Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Orbea Rallon X10- why not? alternatives?
  • mrwhyte
    Free Member

The time has come to upgrade- looking for something for my Welsh rides when I relocate near the borders.

I have taken to the Orbea Rallon X10- but wondered if there were any other bikes that are a similar price or cheaper, that are just as good- I love saving money, so anything slightly under the 3k would be good too. Also eyed up the G160 from Whyte, the RS model, very tempted by that also.

Thoughts?

doug_basqueMTB.com

Awesome bike the Rallon. The X10 is probably the one I´d buy. Search around for last year´s model to save money, both are great.

jk1980
    Free Member

Why not? Perhaps a bit flexy at the back. My brother had one and sold it, citing this as the reason. It would be on my list personally but anyway if 160mm I’d also look at:

YT Capra
    GT Sanction
    Giant Reign
    Patrol
    Nomad (maybe used if on a budget!)

Loads of choice in this category but that would be a start

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

I bought one and I love it.

chakaping
    Free Member

Rallon and Reign were top of my list – got a great deal on the latter.

Since then there’s the Airdrop Edit and the Whyte G160 that you’re already looking at. Canyon Strive Race and Kona Process 153 could also be worth considering.

All of these are based purely on the geometry.

orena45
    julians
    Free Member

Kona process 153?

Commencal meta v4?

Gt sanction?

I have the rallon,had it for over a year now, its great, havent noticed a flexy rear end. Its very confidence inspiring,very fast downhill.

The sanction is the one I would most like to try of the above

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I will have to have a look at those others too. I wanted something a little more aggressive where I could attack the downhills, rather than keep searching for ‘perfect’ lines.

I think bike active had a few deals on, with the Rallon & Meta.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

The rallon rides like a dh bike. No flex issues at all. A proper grown up trail bike.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Flex? Nope! Unless you bought the QR version which is now discontinued. The new boost version is even stiffer. Your brother could have swapped dropouts for not much money and solved that issue.

kayak23

Considered the new Mega?
    Looks a good option to me.

Go for it . I have a rallon and find it more fun than my DH bike .
    You could also buy just the frame set and build it up your own spec .

v666ern
    Free Member

Kona process 153?

s3x wee came out then 😳

Cotic Rocket?

sprocker
    Free Member

I snapped my Dune so chose between process 153, whyte g160rs and rallon. The Rallon arrives tomorrow it seemed good value especially with discount and free pedals from Bike Active. 2016 model looking forward to getting on it. Not much to chose between the 3 from what I could see.

verbboy
    Free Member

Currently looking for a frame to build up for the mega, want a threaded BB and external routing.

New Mega 275 – but seems to be a delay in getting one.

GT Sanction looks like it could be worth considering

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Erm, see the title of this thread 🙂 I’d be more than happy doing the mega on the Rallon. It pedals great and feels like a DH bike when you want it to.

Northwind

How’s the mud clearance? Only one I’ve seen in the flesh, I overtook because the frame was blocked solid with genuine #enduro mud, but that was orrible conditions and he might have had some daft tyre.

I want the yellow and black, lovely

julians
    Free Member

How’s the mud clearance? Only one I’ve seen in the flesh, I overtook because the frame was blocked solid with genuine #enduro mud, but that was orrible conditions and he might have had some daft tyre.

its seems decent, but obviously depends on the tyres. I have a 2.3 specialized slaughter, and on a recent trip to portugal the wheel was still turning fine with the tyre an inch thick caked in mud, where a mates specialized enduro with 2.3 hans dampf had locked up .

julians
    Free Member

Currently looking for a frame to build up for the mega, want a threaded BB and external routing.

Rallon has threaded BB and external routing.

orena45

Northwind – Member

Wasn’t me on Stage 5 at UKGE Dyfi last year was it?! 😆
    (Though that was a Minion DHF, Mucky Nutz, Deville fork & a shed-load of fresh claggy mud combo rather than the frame!)

wrecker
    Free Member

Rallon and Reign were top of my list – got a great deal on the latter.

Ha! Me too! I couldn’t find a Rallon and Orbea couldn’t be arsed to email me back so I went elsewhere.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

The deal on bike active does look good. I am going to phone see if they can still offer the 10% next week, as it is the only time I can get up there.

I think you guys have given me my answer…. the Rallon it is. But which colour??!

doug_basqueMTB.com

The mud clearance on the old model was tight but the new one is roomy back there. Boost 148 for the win (shoot me for saying that).

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’m glad i got the old 2015 model to avoid boost…also the geo feels great the way it is. 🙂 I thought my old reign was good at point and shoot messy boulder root lines with it’s 180mm ti 66s, but this thing is better (with 170mm lyriks).

Northwind

orena45 – Member

Wasn’t me on Stage 5 at UKGE Dyfi last year was it?!

Nah, it was vallelujah I think.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Is it worth getting any of the extras on the build? Tempted with the XT brakes. Did any of you guys get an upgrades?

Sprocker- I think you must be the reason I will have to wait for mine! Phoned up yesterday and they said their last stock item had been sold that week.

julians
    Free Member

I bought frame only (with bos kirk shock and bolt through back end), and built it up from there.

I did use XT brakes though, and they are excellent.

Spec

Rockshox pike rct3 160mm fork (soon to be replaced with 170mm lyrik rct3)
    BOS kirk shock
    Shimano xt brakes
    Reverb stealth dropper
    Shimano SLX 170mm cranks
    Shimano XT cassette 10 speed
    works components narrow wide oval chain ring
    shimano slx rear mech
    Renthal fatbar lite carbon bar
    50mm stem
    raceface atlas pedals
    superstar carbon AM wheels/tesla evo hubs

I thought that orbea were a bit pricey when you start adding on the extras? maybe they’ve revised their pricing now? I thought it would be cheaper to buy the brakes from crc etc, then sell whatever comes on the bike before you use it.

vincienup
    Free Member

I had a blue x10 in a shopping basket for months, coveting it. I was torn over BOS and probably staying Fox, upspeccing the wheels, having the XT stoppers and carbon 35mm bar. That was about it over spec I think. The extras weren’t badly priced tbh.

In the end, I decided I don’t need so much bike. I want one but it’s too big for most of my riding. So I bought a Nuke TR instead and stuck Pikes on it…

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Julians, we’re quite similar

170mm lyrik rct3 – WELL WORTH THE UPGRADE!
    BOS kirk shock
    Shimano deore brakes
    Reverb stealth dropper
    Shimano SLX 170mm cranks
    Shimano XT cassette 10 speed
    Supertsra narrow wide chain ring
    shimano slx rear mech
    Answer pro taper carbon bar
    Renthal apex 35mm stem
    Nukeproof plastic pedals
    Hope pro2 hubs on wtb frequency 23 rims

Also got tubeless 3c shorty front and wtb vigilante heavy tough rear. Weighs 31.5lbs just now, once the drivechain wears I have a lighter praxis cassette to go on. Lyriks added nearly 1/2lb over pikes, but I’m happy with that. Once the summer tyres are on (like for that 2 week period in May) it’ll be under 30lbs.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Orbea Rallon X10- why not? alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.