Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Orannge 5 / Intense
  • medievalkneival
    Free Member

Ok. It's Sunday, back from my 6am ride and bored. Been planning for a bike upgrade for a while, the Stumpy looks and feels tired, so i'm going for an upgrade.

Thinking of Orange 5 Pro which i have tried and suits fine, although can't get any of the dealers to move on the price, even paying cash. Nevertheless, the bike itself is fine. Every write up / review of the 5 Pro is always very good. Had a quote last week which included upgraded parts and if paying cash, will do the upgrade free of charge. Sorted!

Then yesterday, my mate reckons i should have a look at the Intense 5.5 or Tracer. Some good deals on at my LBS, so may consider.

Anyone out there experience of Orange vs Intense? I am told the Intense has some issues regarding maintenance, while the Orange appears almost problem free.

I'm sort of hooked on the Orange, but curious about the Intense.

Thoughts?

jonk

Ive had many bikes but the 5 is the only one i can just oil the chain and go off for a ride. The rear end is problem free, works well and doesnt squeek! Its just they are soooo common these days!

0pt1cal
    Free Member

Intense Tracer VP has been faultless since November…great ride, sublime handling and superb build quality…amazing bike..I suggest you test ride it in both travel settings…I'm not a fan of the Orange 5. Don't like the ride, handling, noises and looks….but that's just my experience, I'm sure plenty of folks will tell your otherwise

Get out and test ride both I'm sure you'll notice the difference.

slowrider
    Free Member

you should definitely test the intense if you are considering one, vpp is great and all but like every suspension system it isnt for everyone.

ive recently bought a 5 with talas 36's. its noisy in rocky stuff, looks a bit agricultural and rides different in terms of rear suspension and geometry to my old bike which i loved. despite (and also because of) this i love it and dont regret the change at all. for a lot of xc stuff its more bike than you need, but if you like to give it some when the trail gets a bit lairy then id wholeheartedly recommend it. you really need to try them out on your own trails though i reckon, just cos mbr give it ten doesnt mean its the bike for you!

the maxle option is well worth it too IMO.

medievalkneival
    Free Member

Well, i'm riding mostly in the lake district these days. Winlatter, Grizedale for the trail centres and planning to ride more of Skiddaw and the likes. Having ridden may mates 5 Pro, it seemed to fit the bill for what i wanted. Problem i have with the Intense is getting one built up to test ride, my LBS has frames only.

Thanks for the feedback guys

jockhaggis
    Free Member

If you are looking at the 5 also try a Heckler.

bobster
    Free Member

Try the 5.5, you may like it, it's a great bike.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Yep, VPP is fantastic – pedals great and back end feels really tight . . . until the bearings go. To be fair, although I'm not exactly hard on bikes, my Tazer was ridden almost every day in all conditions and very well looked after – the bearings were fine for 6 months or so but once a little play developed it became quite noticeable and definitely new bearing time. I suppose a bearing change once or twice a year is not exactly going to break the bank to keep it running sweet but the Intense bikes have 8 bearings! My next bike will be a single pivot (still have that Slopestyle on the wishlist though 😉 ).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Orannge 5 / Intense’ is closed to new replies.