

Has a screenshot of how the buttons are positioned on touchscreen phones.
    If you press the menu hard button on the phone, or press bottom left on your screen (there is no visible button but just press right in the corner) it brings up the menu. Press ‘Start’ to record a tracklog (gpx) of your routes. The info lists numbers as you would find them if the screen was a physical numberpad (i.e. 1 is top left, 3 is top right, 7 is bottom left, 9 is bottom right). Take a look at the link I have given and it should become much clearer!

Bez

Bloody hell…!

As a UI designer I’m torn between uninstalling it because it makes me want to cry, or keeping it in case I need an example of a horrific UI for a presentation.

prop
    Free Member

Just got a Desire and started to look at GPS mapping.

It looks like MOBAC the software used to produce maps for alpinquest (and Others)has had OS maps taken off them.

If anyone has a set of UK OS maps I can “borrow” could you please PM me.

Paul

DT78
    Free Member

Just read this thread and realised it’s a 3 months old!

Anyways to the OP, in case you re-read this, I’m pretty certain you are in breach of the OS Openspace T&C’s in that anything you develop using the free version of openspace should be available for free.

You may find (depending on sales of your app) some unhappyish customers as there are limits to the number of tiles that can be displayed in any 24hr period depending on usage (60,000 I think)

If you want to sell your app you should really be looking to upgrade to the OS Openspace pro version.

If you want I can put you in touch with the OS product manager, let me know – email in my profile.

To prop – I’d recommend using opensource mapping, something like you can see on talkytoaster or similar sites. If you go round ripping off OS data you potentially put other fellow mountain bikers, like me, jobs at risk.

bigjim

If you go around ripping off OS data you potentially put yourself in trouble too, they are pretty good at protecting their property, as the AA found out to the tune of £20 million a few years ago!

bassspine
    Free Member

prop – OS explorer and multimap OS are still available on MOBAC for me. Is it something you’ve said?

jules.b
    Free Member

Prop – I’ve recently downloaded MOBAC and I see no OS maps either.

jolly47roger
    Free Member

The latest edition of MyTrails on the Android market has support for maps created from OS Opendata supplemented by Open Street Map data.

MadBillMcMad

maverick for me.

it’s free, does OS, google maps and OpenCycle map among others, and caches the maps on the phone.

For retro83 & others wanting a guide on how to get large areas of maps on to your phone I knocked this up.

http://owtbutwork.blogspot.com/2011/07/creating-storing-maps-on-your-phone.html

robbespierre
    Free Member

Hi,

Just got a new phone (Samsung Galaxy Ace) and am looking to put OS Mapping and route tracing software/apps on it. Would prefer to store the maps on the SD card.
    Most of this thread is way out of date, can I have some updated recommendations please?

cheers

rnewmark
    Free Member

Hi, Me too. I have just got an Android phone and want to put the whole of the UK at 1:50,000 on the SD card (Ordnance Survey mapping). I’ve looked at Alpine Quest and the MOAC software, but I don’t know which zoom level to use, and if I use the highest level, I think it would take me 3 weeks to download everything. Has anyone got a shared dropbox folder with all the downloaded files, or any clues as to how to do this in a reasonable time?
    Thanks

robbespierre
    Free Member

Surely someone has some suggestions on this?

clubber
    Free Member

Do you really need OS – if you can live with OSM (which where I’ve ridden at least, is just as good) then there are plenty of cheap/free apps that will do what you want.

As a starter though, try this – it allows downloads though I don’t know if that includes OS.

https://market.android.com/details?id=es.prodevelop.gvsig.mini&hl=en

andrewy

I used Alpinequest, and found it pretty good, but more recently I bit the bullet and got Viewranger to replace it. It’s not free, although it is a lot cheaper than a dedicated mapping gps, but it really is good. I took the view that I would have the ‘phone with me anyway, and although I couldn’t afford a new gps, I could get Viewranger and the relevant maps at reasonable cost.

Having used it for a while, I have to say it’s great. The maps are very clear, you can use OS maps, OSM, OCM etc, upload gpx files, see all the track data and so on. Basically, if you want a proper, usable OS mapping gps on the (relatively) cheap, Viewranger’s it.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Try OS atlas lite

stayhigh

I’ve got OS atlas lite and find that it can take forever to find a signal, load maps from cache and from the wonderweb. When it works its good but find it unreliable.

FWIW I have a Wildfire on Vodafone.

mtbtortoise
    Free Member

I find Backcountry Navigator works really well for me. Viewranger has some odd gaps and bits where bridleways are drawn as footpaths in my experience.

ampthill

Back Country Navigator lets you cash unlimited maps at 1:50000 and 1:25000 at home via wi fi

I’m sure its a loop hole that’ll be closed one day but for the moment its great

DickBarton

If you had a memory maps t directory of maps but not mm tracker, is there a free app that reads them? I use Oruxmaps for tracking a ride and HRM but it won’t read the mm format.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Ordnance Survey maps on Android phones’ is closed to new replies.