Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Orange/iPhone PAYG rant
  • Podium
    Free Member

Transferred to Orange back in Sept -PAYG Sim in my hacked 2G iphone.

Very rarely used as most of my calls are incoming

Did the official unlock few weeks ago.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy so far.

Use iPhone to stream music over home wifi network.

Lovely

Text from Orange this morning saying my credit is low.

Hmm,that's strange as I think I have made 2 or 3 short calls since Sept.

Seems I have been stung for data transfer since my official unlock.

How can they "charge" me for streaming music [radio app] over my home wifi network?

Unless i am being thick..

Think I'll get a Touch and tell em where to go.

Problems with 02,T mobile and now Orange.

Any recommendations who to try next?

I hate mobile phone companies with a passion.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

I am on orange and have a phone with wifi. Orange had activated a setting where the wifi would boost the signal in my house therefore not using wifi as such. Then all traffic was through my router but costing me!!

this is what i went through to sort it
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/lg-mobile-phone-discussions/1053600-lg-gt505-how-i-get-browser-use-wi-fi.html

joemarshall
    Free Member

You must have screwed up somewhere, and it isn't using wifi, it is using GPRS (mobile network) data, at least for something. Just to check, it isn't something silly like you use google maps when you're out, or you have it set to pick up emails?

Joe

Podium
    Free Member

I haven't screwed anything up Joe.
    It's an Orange fukup.
    I have been charged for GPRS data transfer when I am streaming music via wifi.
    Nothing more,nothing less.
    I stream music and take incoming calls.That's it.
    Fetch has long been turned off.
    Retrieve those on computer.

Seems to have happened only since the official unlock.All settings are as they should be on phone to avoid any data charges.

Cheers Rob.I'll check that link.

crikey
    Free Member

I use an Orange contract phone, but use my home WiFi at home. Sounds like you've got something running on the iPhone like mobile internet or email that is constantly on. Look in the settings and turn it all off.

davidpurvis
    Free Member

Orange have (or at least HAD) an Executive Office, who are basically Customer Service without the "it's against our policy" rubbish and generally sort things out. I know this as I used to work there!

Try them – I believe its 0870 8700 862, or was when I was there.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I have been charged for GPRS data transfer when I am streaming music via wifi.

Something either you or they have done to your phone is making it do GPRS data transfer. They can't detect you using wifi, they just don't have the technology to do that, your wifi router isn't connected to their network in any way, and when the phone talks on wifi it doesn't talk to them. It may be a proxy server or something weird in their settings, but that is the only way you can have the charges on your bill. Like the guy above with the LG phone described, sometimes phone settings to sort this can be hard to find.

Joe

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Are you confident you GPRS setting is properly off on the iphone?

jam-bo

You can put it in airplane mode to disable all the radios and then turn wifi back on

Podium
    Free Member

All the settings are as they should be [am into my 3rd year with this phone..]

Pretty certain it's an issue their end as was using the Orange Sim from Sept – all was fine and dandy.

Only when it was officially unlocked from 02 in Nov when Orange entered the IPhone scene did it go tits up.

Already been on to them – still waiting for the call back they promised several hrs ago.

Doubt I'm the only one this has happened to.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Oh, I just thought about this – is it when Orange started officially supporting the iPhone and turned on visual voicemail that it started doing this? Visual voicemail uses GPRS data.

Joe

glenh
    Free Member

Orange doesn't have visual voicemail.

I'm with you though Joe, I can't see any possible way Orange could charge you for data that goes through your home wifi. The phone must be using some mobile network data (which it will if it can and wifi isn't available, like for a short while after resuming from sleep). On most phones it's easy to stop this permanently by changing the apn so the network won't allow access, but it's trickier on an iphone (i think you need to install/edit manually a 'profile').

Before your unlock you probably only had apn details for o2, so the phone would have been prevented form accessing data on orange, but the unlock (or some over the air update from orange?) may have added the orange apn.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Are you sure it's not just your wifi signal dropping off in the house and switching to GPRS to do the job?

My wifi is a bit patchy and it drops off. Page still dowloads but it costs me. I have an unlocked iphone on T-mobile

MM

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I've been with Orange for years and have never had a problem with them. When there have been oddities on my bill I've called them and it's always been sorted to my satisfaction, even when I was, technically, in the wrong.
    Daft question but did you try them before coming on here expecting an answer??

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Orange/iPhone PAYG rant’ is closed to new replies.