• This topic has 17 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by FOG.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Ordering bikey goods from NZ? Rip off Customs charge
  • cinnamon_girl

Ordered pair of cycling trousers from Ground Effect and have to pay £23.85 to Customs and Royal Mail. Turned out to be an expensive purchase. 😐

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep, there is a tax to pay on importing goods. Not a rip off just the same as other retailers have to add to their goods.
    Handy check here
    http://www.dutycalculator.com/

scotroutes

How is that a “rip off”?

johnners
    Free Member

The Customs and Excise bit is fair enough, the charge RM levy to collect it can come as a bit of a surprise, especially as a proportion of a relatively low value order.

CG, how does the £23.85 break down?

atlaz
    Free Member

I was once 3 quid over the minimum but it cost me a few quid in VAT plus another 15 quid handling (I think).

plumber
    Free Member

yep typically £15 for resting the item in the post office for a few days

plumber
    Free Member

oh

mikewsmith
    Free Member

plumber – Member
    yep typically £15 for resting the item in the post office for a few days

Yep I’m sure it just sits there, while they work out what category the goods are, enters the details, calculates the charges, invoices, collects the payment then submits all the returns to customs and excise.

cinnamon_girl

Will investigate as there is no breakdown given. I regularly import pharmaceuticals for my own use so this is really worrying me especially as am awaiting a shipment.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

run it through the duty calculator linked above and it will tell you what the duty and vat component was. The rest will be admin, you can also see what the potential is for drugs.

drlex
    Free Member

Unlucky – have had three orders from GE, all w.o. C&E/RM charges.

(Although my luck hasn’t extended to lottery tickets or premium bonds.)

atlaz
    Free Member

I regularly import pharmaceuticals for my own use

I’m pretty sure being the home counties very own Tony Montana isn’t really something to be discussed on an MTB forum

cinnamon_girl

Thanks to Mike for the duty calculator link and it would appear that the charge is pretty accurate. First time I’ve had to pay with a GE order which is a shame as their stuff is great.

Thousands of people with my condition have to import their own drugs for the rest of their days. 😐

cinnamon_girl

Just to add that trousers were £79 plus £6 postage.

Drac

Hmmm!! I’ve a friend trying to find this guy is it you CG?

devash
    Free Member

I regularly import pharmaceuticals for my own use so this is really worrying me especially as am awaiting a shipment

Silk Road? 😈

cinnamon_girl

Guys – just be glad that you don’t have an uncommon thyroid disorder where the NHS won’t pay for medication.

FOG

Vote UKIP! you can then re-establish links and favourable tariffs with the Commonwealth once out of this Nasty EU!
    Err.., just a joke, honest.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Ordering bikey goods from NZ? Rip off Customs charge’ is closed to new replies.